Poll Time - Have you had COVID? December Edition

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Yep. I have a friend who wasn’t doing them herself, but had her DD8 doing them for like 6 months. I always felt bad for her, and to be honest I don’t know if they even worked. I don’t have an answer, but just wanted to share concern.

I tried 3 times when I was younger and reacted badly, they told me not to come back. But my son had 3 units in November and like you, I’m so grateful that people had donated that I’m giving it another try. I’m booked in for Feb, and I really hope I am ok afterwards because the closest I could book is 45 mins away!

1 Like

I was always queasy, but I found looking away helps…a lot! The celling usually as opposite walls usually had other donors or posters for donations and the floors are gross.

1 Like

I used to give blood regularly. Then one time they told me I was dehydrated after doing the hematocrit so I had to drink a bunch of water before they would let me.

So the next time I gave blood, I remembered to drink plenty of water. But I forgot to eat anything at all that morning (I usually have little or no breakfast, so that isn’t unusual). I passed out after giving blood. Thankfully I was already seated.

I tried to give blood one more time after that and felt woozy. I think the one bad experience messed up my psyche so now I don’t think I’ll be able to give again. It’s really a mind game, but so much of reality depends on perceptions.

1 Like

I wonder if it’s the diabetes that makes it so rough for you? I know that’s normally not a problem, but one thing I’ve learned with many type 1 and 2 diabetics in my family is that everyone reacts to things differently.

I used to donate often. I’m not blood phobic or needle adverse. I grew up watching surgery on tv at the dinner table. My mom wanted to be a surgical nurse but never got to be, so she watched stuff like that all the time. My daughter is following in her footsteps sort of.

In my 30’s, I developed an autoimmune disease called Hashimotos. As a fun complication, I also have pernicious anemia. I get B12 shots regularly. I’m not expressly prohibited from donating by red cross guidelines, but I’ve been advised not to do anything that could mess with my levels by my doctors.

2 Likes

Let me be clear. I only started donating in March when the pandemic started. I’m not in the multi-gallon club. As a young person I went twice. The first time I barely passed the hemoglobin check and then I got faint during the collection. The second time I tried I didn’t pass the HGB and that was it for me. But - I’d gone with soon-to-be DH and he became a lifelong donor.

I love doing it now.

(It’s the mini chocolate chip cookies.)

10 Likes

I bring my phone, but I fill the thing so quickly I barely have time to look at anything.

I also was a vegetarian in college, so that was probably part of my problems.

@Jeff_AZ when I donated in July and it was like 92°F the next day I was extremely sluggish. I did learn from that - I don’t workout the next day.
I also make sure I do it late in the day. I hydrate on the way home. With a giant Dunkin’. ;). (they do say no caffeine…)

2 Likes

Just giving you a heart because I have Hashimotos also. I haven’t donated blood since my diagnosis but I used to be a regular donor.

3 Likes

I used to give blood quite a bit. They love my blood-type (AB-). However, they won’t take it now because of various issues. Makes me sad.

4 Likes

I second this! I really should give more than the few times I have. 10 days postpartum and I ended up in the ICU getting 11 units of PRBC, FFP, platelets, and cryo. I’m very thankful for those that donate.

7 Likes

It’s funny - as a nurse I dread when they order a transfusion. They’ve overly complicated them documenting over the last decade. But I’ve seen first hand the benefits. It really is miraculous.

2 Likes

For those interested -
My donation on Tuesday was exactly 12 weeks from onset of Covid symptoms.
Still demonstrating antibodies. :heart_eyes:

The next donation will be the cool one. :crossed_fingers:t4:

6 Likes

For anyone interested.
Five months later.
(20 weeks)

11 Likes

So we moved to SC. While the Amercian Red Cross stopped testing for antibodies late summer, The Blood Connection here in SC continues to seek out convalescent plasma and therefore tests donations.

At the 9+ month mark now.

10 Likes

That’s awesome!

3 Likes

@Jeff_AZ, it would be interesting to see where things stand now, if you’re up for it.

2 Likes

Great to know, thanks! So it’s just negative or positive, no range like moderate I guess?

1 Like

Wish granted! Here is the updated poll:

4 Likes

Neither ARC, nor TBC offer a range. But as they use it for convalescent plasma, I’m guessing they think it’s adequate? While I have no idea if I’ve been exposed or not, I am very happy to see they are still present.

3 Likes