Poll Time! Best Pixar Film

I missed the first ten minutes or so of SW.

So, I didn’t see the whole crawl, star destroyer and everything else up to the droids are arguing on Tatooine for about seven years until we got a VCR.

4 Likes

I will concede my mileage varies.

2 Likes

I will preface this all with …I am old.

I don’t remember seeing EP#4 (ANH) or EP#5 (ESB) in the theaters, but I must have. My younger brother (by 6 years) seemed to have every Star Wars toy ever made by Mattel in the 70s/80s.

I distinctly remember seeing EP#6 (RotJ) in the theater. I was on my first date w/ a guy I ended up dated for a few months. I remember waiting in a very long line to get into the theater, and I also remember the young man being annoyed that I wanted to actually watch the movie! :rofl:

Out of all of the Star Wars movies (still can’t bring myself to watch EP#3), Return of the Jedi is hands down still my favorite (I know everyone prefers ESB, but meh). I completely fell in love w/ the Ewoks and have yet to forgive George Lucas for changing the ending of the movie and removing the Ewok celebration music at the end of the original movie! I still have a stuffed Ewok from back then.

My brother was obsessed w/ the original trilogy. Living on Long Island, we somehow were in a market that had cable television available far before many others. We got three additional channels (other than what we would get w/ an antenna), local news 24/7, local sports (dad only paid for it to watch the Islanders play), and HBO. Back then HBO used to send out a monthly program guide that listed out what was on when (like the one we all pull up on our televisions now) and when HBO got the rights to show Star Wars, my brother memorized every single time is was on for the month…and watched it EVERY SINGLE TIME. He was reciting the lines w/ the actors by the time we were halfway through the month. :rofl:

Remember, this was either just before VHS or if it was after it was well before Star Wars was available on VHS. It was sheer heaven for my brother to be able to watch it over and over again when previously he had only seen any of the movies once, maybe twice in the theaters.

When they remastered the original movies (and Lucas desecrated RotJ), and rereleased them in the theaters. My brother and I watched ANH in an old school movie theater (that is now a CVS) in Philly, on the giant screen. He was in his glory reliving his childhood. :grin:

I just may suck it up and get those Ewok ears next month anyway. Even if it may be too warm to wear them!

8 Likes

:flushed::disappointed_relieved::confounded:

1 Like

I think for me, the strength of ESB comes in the character development. In ANH, the characters are fairly stagnant. We are immersed to who they are and the world they live in, and things happen, but who they are at the end is pretty much who they were at the start.

In ESB, however, we see a progression in each character. Luke begins transforming from a whiny but adventurous kid to one who has to learn self control, etc., Eventually having to face the truth about his father and what that means for himself. Han and Leia begin to realize their love for one another, with softness coming out in Leia, and Han finding out he’s less scoundrel than he portends. Even Lando we see many sides to. The betrayer…but not really.

Of course, there was the big reveal…and the hint that Leia is more than just a princess herself…but those weren’t what made the movie great…they were, however, great moments in the movie.

ROTJ we are back to a little less character development in some ways, because we start out the movie seeing that they have already matured, off screen. Luke’s power has grown, Leia and Han’s love able to be realized more fully, etc. Instead, ROTJ is more plot driven. Which works, of course, but just not quite as satisfying as what we got in ESB in terms of character development.

2 Likes

But we get Ewoks!! :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

This is true. I am fine with the Ewoks. I know some love to hate on them, but I found them to be interesting and refreshing, adding to the underdog feeling of the film.

It was said that Lucas originally intended to have Endor be where the wookies came from, but I think that would have weakened the final battle and sense of stakes.

3 Likes

So @Jeff_AZ sounds like you also might need a SW poll since it’s hijacked the Pixar one :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::rofl:. Have to admit, I’ve only seen the original trilogy (?) as a kid, and they were ok. I should probably watch them again as an adult, but the whole franchise is just such a time investment. Don’t hate me! :see_no_evil:

4 Likes

Mine too! I like the Ewok celebration but I like the new ending music too. :man_shrugging:t2:

(Funny though, it came out when I was two months old. :joy: I saw all three of the original trilogy on VHS and then in theaters for the special editions.)

Pixar? What are you talking … OHHHHHH!!! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

5 Likes

Every time I think I’m over this part of TS4, I remember how deep in my core I hated this moment in the theater and how for a long, long while I referred to Bo as the villain of the movie. I agree wholeheartedly with what you said too, in-canon series or shorts would’ve achieved all of this (and they had been starting to venture that direction too with Toy Story of Terror and the like).

My DSS5 absolutely loves Forky, and I can’t tell you how many times we watched Forky asks a question at the beginning of our Disney+ days and so I want a world where Forky exists but Buzz & Woody aren’t split up.

3 Likes

Far from hating you, I’m going to join you in Just-Not-That-Into-Starwars land. We can duck and run from the rotten tomatoes together.

3 Likes

There’s strength in numbers! :joy:

2 Likes

I missed this part, and there is no way to go back. The first poll was very difficult; the second was easy.

3 Likes

If you click show vote you can change your responses to have three!

2 Likes

Just watched the new documentary Beyond Infinity on Disney+ about Buzz Lightyear, covering his inception for Toy Story and leading up to the release of the new Lightyear film. Really made me want to go back and watch the original, and also see the new movie! Toy Story is iconic.

7 Likes

Same. I hadn’t given much thought yet as to the specific premise and purpose of the new movie. After seeing this doc, it feels like a brilliant idea and a story worth telling to dig deeper and connect to what Toy Buzz thought he literally was at first. The Pixar people are so good at what they do, thus so many good options in this poll.

And let’s talk score. Sad to not have Randy Newman’s work this time, but it makes total sense. And obviously Giacchino will knock it out of the park again, like he does with everything.

3 Likes

My phone just scrolled me to the bottom and I the thought of catching up without knowing where I was would be a nightmare. So I don’t know if this was covered or not, but I don’t like the TS movies. I like some moments and even the concepts, but I don’t like the movies. I can’t even explain why, but they just don’t come together in a way that I enjoy.

3 Likes

Sorry, this is a Star Wars thread now. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::rofl:

9 Likes

We need a poll for Star Wars. Broken down by trilogy. So prequels, originals, sequels, and then the offshoot films.

3 Likes

I agree. I’m aghast at how much shade had been thrown at ESB since it’s clearly the best of the bunch in every way….

3 Likes