Premier Access and Standby Return come to DLP

I am assuming this to be the case, the question is “how long does the line have to be to trigger this”. So in MK I can see doing your rope drop scenario and knocking some things out, then getting a stand by pass and hitting some beloved, low line attractions. At HS, I assume everything would trigger a stand by virtual queue very quickly, which is why I also see myself spending the most money on one of those days to just skip the lines.

4 Likes

I read it as a 2 part system - one “skip to the front of the line” that is the spendy version and one “virtual return time” where part of your wait is done virtually, part in person, but it is free. Lot’s of downside with the free one including possible long physical waits after the virtual wait and the inability to just jump in a long line and decide to just wait.

1 Like

@melcort10, I meant to say some of the rides at DLP are very different to WDW. I mean, not totally different but that’s probably why some have a higher height requirement. That plus maybe French H&S laws.

I remember I couldn’t ride Pirates when I was pregnant and couldn’t understand why. Years later I saw a ride through and realised why. I think there is a lot of bumps and maybe a bigger drop.
Hyperspace mountain was “insane” according to DH. He’d been OK on Space Mountain at WDW.
Indy has full inversion, not sure if DLR does or not. But I remember watching DH on it. :fearful:
Big Thunder though is just brilliant. I did ride that, maybe shouldn’t have but never mind.

2 Likes

The Indiana Jones ride at Disneyland CA is completely different from the one at DLP. DLP’s is an off-the-shelf roller coaster. Disneyland CA is the same ride system as DINOSAUR at AK, so no inversions.

2 Likes

You can do this. You just wait virtually for part of the time.

1 Like

Only if there’s a slot available to book. No hopping in line at 1 minute to closing because there won’t be slots available then.

3 Likes

Correct. The second part seems similar to the process at Universal’s Volcano Bay. It’s the first part that as got people riled up.

1 Like

Oh. That’s true. Never thought of that. Interesting.

^^^ This, right here!!! I was so surprised no one had mentioned that sooner! My first reaction was anger and extreme annoyance!! This is going to add a ton of money to an already expensive trip, if you choose to go this route (I am aware it’s optional and I’m not being subjected to this unless I choose to, but still) C’mon Disney! Way to keep nickel and diving us. The downside is, is plenty of people will gladly fork over the extra cash, suppose hats the obvious upside for Di$ney. That said, it’ll be interesting to see what happens next. How it’ll negatively or (dare I over optimistically hope) positively effects things, only time will tell. Thank goodness for TouringPlans and and Lines and knowing all the tips and tricks to skip the lines. It’s been rumored the FP system was going to be one paid for ages, guess the freebies have finally come up an end at long last. I already miss the FP+ system. With that plus a touring plan, we got done over 20 attractions each of the 5 days we were in the parks.

3 Likes

I mentioned it on the other thread when I said at least $50 per ride for my family of 5 on top of paying to get into the park. There is no way that’s happening. It blows my mind.

3 Likes

The high price is a feature, not a bug. It makes it accessible to everyone in a pinch if they really want / need it (unlike plaid which is completely out of reach) so it won’t affect standby lines too much. And Standby Passes are really just what Fastpass used to be, but more honest about how long your wait is going to be. (We’ll see whether they offer advance passes for resort hotel guests.)

5 Likes

I had definitely assumed that it was higher health and safety rules in the EU but I didn’t think of the rides being different! I think it’s just the few that are 48" (1.22m) that are a bummer. DS5 was really into Space last year and is only about 46". I think the DLP audience seems to skew a lot older than WDW. Like there are no “lighter” coasters like Barnstormer or Slinky or even 7DMT for my younger son.

I have been watching Pirates on YouTube with the kids because DS5 wouldn’t ride it at WDW in the fall because he thought it was scary. I’m hopeful to get him on both Pirates and Phantom Manor because he doesn’t really know what Phantom is!

The other thing I’m looking forward to at DLP is all the walk-through stuff. So if we do have to wait in a Standby virtual queue or something, we can spend that in the labyrinth or Agrabah. I think the dragon is closed :frowning:

Yes, the absolute worst option would be if they priced it where most people bought it. Then the fast pass line would be basically a overpriced standby line.

3 Likes

I’m curious to see if it would be cheaper to pay as you need vs a set price for all and any rides. It all depends on how many you would actually need to purchase.

Though if I had to pay $40 to ensure that my husband and I get on ROTR instead of missing out on our HS day, I’d pay it.

It seems unlikely that any ride that doesn’t have an existing standby line would qualify for any FP access in whatever form. Meaning, I think ROTR is the one ride, for now, that seems unlikely anyone will be able to buy their way onto. They don’t have enough capacity on that ride as it is.

1 Like

Am I the only person who’s in a bit of a daze about all this? I mean, so far as WDW is concerned?

I feel like we’re all casually discussing the fact that it’s likely that WDW is about to whip away a massive feature of the very expensive park tickets they sell you and then partially give the feature back to you for an enormous cost.

I expected more outrage.

11 Likes

True. And there has been a fair amount of condescension towards anyone daring to show a bit of outrage instead of accepting that it is Disney’s right to treat their loyal paying customers like crap. Not just about this but also the evening hours for deluxes.

8 Likes

Another difference is that if you go to Disneyland you don’t purchase the maxpass, you still get to use fast pass if you’re willing to walk to the kiosk. The maxpass just gives you mobile acquisition and photo pass.

3 Likes

Maybe that will be the same at WDW? I really hope so.

3 Likes

I would certainly hope so, but I don’t expect anything good anymore. I’m somewhat confident I will not be taking any more family vacations to Walt Disney World. I suspect it will be more like a special graduation treat for mom and a kid. It doesn’t sound like it’s going to be at all in my budget any longer.

4 Likes