Premier Access and Standby Return come to DLP

I don’t care enough about Disney anymore to be outraged. If I had already purchased tickets I’d be royally PO’d.

I can’t help but reconcile some of the ambivalence with the fact that lots of posters own DVC and have to make lemonade out of the lemons because they are (1) already committed to some level of visiting in order to maximize their investment and (2) clearly love WDW enough to even make that kind of commitment, whereas my interest is lesser.

6 Likes

It seems obvious at this point that WDW is in a no win situation.

Bring in Premier Access at a cost and people gripe about having to pay to skip lines.

Give away Premier Access for free and FP lines become useless.

Copy Universal’s Express Pass and people will gripe about the cost.

Bring back FPP in its usual form and people who don’t like planning 30 days out will be upset and the standby will go back to moving at a turtle’s pace.

1 Like

I think maybe one of the reason there isn’t more outrage (here? Because I see it plenty on other forums) is some people at least are taking a wait and see approach. WDW is very different from DLP so the question is what are they doing at WDW and so far all we’ve got is :woman_shrugging:.

My understanding is that at WDW the plan is a hybrid system of some number of free FP for onsite/AP/DVC but the problem is they’re making everything so freaking complex they can’t get it through testing - what if you’re an AP holder who is staying onsite? A DVC AP holder? The system keeps failing testing because they’ve made it ridiculously complex. So I’m currently just like :popcorn:

Also WDW really needs to dial back what rides are FP. If you’re going to have a system where people may be willing to pay, make it worth their while. Everything else can be on the standby pass if needed.

5 Likes

I just thought of something. DW has had FP for character meets. If that ends up being a part of this service, would there be people willing to pay that kind of money for a M&G? Character meals are one thing, as that involves food. But just meeting a character though?

https://www.piratesandprincesses.net/expensive-walt-disney-world-standby-pass-system-in-the-works/

2 Likes

Yep! A lot of outrage before it happens. Let’s see what it is first. I’m more annoyed Disney hasn’t announced it yet, which is causing reactions. But I’m also not going until next year. If I was going this year maybe I would be more antsy about it all.

1 Like

I’m going in August and I’m just like :woman_shrugging: at this point. I’m going solo for 8 days and I’ll just ride whatever I feel like when I feel like and I’m pretty much done with planning and worrying at this point. If there are long lines for stuff I’ll go do other things. This vacation is for me to relax and have fun so that’s what I plan on doing! What I won’t be doing is paying Disney a bunch of money to ride rides or other things like M&Gs. (Bring back tours and I’ll pay for that!)

6 Likes

Addiction in action :crazy_face:

I don’t remember which of these threads it was on, but someone asked about child swap and DAS info in light of this potential news. Here is child swap info:

1 Like

Interesting. I’m not really bothered by this, because I was always surprised that Disney ever allowed the other rider to bring 2 extra guests to begin with. I know there are circumstances where this will bother some…but in the end, I think the Rider Switch system when it allowed two extra guests, did negatively impact overall ridership moreso than it needed to in certain cases.

Of course, the negative is that Disney is removing a “perk”, in a sense. It previously allowed a two people to get an extra ride out of it. Now it only allows one person to do so.

Of all the changes being made or anticipated, this one seems the least innocuous.

4 Likes

I’m not bothered by it either. Just putting the info out there.

Honestly I thought this was going to be a lot worse news.

1 Like

And that it allowed the people using rider swap to get basically twice the FPP. That seemed like a cheat to me. People would only get a FPP for one parent, because apparently they didn’t check if the second adult had a FPP on child swap when the first adult had used one.

4 Likes

There were people reporting that CMs were telling guests yesterday that change was already in place “but they were allowing three just this once”.

1 Like

This is sad for us families, but it makes sense from the perspective of general guest satisfaction. I was perturbed by the fact that on certain rides, the CM would not let us take a 4th person, even though they weren’t taking single riders and so the third RS return rider was sitting by themselves. This effectively resolves that mismatch issue. (On some rides they would let us bring a 4th, but not the headliners.) As far as what is “needed,” a RS return rider only needs one partner to go back with. The 3rd rider was a bonus.

I can see genie wishes crowding out the free version on the popular rides. A ride only has so much capacity. Is Disney going to turn down someone that says, “Here’s my wallet” in favor of someone that wants to get in a free standby virtual queue? Nooooooo. Even pre-Cheapnek Disney wouldn’t have done that. So, the Standby Return capacity will be whatever is left after the Premier Access guests.

1 Like

Agreed.

And to the point KtP makes regarding not having to pick which kid gets a second ride in a 5 person family now having to pick between one of the two older children to get a second ride we were already having to do this with our 6 person family so I’m kind of whatever to the change.

2 Likes

I am totally here with you, both with the :popcorn: and the wait and see approach.

Maybe part of my attitude comes from all of my trips being somewhat non-traditional. My 1st trip was with a 5 yo who decided she was afraid of the dark, (only at Disney apparently), others have been tied to work trips where I get to the parks when I can, but something else controls my schedule. This December will be the first trip I will go to all 4 parks in the same trip.

In all cases I used tips, tricks and touring plans to make it work. So I am hoping there will be a pathway to reasonable days without extra money under the new system, whatever it is.

I also have always been suspect of what FPP does to stand by lines. As someone who sometimes stays offsite, I have skipped headliners or relied on refresh X 1000 or FP4me. It would be nice to just wait in a reasonable line.

Now that I am DVC, I am not fooling myself to just accept whatevwr Disney does because I am committed to it. I think it let’s me take more of an attitude that if I miss it this time, I will have something new to do next time.

And if the new system is super terrible, which it might be, I can always sell. I do understand the unease and anger, just keeping fingers crossed there will be an upside.

3 Likes

:rofl::joy::rofl:

1 Like

Even with my rose colored glasses there is a lot of truth here…:joy: :sob:

2 Likes