Poll Time .. Coronavirus Edition

At the onset - we had a giant question mark over our heads. I am essentially a SAHM - but I usually work one 8 hour shift a week as an RN. DH works for a company that makes medical equipment - but they specialize in four specific products. While the surgeries they are used for are life saving, they often aren’t done at a moment’s notice; folks usually get diagnosed an on a schedule, but it remained to be seen what hospitals would do. Furthermore, they sell these products worldwide. Will Turkey and Romania still be doing these surgeries, etc?

At first the owner gave them all one day’s pay, cancelling out Columbus Day in October. Ok. Then they needed to use PTO the next few days, but before the week was over, they eliminated 4 other holidays from later in the year, and pulled them forward. But then they canceled that and just gave each person 4 days of PTO… we think? It’s clear as mud.
As they continued to make their primary products line workers were begging to be included in getting shifts. DH couldn’t work at home, but also wasn’t as needed as line workers. We figured we’d suck it up and burn his vacation if we had to. What options did we have? I picked up a shift and we held on.

Well, by the end of the second week the owner indicated he would cover everyone’s pay for April, whether they work 1 hour a week or 40. He didn’t want anyone filing for unemployment because they were working out details to make a new PPE product and it was going to take time to get off the ground (a few days). Can you believe people complained? Then some grumbled because they had to work 18 hours that week and someone else was only working 10. Meanwhile the week before they’d been begging to work???

DH goes in everyday now. Most people have full hours now because they are churning out PPE. We are grateful.

I am so grateful DH can work. My hospital does NOT need me. We have so much staff right now.

4 Likes

With 131 participants, so far only 5% of the responses fall into one of the “negative” categories, with the remaining 95% being at least neutral or positive. We are probably not a representative sample of the U.S. or the world, but those numbers are encouraging in my mind.

I’m sorry for those who are struggling though! Every lost job or loss of income has a story, and we’re all experiencing some degree of emotional trauma right now. Here’s hoping for better times ahead.

4 Likes

This does seem to be the case. It would make sense for there to be some correlation between the jobs that afford one to take Disney vacations and the jobs that are able to continue on in one way or another during this situation, although there are going to be some significant industry-specific exceptions on both ends of the spectrum too. I oversee QA for a medical device and pharma testing lab, and feel very blessed to be mostly unaffected by this, as far as going to work goes. Of course I’m salty our spring break trip was cancelled and have no idea of when it would make sense for us to try and reschedule, but how fortunate that the biggest issue my family has faced thus far is the lack of our Disney trip. My heart goes out to those who are struggling with the virus or really hurting financially due to the shutdowns, or have close family and friends in those struggles. We will get through this all together! I’m thankful for all the positivity and kindness in this forum.

4 Likes

No option for “job secure but taking pay cut.” I’m salaried and Director level. All employees above a certain salary are taking pay cuts of varying percentages. We’ve also had layoffs but I suspect most of those were planned pre-COVID due to other financial issues.

1 Like

I’m bracing for this to happen. I think it will affect almost all of us here, unless we are in an essential industry where there is a shortage.

I’m in the same boat as you, @combatjulie. Until elective treatments can be performed again, we’re running on an emergency-appt-only basis. Has your organization applied for the payroll protection program (through the CARES Act)? We’ve applied and have our fingers crossed that the funding will come through to pay all our staff full wages for the next 8 weeks. Fortunately my DW works in public health for the federal gov’t so her position is pretty secure!

1 Like

I am in charge of processing payroll and was tasked with delivering pay cut news to our employees. It was a tough week…

1 Like

Sorry to hear you are in the same situation. We were paid for 2 weeks before the furlough that we didn’t work (or didn’t work much, a few urgent cases were scheduled) My center has applied for the payroll protection program but hasn’t received the funding yet and felt they needed to do the furlough until the funding was secured. Have been told I will be recalled once the funding comes through. They are still paying medical benefits for those they have them.

2 Likes

have my own business that operates in many segments and only some are feeling the turbulence, other operations are running fine. We are not at rish financially, so am very thankful for being in a position where I can worry about things other than me or my employees making it out of this.

However, I work with a lot of small businesses and its horrible to see their struggle. Not to mention anyone working with covid patients whether its icu or something else, I can’t even begin to imagine the burden this is creating for many people. The cost will inevitably be a huge rise in mental health problems, suicide and other horrible things.

The warnings about being prepared for a global pandemic have been in the air for years (there is seriously an astounishing amount of warnings from the past 2-3 years, but sadly many governments (notably the US) haven’t taken it seriously and we are seeing the consequences.

Sorry straying a bit off topic here…

I am a stay-at-home parent right now, so not much has changed for me so far. I was planning on going back to work as a teacher beginning in August, though, so we’ll see if hiring takes place over the summer or not. I’m really hoping I will be able to find a job.

My husband is essential so his job seems safe.

We are paid in full local APs, so we will definitely be going to the parks once they re-open. Aside from the money we already invested, trips to Disney are relatively low cost for us. I do think we will try and spend a bit more money in the parks when we return, though. More Minnie ears = doing my part!

2 Likes

Healthcare IT…so, ya I’m not going anywhere. My mom works at Walmart; used to work in healthcare (Admin). She had no idea she was going from one essential service to another :joy:

I do have family impacted; but not in immediate household. Still waiting anxiously for when trip to WDW will be rebooked. Will be depressing next week as I was supposed to go next Friday :sob:

1 Like

Agree that you needed a “job secure but taking pay cut” option. I am a primary care physician and, while we are still seeing patients - including COVID patients - it is not enough volume to sustain our private practice. Will be taking at least a 50% pay cut for at least the next few months just to keep paying our employees and keeping the lights on.

2 Likes

I can relate. Our volume is down 80% in our clinic and we have had to make some tough decisions.

1 Like

I could have written this post. Our pay cut hasn’t gotten to 50% yet, but it could soon.

1 Like

Lots of medical people here… anyone heard if higher heart rates are a symptom? Like 96 when you’ve been resting?

1 Like

Disney tributes to health care workers and first responders if anyone hasn’t seen them…

1 Like

Both DH and I are essential workers. I am a mental health clinician (LMFT) and DH is a first responder (firefighter). I thought I was going to go on reduced hours since I am a school based therapist, but we have been busier than ever! We have been given permission to see our patients via telehealth and provide teletherapy. We are also looking into expanding our services since not many are offering teletherapy in our area. I was kind of hoping for a bit of a break though.

2 Likes

I can relate. My husband and I are both essential. Add in the homeschooling of our kids and we are busier than before! Don’t get me wrong, we are very fortunate that we still have jobs (and income), but it would be nice to get a break. This weekend will be a nice break since my office is normally closed Good Friday and Easter Monday so they aren’t expecting us to work, even remotely.

4 Likes

Me too but to Disneyland. I am getting quite grumpy as our trip date approaches.

1 Like

I’m one of the few librarians that are still working in place… no telework options and since I work for a state Hospital in PA, i’m considered essential. I’ve been here MANY years, so have time saved up. I’ve been taking off every Wednesday for the month of April to help alleviate my anxiety and despair for my fellow Americans and Disney Fan buddies. Booked for my first solo trip in November, hoping for the best!

4 Likes