Poll Time .. Coronavirus Edition

Fellow librarian here. I am in an academic (community college) library and am not terribly worried right now but I know administration is very concerned about finances. I’m a cataloger (among about 40 other regular duties) and working from home right now mostly on catalog cleanup projects, cataloging electronic resources, staffing virtual reference, doing some collection development, etc. We are unionized and I have a bit of seniority, so I’m not super super worried about getting laid off, but our staff is already so small that losing even one person would make it a miserable place to work and I’d hate life.
I have about 8.5 weeks of vacation and can only carry over 5 on July 1. But the idea of taking my “vacation” time to just sit around the house and be depressed about not being somewhere better is not appealing to me!

3 Likes

Would it be crazy to rent an Airbnb within driving distance to spend a week or two holed up someplace new, at least? If you took all your own food, seems like it wouldn’t be a significantly different risk level? Maybe a beach or lake house with a view or someplace with nice walking trails? (Just trying to think how you could at least have something vacation-like).

3 Likes

I’m a PT cataloger too… but that work is drying up. But I love it. ANYWAY, on my day off, i spend all day reading, so it’s a win win for myself :slight_smile:

1 Like

We were going to be at DLR April 8-10.

1 Like

We would have been flying home tonight after 36 hours in Anaheim. We had reservations for Blue Bayou last night and I was hoping to finally ride RotR today. Next time there’s a new ride, I’m going to fly out within a week! No more waiting for me. Life’s too short.

4 Likes

Truer words have never been spoken!

2 Likes

My husband works in food and beverage warehousing - he’s responsible for all your K cups, lol! They are an essential business, but husband is on a 30 day unpaid leave of absence. Our youngest has immune problems and his doctor ordered us to self quarantine. NJ is being VERY generous with unemployment, so we will be able to collect during his unpaid leave. Combined with the supplement from the feds, we’ll not see a difference income wise. We are very fortunate in that respect.

5 Likes

My husband, our sole income earner, works in corporate IT for a large and well known international hotel company. Two weeks ago that company furloughed 70% of its workforce. He was part of the 30% who kept their jobs, but he is now on half time half pay. We will be okay for several months due to having a good sized savings, but there is no way he will go back to full time full pay and all of those workers will actually get their jobs and income back in June as originally planned by the company. It is very possible my husband will also get furloughed at that time instead. Travel for pleasure and even most business travel is not going to come back until there is a widely available vaccine. Therefore, he is also starting a job search. Being in IT, his outlook is better than most, but even companies not directly affected are starting hiring freezes.

4 Likes

Teacher here, working more hours than ever (but still time to read boards before school starts). My job is secure, DH’s job is week to week, how many days they will work each week. Guaranteed 3, up to 5, and will get paid accordingly. But the important part is he will keep his benefits 100%. Since most of the hourly workers work because of the benefits, they prefer it to unemployment (and so do we).

6 Likes

DoD here, so by definition essential. Fortunately I have a primarily administrative position that allows me to full-time telework.

3 Likes

Can anyone help me answer this question?

We got our stimulus money yesterday. DH and I got money for ourselves and four of our six kids - the ones ages 7-15.

My 17 yo son got $1200 into his account.
My 19 yo son got nothing.

We all had already filed our tax returns for last year.

Any thoughts why the 19 year old didn’t but the 17 year old did?

1 Like

Were both the 17 year old and the 19 year old claimed on your taxes?

1 Like

yes

That’s weird. My niece in college is claimed on my sister’s and she got nothing and my sister didn’t get anything for her. She fell through the cracks.

I would wonder if it was a glitch.

College students aren’t eligible to receive stimulus money apparently.

Cut work and cut pay for now. Very excited that I’m still getting something, I thought I would be furloughed by now. Unsure of what my status will be in the future but hoping for the best.

There is definitely a mistake for your 17 year old. He shouldn’t have gotten anything.

So the government accidently gave him money.

I actually believe that… in 1988 I got $400 too much from the IRS. It was so hard to return it. (I was adamant about returning it).

This is preposterous. Though - he needs it more than I do. He hasn’t worked in a month. Neither has DS19 though.

1 Like

A glitch in favor of my 17 yo.?
This is CRAZY.

1 Like

The cheap photoshopping is intentional. :wink:

3 Likes