Coronavirus Outbreak: Is it safe to travel?

I agree completely! :crazy_face:

Speaking of levity (sort of)…

In all of this, the fact is, our family has, thus far, come away fairly unscathed. I don’t mean unscathed from illness (which we have), but unscathed by a significant change in normalcy.

Yes, things are different now. But all in all, other than the fact that my commute to work involves walking down the stairs to the basement rather than driving 30+ minutes, we’re living a somewhat normal life. Consolidating our shopping a bit. But we’re still watching the same TV, still planning and cooking meals, still working (at least for now). I still go out running a few times a week. (Actually, I’m running MORE now than before.) Saving money on gas. Getting projects done around the house. “Going” to church on-line. The biggest loss we’re experiencing really is Disney. But in the grand scheme of things, that’s nothing.

I know this isn’t the case for a lot of people. But I can’t help but recognize that I’m feeling quite blessed at the moment.

4 Likes

This strictly because they are looking to avoid the battle with these churches screaming about freedom of religion. Even though I firmly believe jusdicial review would go against churches, particularly under these pandemic circumstances.

And even if you are the type that believes the constitution allows you to do whatever you want, no matter what, these people are on a base level the opposite of what they claim. IMO, I don’t know how you call yourself a Christian when you clearly care nothing about your fellow man and only about the outward trappings of your religion. NYC is still having issues with groups of Hasidic Jews publicly flouting as well.

4 Likes

Where we are schools are out for the rest of this school year. That may help re: surging cases. All those kids returning to their petri dishes and then bringing it home to potentially vulnerable populations is bad. So maybe not having schools in will go some way towards allowing more cases, but now too many more cases?

It’s impossible. But people will have to go back to work.

Every morning, I literally stop and think about how blessed I feel. Our family is healthy. My husband and I are both still working. The kids are able to remote learn with little problem. We go out for daily walks to get fresh air, but stay away from other people. Without going out to eat and the kids’ various activities, we’re actually saving some money. We had already decided at the end of last year that we weren’t taking any kind of major vacation this year, so we’re not missing out on that. We are truly blessed. :heart:

6 Likes

The past few posts got me thinking about people’s employment situation, so I created this poll. Results are anonymous if you care to vote.

1 Like

I was not particularly on board with the masks for everyone, and very annoyed when Polis “recommended” everyone wear them while out. I’ve read a bunch of different articles on the potential efficacy in general, but also of differing fabrics. Most, if not all are regarding SARS or influenza. But long story short, numbers are all over the place.

I also think that this may make people think they are now protected and they will go out more. In relation to this, I’ve seen several posts online completely attributing Asian countries low numbers to the fact that many wear masks all the time. No, and potentially dangerous thinking.

Having to wear a mask makes me feel claustrophobic. In addition, it will not only not make me touch my face more, but also more than I do. 100% chance I’m going to adjust it every 2 minutes. Bad. I’m better off with my plastic gloves. Gloves make me hyper aware of where my hands go and to not touch my face.

2 Likes

This is the group NYC has also gone rounds with over the amount of unvaccinated students and staff in the schools which are Orthodox but are supported by public funds. Several were closed when there was a large measles outbreak in the communities, especially in the Williamsburg area of Brooklyn last year, and the amount to which they had been providing false records if any records at all became painfully apparent.

Again, the point of the masks recommendations is NOT to protect you from others, but to protect others from you.

If you are shedding the virus (which has now been shown to be happen MOST early on, when you may not even realize you are sick) then your gloves are doing no one any good at all. You will breathe, talk, potentially cough or sneeze the virus out, which lands on the surfaces that others touch.

If EVERYONE is wearing masks, then it makes it VERY difficult for ANYONE to shed the virus without knowing it.

6 Likes

I made one of the surgeon general DIY bandana-and-rubber-band masks to wear to the grocery store yesterday. It really wasn’t too bad. Maybe 20% of people had some kind of mask on.

1 Like

I know this. The lecture is unnecessary.

Doesn’t change the wildly varying stats of efficacy. It doesn’t change the claustrophobic feeling. It doesn’t change the fact that wearing the mask will likely put me much more at risk of contracting.

It doesn’t change anything in my comment. Especially concerning the gloves and their usefulness to me.

This is why the reasons outlined by WHO.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’ve been following those stories as well for quite awhile. I’m really bothered by the destruction of herd immunity. Regarding the yeshivas, this issue is probably compounded by the complete incompetence of the the DOE Chancellor.

Yes I also saw an article somewhere on a mainstream news site showing a graph of cell phone usage and how it shows who is social distancing more in what states (of the US).

Agreed 100%.

Looking at the themes he has for our “Easy Week” and the suggested activities, it is beyond clear he has no clue we have a district just for special education kids who cannot be mainstreamed. Not to mention the activities he is suggesting are very classist in that they assume families have a lot of random classroom-type stuff on hand. For themes we have: College and Career Readiness - enough said; Arts - with wire sculpting, creating a play from scratch, etc.; Science - filled with all kinds of experiments with things we are lucky to have in classrooms; Computer Science - actual coding which many of our kids (none in my school) have not been exposed to; Health & Wellness - this is the lease absurd if we think on our own, but the suggested activities are absurd; and the most absurd is World Languages - enough said for Special Ed where many are non-verbal.

He does not have a clue.

1 Like

Those activities are not reasonable! I am sorry…

2 Likes

EXACTLY!!! They are not even reasonable for most General Education students.

My principal is going rogue and we are having Spirit Week and doing easy things like virtual field trips to zoos and such since our kids have tech at home or were loaned tablets to be able to do their work.

3 Likes

Which is highly ironic, since he thinks the “gifted” or hard to get into middle and high schools (for which you have to take a test for entrance) are elitist and don’t take in enough minorities (other than Asian Americans).

Call the NYPost? They love calling him out for all his shenanigans. Seriously, that is the only thing I can think of that might get this attention. This is terrible for you, and probably a majority of other families.

1 Like

what was fast?

Data for our region:

Tuesday, April 7, Coronavirus Cases - Monroe County has 26 deaths and 574 positive coronavirus cases as of Tuesday morning. 736 people are in mandatory quarantine. 86 patients are hospitalized.

Of the 86 that are hospitalized, 40-45 are in my hospital. We are the second biggest in the area. i don’t know why we have 50% of the cases, unless it is because the other facility is the trauma and transplant hospital? That’s just a guess.

Meanwhile, my unit that holds 28 patients only has 14, and only one of them is Covid (+). I was told they are cohorting them on two of the medical units (sadly, they are the two units NOBODY wants to work on - almost all newer nurses) think olden style long corridors. But they are also getting a lot of additional staff from OR, PACU, DOSA, GI/endoscopy, and Cath Lab.

I’ll do my education conundrum in another post.

2 Likes

I’m sure the email has been leaked already. But yeah, he is ridiculous.

1 Like

NY is recognized as one of the four most contentious states for homeschooling.
From our POV we are doing every last iota that we are supposed to do. All the proper number of hours and credits and subjects, etc. I will submit my paperwork this week as I am supposed to (to an office that is highly unlikely to send ME confirmation of receipt).
And although NY has canceled all public school state assessments for the rest of the 2019-2020 academic year, and yesterday NYSED cancelled Regents exams, we have not be relieved of our annual assessments. This matters NOW because these need to be ordered and I am coordinating testing for almost 200 students. :frowning: I am fielding emails every day from confused parents and test administrators.

We have lawyers petitioning on our behalf.

WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
ETA:
I just shut down forums to find an email from Homeschool Legal Defense! We are off the hook in NY.

Thank God I won’t have to answer any more frantic emails! :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

10 Likes