Poll Time .. Coronavirus Edition

Oh, which robotics program?

Last year my daughter was captain of FRC 5414 Pearadox. This year she mentored 2158 ausTIN CANs and my husband mentored 3103 Iron Plaid (our twin goddaughters are on that team and one was just elected captain for next year).

To have their season cut so short was heartbreaking.

1 Like

I am in HR for a mid-sized city in Washington. For now my job seems super safe, but the big recession taught me no one is ever 100% safe. At this time we are not laying off or furloughing any benefited employees which is great news. I hope it doesn’t come to that. Many are working from home. Our mayor has been very against work from home, and now probably 75% of departments other than Police are teleworking! It will be interesting to see if he can put that genie back in the bottle!

2 Likes

Absolutely heartbreaking. Many of the seniors cried.

She is part of Army Ants 3792 Columbia MO.
We were at a wk 3 regional in St Louis, readying for inspections when the announcement came to pack up. All week 3 events canceled.

Still trying to be ok. Were stopped for lunch when the announcement came that the whole season had been canceled. No joy after that.

Team had felt confident they’d be in Houston again this year.

She’s first year so mostly learning. Mentors have noted that she’s lead sub groups and can work without supervision.

One of her senior friends will stay local - we keep saying you’ll be a great mentor next year!

Amazingly, at St Louis there was a Brazil team there. And Citrus Circuits all the way from Davis, Ca.

Adult mentors are heroes!

2 Likes

Ugh, perfect attendance awards are the worst. Rewarding kids for things they have little to no control over, like their good health, and their parents’ car continuing to function every morning of the school year, and their parents’ decision to prioritize classroom time over everything else in life.

I was briefly a school secretary, handling attendance among other things. We definitely had a few kids who weren’t trying very hard to be there, but most absences were just plain bad luck.

7 Likes

Or trips to Disney? :):rofl:

Speaking for myself of course.

2 Likes

What is more at risk for me is my earned time/paid time off which I am being forced to use 8hrs of every week. Not complaining about being paid but dang if THAT is why I can’t do WDW I will be

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/disney/images/e/ef/Profile_-_Grumpy.png/revision/latest?cb=20190312121938

6 Likes

Right?! That’s a big concern. I hate wasting PTO on stuff that’s not fun! Fingers crossed for all of us that our Disney dreams can come true!

1 Like

I completely agree. When DH had three days off that first week as his company was figuring things out they just felt like minutes and money flying out the window. Now - if we could actually see some progress on something at home that felt meaningful, I could justify it. But at that point we were just wandering around in shock.

1 Like

I’m a mid-level executive at a consulting firm. Have been with the company 15 years and am well respected by the “c-suite.” I currently work in strategy and operations - mainly in spreadsheets obviously (and I do manage our commercial budget - so I dabble I’m finance/accounting) - but did spend 10 years managing sales staff directly. I’d like to think even if the firm falls on hard times, they wouldn’t eliminate my role or would offer me an alternate option, but I can’t say for certain. I did weather the ‘09 recession with this same firm and saw a lot of folks laid off then. Husband is a tenured professor so his job should be secure, too, but I do make more money than he does so things like Disney trips would definitely have to be reconsidered if we post my income.

1 Like

Totally agree. My mom used to let me take days off when I wasn’t sick at all. She looked at it like a job. We deserved some time off to recharge, but we couldn’t miss tests or important assignments.

2 Likes

Need an option for those that are being forced into reduced work.

• Next 3 Holidays will not be paid for.
  • Forced to take 50% of your yearly vacation before the end of June
  • Being asked to volunteer for 20% - 40% work reduction until the end of the summer
  • Option to take temporary leave for the summer available
  • If not enough people take the above, mandatory work reduction will happen in the next 15 days.

As you can see…company is on the path to layoffs if things do not get better soon.

3 Likes

We’re both engineers - me with a big IT company, he with a big healtcare company. He’ll be secure forever. Me… well, we do layoffs, but haven’t for a quite a while. They’re performance based, which is good for me. Plus… and I hate this… I’ll be safe because I’m a “minority”. That’s in quotes because it’s just because I’m a woman.

1 Like

I need the option for furloughed. I have been furloughed but feel very confident that my job will return once the crisis is over.

The irony is that I am a Nurse. This is why I am confident my job will return. I am currently working at an outpatient surgery center that is NOT owned by a hospital but by the physicians who use it. Since elective/non urgent surgeries have been suspended in our area we have no work currently so we shut down 2 1/2 weeks ago. This week we were furloughed so we could draw unemployment.

My DH works IT for a university and is the primary breadwinner. I feel pretty confident his job is stable. He is currently working from home.

3 Likes

My wife is an elementary school teacher and is doing the work from home thing for the remainder of the school year. I’m a truck driver and considered essential yet the items I haul are from from essential. I have the constant conflict in my mind if I should keep rolling or kind of self-furlough for some amount of time. I fortunately dont come into contact with very many people each day and keep to myself yet I feel like I shouldn’t be out here. But I also need money! Ugh the internal conflict rages!

2 Likes

If you can work safely, then keep working. Remember, the “essential” rules were put in place not as a means to limit who works, but as a means to ensure NECESSARY work is still being done. But if you can work without it being essential, and yet remain safe, then there is no point in NOT working.

No one would say that my work of fixing bugs in vehicle head units is “essential” right now, but I’m still working safely from home.

DOn’t feel guilty at all.

5 Likes

My husband and I both work in the transportation industry. Our employer would not continue without government support, it hasn’t since it began back in the 70s. We were on track this fiscal year to make a profit, first time ever but that was quickly derailed (pun intended). They have talked furloughs, but with our seniority, DH 30 yrs, me 25, we would be ok. Our specific jobs/craft cannot be abolished, trains just could not run without us but it is very scary being in this position. Even after the stay-at-home orders are lifted, it could be a very long time for things to be back to normal transportation-wise

1 Like

My two jobs are safe: IT manager at a big pharma and also a Target team member. One is more risky than the other!

Also I am desperately hanging onto a June 28 reservation at OKW. Fingers crossed and prayers up for all affected.

That’s so lousy.

Like you I am at reduced hours and forced use of earned time.

I am happy, though, that companies like yours and mine are doing what they can to put layoffs/furloughs off for as long as financially possible. I feel well taken care of by my hospital organization right now and feel very fortunate to be relatively secure in these strange times.

2 Likes

I am Direct Service Personnel and working more hours than before.

My PCP was actually concerned I’m being overworked. And I kind of am but I’m also thankful.

1 Like

For anyone that doesn’t think the options match them well, that is why I included the “Retired / other” options. But feel free to specify in the comments as well.