RCID is one step closer to being dissolved

This appears to be a clever way of doing things - I belive it only effects 5 or 6 districts that were approved before the state had a constitution, including Disney. For legal reasons (and I am not a lawyer but have been involved in writing statute) this approach helps the law hold up in court - there is a reson for the choice of this date, and the law does not solely seek to “punish” Disney - which is generally a legal no-no.

3 Likes

I would think WDW would still have a case for a retaliation lawsuit if this passes?? There is a pretty public paper trail of the actions/comments leading up to this.

8 Likes

It’d be time for them to pack up and move on again before they got any of the rides set up haha

1 Like

Disney has the best lawyers and I’m sure they’ve already firmed up defense on the chance that this actually happens.

I made a joke somewhere else on the internet that Disney would be more likely to put a hit out on Ron then they would relocate, and I’m like 70% serious about it being a joke.

5 Likes

Disney also has huge lobbying machine to employ.

1 Like

I feel like this will get resolved somehow before going in effect, but at worst, due to term limits, it might be just a temporary setback til 2027, assuming a win this fall. Thinking the next gov, either R or D, would be willing to push for a reversal.

2 Likes

But the current governor is running for re-election

Yes, but then couldn’t run again in 2026, if he goes on to win this year.

1 Like

Correction: RCID’s debt is actually $2 billion, not $2 million.

2 Likes

I’m sure WDW is willing to put money behind that candidate :joy:

1 Like

I think the current governor is testing the waters for a different election…

4 Likes

A joke but maybe one with some actual merit behind it :joy:

Yes but I think it’s also dependent on winning the governor’s seat again, right?

The governor and the mayor of Orange County don’t get along so mayor Demmings has no clout to protect his country either.

If I lived in Florida, I’d be very concerned about all this for a lot of reason that are inappropriate for this forum. But being an out-of-stater I’ll simply say is kind of dispute/controversy makes going to Florida (for WDW, beaches, visiting friends, etc.) even more unappealing than it already is.

6 Likes

Sadly it’s why we are looking to move away from the state. I’ll miss Disney.

I completely agree. But the bill was definitely written with that in mind, so that speaks to careful thought on the part of the drafters.

1 Like

I don’t understand this.

"Reedy Creek historically operates at a loss of approximately $5 to $10 million per year, per its financial reports. The current arrangement renders that meaningless since Disney is able to subsidize its own operations with theme park revenue.

According to lawmakers, though, there is as much as $1 billion in debt on the balance sheets that for which taxpayers would become responsible, possibly amounting to as much as thousands of dollars per household."

Could someone explain that to this simple girl? I see an important part of a loan as some entity has loaned money to some other group. So, the amount shouldn’t be fuzzy, and there should be a loaner and a loanee. If the local taxpayers weren’t either before, why would they be now?

3 Likes

Hey the way this is going, they might leave with you

1 Like

I’m presuming that RCID owes that money to Disney as WDW has subsidized the community.
If the state takes over that community, it would owe Disney
And - since the state would not own the theme park - have to pay out of tax revenues.

[But that’s just a guess.]