RCID is one step closer to being dissolved

I’ve been following this in the news and chalked it up as political posturing. I don’t really see them following through with the bill. But I am curious what would happen to Disney if this became law. I asked a friend who is highly Disney knowledgeable (has published about Disney)and he didn’t seem to know. People on the forum seem to know a lot more.

2 Likes

I’d be surprised if they did.

And as ridiculous as I think the notion of Disney relocating, I do think Disney would be more reticent to make future investments in Florida.

1 Like

Wasnt it also soon after Desantis first said that he was going to bring this to the table that Disney then released thier statement about earmarking 80 acres of land for affordable housing in orange county. I mean…already sounds to me like Disney is starting to stack the blocks for a defense. Not sure how it would affect it but the timing suggests to me it may?

2 Likes

I say this goes away after November 8th …

5 Likes

Not to speak to the level of DeSantis… an extremist group tried to recently take on ESPN and by default Disney in some shady things and the response by the company’s legal team was insane. This thing seems like cake for them. It’s almost laughable.

2 Likes

I’ll comment on my own comment to say this thread has lead me to book a trip as we speak :joy:

7 Likes

This is why those other small districts also formed before the state passed a constitution got roped in. This way the state could call it “good governance” or “harmonizing statutes” or something like that, and not about retaliation…

1 Like

No.

There was nothing, and is nothing, preventing Disney or any other large private (which includes any publicly-traded company) from building all that infrastructure, and providing all those services, through direct private funding, at zero cost to any local jurisdictions.

The special district streamlines permitting, making the construction process faster and ultimately less expensive, and, because RCID is a bona fide municipal services entity, issue tax-free bonds to borrow money to construct that infrastructure. That last point has been a point of contention, even for Disney fans like yrs. trly., for quite some time. Disney has been less egregious about it recently than in the '80s and '90s, where they would routinely drain a big chunk of the potential underwriting pool for the whole state dry.

EDIT: also, RCID building that infrastructure, and not Disney directly, means those aren’t taxable improvements to the property.

4 Likes

Nope. The state Senate is comparatively less insane than the House, and was the higher hurdle. This is going to probably sail through the House tomorrow and will be on the governor’s desk before Monday.

1 Like

In theory, but that’s not what usually happens. Look at Disneyland. The infrastructure around it is controlled by California, Orange County, and the city of Anaheim. You are absolutely right that the permitting is a big reason to have a special district. But the local residents end up footing the bill for that infrastructure. (Which isn’t a bad deal necessarily because they are helping set up a huge economic powerhouse for their city.)

2 Likes

Why would they not file for bankruptcy protection on behalf of the RCID after taking over? Apparently Florida allows municipal bankruptcy upon meeting certain conditions, one of the conditions I believe being consent of the governor (or so it appears based on articles but no quote to an actual statute).

1 Like

Bankruptcy is out of my wheelhouse, but I would think that wouldn’t be good for whoever owns that debt (which could also be local residents if it is municipal bonds, probably Disney is a big creditor as well).

To be fair, he’s been leading healthily (by FL standards) in polls against the 2 most likely opponents for quite some time now, before this issue, before the CRT in books, etc. He didn’t really take these fights on because he can’t win otherwise, but more likely that he feels emboldened by a likely win.

4 Likes

I was just thinking if I were them I would be checking my bond insurance.

Disneyland in California is a very different situation. All those streets and such you mention may be there because of Disneyland but aren’t for its exclusive use.

There’s a large development north of Naples called Pelican Bay. About ten years ago, the residents were going to float a binding referendum about creating a municipal services taxation unit (MSTU) so that the infrastructure wouldn’t be the sole financial responsibility of the residents. It could be maintained at least in part by county money. That went directly down the tubes when the county attorneys informed them that would mean opening the roads to public traffic. So to this day they’re private roads, et cetera, and the Pelican Bay association foots the entire bill. And pays taxes on all of it. Because they couldn’t abide the unwashed cruising around their neighborhoods.

2 Likes

I think it’s safe to state that WDW is responsible for putting the Orlando area on the map and for it’s growth as a vacation destination. I don’t understand why anyone in FL would go after a solid and proven revenue source (I could make some unflattering remarks here about who would do such an unwise thing but :zipper_mouth_face:). This situation reminded me of a little town in the middle of nowhere, NM. The town complained about the jet noise and drove the jets away; forgetting that the USAF was the largest employer in the county and the school district was the second largest employer (only b/c of the USAF). It took awhile, and a few years of economic downturn, but the town reembraced the AF and they brought in more squadrons etc. Maybe Florida has to learn a lesson the hard way too? Companies can make a difference in the quality of life for their employees. This wouldn’t be the first time this has happened i.e. a city or state ordinance was overturned by corporate pressure. Although, it does look like this is a done deal it will be interesting to see what Disney does in response.

3 Likes

My sense is that the knowledge workers in most large corporations - including Disney - lean left on social issues.

3 Likes

OK this is a whole lotta reading

Just tell me please: is it too early to be marking off where they can put Cindy’s castle in the farmer’s field near my house?

11 Likes

There are a few ppl in Twitter inviting Disney to move to their ‘town’… a few different places have been mentioned. And let’s not forget that Gavin Newsome told Disney they were welcome to keep their offices in CA instead of moving them to Lake Nona, FL :wink:

2 Likes

Why does everyone pick on All Stars?

5 Likes