Poll Time .. Coronavirus Edition

Ok so this post is a little bit of a downer … but I’m genuinely curious in the responses to this poll.

If any of us are going to return to WDW any time soon, we need the disposable income to do it. That depends on the condition of our employment.

To avoid privacy issues, I am making the results anonymous, but feel free to share what you are comfortable sharing in comments below.

And now the poll …

Which of these options best describes your work situation?

(Answer on behalf of the primary income earner in your household.)

• I lost my job in March and am currently unemployed
  • I lost my job in April (or beyond) and am currently unemployed
  • I have reason to believe I will lose my job in the next month or two
  • My job is currently secure but could plausibly be at risk if the crisis worsens
  • My job is essential and / or low risk of being lost except in the most extreme scenario
  • I am self-employed / gig worker / partner / owner and I am struggling
  • I am self-employed / gig worker / partner / owner and I am getting by
  • I am self-employed / gig worker / partner / owner and it is doing well
  • Retired / other - prognosis is unfavorable
  • Retired / other - prognosis is neutral
  • Retired / other - prognosis is favorable

0 voters

Note: If you want to change your vote, click “Hide Results” (lower left hand corner of the poll) and then select your new response.

I am not essential but I’m very low risk of losing my job. I work in corporate tax accounting - still needs to get done in bad economic times!

3 Likes

I work in corporate G/L accounting / financial reporting, so I feel reasonably secure as well. Hopefully the entire economy doesn’t collapse!

3 Likes

I work in health insurance administration…pretty low risk at this time. DH is at-risk, but ironically because of the low oil/gas prices, not because of the pandemic.

3 Likes

Health insurance here as well - don’t see us going anywhere soon. DH is furloughed with a TBD return to work date.

2 Likes

Another accounting / finance employee here. Yes, corporations need to account for losses as much as for gains :slightly_smiling_face:. That is, if they do not close permanently.

3 Likes

I think the telework landscape is going to change dramatically, as companies are learning what their employees can really do from home. I’m hopeful this realization will lead to more worker-friendly policies. Please, work from home when your kid is sick. And for a few days afterwards, because we don’t want your germs in the office.

8 Likes

I work in property insurance… We were already allowed to work 2 days at home each week. So fortunately it was a pretty smooth transition.

2 Likes

Similarly, I hope schools drop perfect attendance awards. Too many sick kids go to school that should stay home.

13 Likes

Since we are about 50/50 in my house in terms of wage earning, answering the poll question wasn’t simple. I answered for myself. I’m a teacher and feel fairly confident that I will retain my job, though the parameters of instruction and learning have changed drastically. My husband, on the other hand, is in television sports broadcast (he’s a camera operator), and with no sports happening, nothing to broadcast. We feel fortunate that one of us continues to work, and my husband will be able to collect unemployment, but we’re feeling a bit stressed about family finances. I’ll also add that we live in CA, so while the additional unemployment money from the Feds is needed and appreciated, it won’t go as far here as it will in other states. No Disney trips for us for a while.

1 Like

Why am I not surprised there are a disproportionate number of us finance/accounting types here? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(But I’m doing the full time mom thing at the moment.)

3 Likes

I hate perfect attendance awards.

5 Likes

I’m in finance (personal wealth management) and have always worked from home. I don’t see my firm disappearing, so I feel confident my job will remain a is. My husband is a contractor for a DoD contractor, so he is considered essential. That being said, he is still hourly, and last week had very few hours because all of the inspectors in the city had been exposed to COVID, so all inspections were postponed, and therefore all work halted. Fortunately he has a residential remodeling company on the side and that work continues.

2 Likes

My kids ALWAYS have perfect attendance. Much to the chagrin of our kids. Because. Well. We homeschool.

My DS10 was frustrated that we were making him still do school when the other neighbor kids were forced to stay home from school due to the virus. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I do software engineering for an automotive supplier. As such, I can work from home just fine at the moment. And, while the automotive industry is suffering in general, our projects currently have long lead times so that it won’t have a huge impact in the short term. But if the shutdowns persist, it could play a role in requiring levels of either layoffs or, perhaps which is more likely, operating at reduced pay schedules (80% income, etc).

2 Likes

I feel very confident that my husband’s job will continue. He is currently employed and we expect that to continue. Although we never can really know because it’s contract by contract always.

2 Likes

Where is I currently lost my mind? Lol

4 Likes

I work in the automotive industry as well (for a manufacturer). No one is buying or making cars currently - I’m sure there are budget cuts/layoffs coming for a lot of companies!

1 Like

Yup, DH is in automotive as well - he is in the service department at a GM dealership. Although they are technically considered ‘essential’ and could stay open, they made the decision to close and furlough. They tried to stay open for a couple of weeks and they had the service writers switching off days but they didn’t have enough work to make it worth their while.

1 Like

Our homeschool is pretty much ALWAYS in session. Especially trips. Weekends. All the homeschool kids she knows say the same.

Altho this year summer vacation came in January and February during robotics build session. Her first year. Seemed like a good idea to keep things simpler.

She has two senior friends - no graduation for them either.

1 Like