Princess 5k 2024 for Non-Runners: a Motivational Thread

How is everyone coming along? Started running at the JCC and I’m slowly coming along (notice the pun there). Totally misread the online training calendar…first week was supposed to run 1 min and walk 2 and I did the opposite…Hope everyone is well!

2 Likes

Yay, not bad. Which online training calendar do you use?

1 Like

Just found this thread!

I wrote a very similar post on February 17, 2020. Guess what happened a few short weeks later? Needless to say I lost all motivation (also work in healthcare and that time in history was no joke for us).

I was recently thinking I needed to try this plan again and my couch potato self needs Disney as the carrot. I will procrastinate my training until after my trip in 11 days (yay!) but then I’m going to join in the fun and hope to see you flying past my slow self on 2/23/24!

6 Likes

Welcome to the group of aspiring runners!

4 Likes

I’m able to run 2 miles currently in 20 min but battling a bad knee which gets aggravated by running. I think I’m learning that if I limit my runs to twice a week it’s better. Weight training has helped my knee as well. While I plan to run it, it’s also nice knowing with the 5k I can walk as much as needed.

1 Like

At least I’m not alone. I also have a bad knee (early osteoarthritis) :pensive:

1 Like

Same. I know I need it replaced but I’m trying to hang in there until age 55. I just have to learn what it will and will not tolerate from me in terms of running. I’m currently doing a 3 min walk warm up then run 5 min/walk 1 min and that is working pretty well. I think I’ll keep some walking in my format.

2 Likes

Just a word of encouragement to everyone!! Week 3 is going well. I was chatting with an 80 yo marathon runner in our neighborhood who recommended a Garmin running watch. Found “last year’s” model on Amazon and it’s been super helpful. Streams music to earbuds and the watch has a “coach” with programmed training plans. Now need to figure out all the other buttons…….

3 Likes

Good for you! Keep going :muscle:

1 Like

Well I got an injection in my knee today as the pain has really been impeding my progress. I’ll strength train this week and hopefully be back in the running game next week.

3 Likes

Feel better!!!

1 Like

Oh no. Hope it gets better soon!

1 Like

Just checking in to encourage everyone to keep going! I’m now able to jog/run for nearly 4 minutes, so the training plan is working out. Taking a break this weekend; DS16 is at a soccer tournament in Indy.

4 Likes

Thanks for checking in! As the weather gets better (and I finish my home gym) I’m hoping to be training more consistently :blush:

Sharing for encouragement. Week 5 of getting out of the office and I ran/jogged 1.5 miles today, non stop. Getting easier each week. Hope everyone else is getting out to enjoy spring (though still 12” of snow here in Wisconsin).

6 Likes

I have not been training. I have weird stiffness in my knees, mostly the left this time. I have a Dr. appointment to see what’s going on. :pensive:

1 Like

I’m headed to the gym this morning to knock out 3 miles. I’ve struggled with my knee. Some run days are good, some are not. I’ve decided this will likely be a walk/run for me. Is not worth aggravating the knee because when it flares I literally can’t walk. Is frustrating because I can dead lift and squat lift with no trouble, but running just sets it off.

4 Likes

That does sound frustrating. I think you’re smart to walk/run it until it gets better.

Have you seen, like, maybe, an orthopod over it?? :wink:

3 Likes

I’ve considered it. :rofl:

1 Like

I mean, they aren’t always convenient to get to. I get it.
But occasionally they know some things.

1 Like