Please Do NOT Fill in All Available Space - A Trip Report in the Time of COVID

LOL! DD did the same. I was going to say this earlier but decided against it. One time when DD was 9 and DS was 7, I surprised them with a trip to DLR. DBrother and I picked them up from school and started driving to DLR, 6.5 hours away. DBrother asked where they wanted to go. DD hesitantly said Disneyland. DBrother was elated and said, “We are on our way!” When DD realized Daddy wasn’t going, she cried and cried and cried! We pulled over and asked if she wanted to go home. She sniffled and said, “No.” That was the only outward breakdown. She had a fabulous time with her uncle at DLR.

4 Likes

So great— have a fun time! My kids are also attached to DH, and get sad if he isn’t able to go somewhere. Usually turns around pretty quick!

1 Like

Finally settled everyone into bed. Whew! What a day!

The flight was perfectly lovely. The sun set behind us a good chunk of the way and it cast beautiful rainbow colors everywhere. :sunrise: Once we landed we grabbed our rental and drove to the resort. I’ve never driven myself before (we always take the bus or hop in a ride share) so I was nervous driving in a new place in the dark but it was such an easy drive and we got here in no time!

I never had received a room ready text and MDE had erased my early check in so I didn’t really know where to go. The front gate CM guided me to the valet area and the bell services CM advised me to leave the car in the drive while we went inside to figure out what was going on. I think it must’ve been because we had to pay the balance on the room that we hadn’t received the text so we did that and headed to self park. So easy! Parking is super close.

Kids are in awe of this resort. It’s so beautiful and fancy!!

Running in…

After we parked we walked over to the Skyliner station to watch the gondolas and attempt to convince DS to go for a quick ride. He really didn’t want to but I prodded him a bit and he reluctantly agreed. I figured he would love them when we were in the air - he is my coaster enthusiast - but he did NOT. :flushed: We just did a quick ride over to CBR and back so he didn’t suffer long. Hopefully he likes it better during the day!! :persevere:

After our ride we explored the resort a bit, grabbed some treats (and a glass of Cab for me!!) from Le Petit Cafe and checked out the gift shop. Then we headed up to the room, unpacked and got ready for bed.

I can’t believe we’re here!!! DD10 is particularly elated and over-the-moon that we were able to pull off this surprise!!!

Oh, and Room Finder worked so-so I suppose. About the same spot I requested as far as room position but I requested the highest floor and we landed on the fifth.

Not complaining though!! This view! :heart_eyes:

Tomorrow, it’s GFC at 9:30 and then a day at MK!!! :european_castle: :mouse: :star_struck::partying_face:

14 Likes

Goooood morning :heart_eyes:

3/4 kids awake. Slept well when I finally slept. That espresso at 4 pm was a poor choice. :woman_facepalming:t2:

We’re relaxing for another hour and a half and then heading to GF!

14 Likes

What a view! Wow! Have a great day!

Pretty!

Walked into GF for our breakfast and literally the second we got inside the alarms went off and they started evacuating the building. :flushed: Anyone have an idea of how long it normally takes to get back inside when there’s an emergency in the building?!

1 Like

Just waiting around. At least it’s a gorgeous morning!!

10 Likes

Oh my gosh. I am so excited for you and the kids!! What a fantastic after school surprise :heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

:pleading_face:

Nothing to do but wait and enjoy one another’s company!!!

1 Like

LOVE the way you surprised your kids and the fact you are taking them on your own! I’ll be following with much interest since I may be taking my 3 youngest (12, 8, 4) on my own in the spring. Have a great time!!! They are adorable!!

2 Likes

What ever became of that GF evacuation? Hopefully it didn’t interfere with your plans too much. I love the “not amused” look on the DD in the back.

3 Likes

Spent about 12 hours straight out and about. All in all we had a great day and I think my kids now understand why I normally wake them up so early at Disney for RD!

Getting to breakfast this morning proved to be quite the fiasco. We got down to the parking lot to head to GF only to realize I had left the car key on the counter in the room. :woman_facepalming:t2: Did an about face and headed back to the room to get it. On our way back down we had to wait FOREVER for an elevator. Mercy. I think the things opened up 10 times or more before we finally got an empty one! But we finally made it downstairs, to the car and to the GF but we were running about 5 minutes late for our ADR.

Literally the second we walked into the main building the emergency alarms started going off. When we got back to the GFC we walked straight outside again and sat there while the building was evacuated and waited until they were able to allow us back inside. Thankfully it wasn’t too long but the alarm messed up the GFC folks and they were way behind. We finally got our table ready text an hour after our ADR time and everyone was hangry.

They brought us a little plate of tiny biscuits with butter (orange whipped butter maybe? It was delish!) and we inhaled them. Dang we were hungry. Our food was delivered shortly after and we felt tons better.

After breakfast we headed over to MK (finally!!!) via the new walking path. I wish I would’ve taken some pictures but I was so busy enjoying the morning. Just a lovely way to begin our day. Very low traffic and an easy stroll.

We made it into the park around 11:30 and immediately got to see our first cavalcade which was fun! We saw three total today and didn’t even try to find them. They were just popping up everywhere!

My plan had been to soak in the atmosphere and explore the shops a bit before lunch but the kids were itching to hit some rides. Thunder was posted at 60 but TP said 31 or something so we went for it. The line wrapped all the way into the queue line space for the railroad. It was crazy! We ended up waiting 34 minutes and it felt pretty quick being constantly moving. DD4 cleared the height measurements easily and enjoyed her first ever ride! Well, maybe she did. She said it was too fast but I think she liked it!

Ugh. Didn’t realize DD4’s mask had slipped down when we snapped this picture but dang it it’s a cute one. She corrected it shortly afterward! :grimacing::mask:

After this DD6 and DD4 wanted to explore “the playground” aka The SFR Treehouse. We’ve never taken the time to go into it before and I enjoyed it. Had some pretty views too!

We saw our second cavalcade and rode WtP before our lunch at BOG. I think we waited 20 minutes past our ADR time for our table to be ready but got some cute photo pass pics while we waited. We were sat in the ballroom which is my least favorite but it was right next to the bathrooms which was nice with the kids. Overall, I was not impressed with lunch. They sat us at a table really more appropriate for 4 than 5 and I felt very cramped. Our server seemed like he had too much going on and kept forgetting things like bringing us silverware and napkins. I got the scallops which I’ve ordered here before and loved and was unimpressed - the consistency was off. Overcooked maybe? It was a lot of food and a nice, long mask break but not worth the price IMO.

After lunch, we did a lot of browsing and window shopping. Poked around the store near Gaton’s and then headed toward Main Street. The emporium felt crazy but once we got deeper into the store we felt we could space out more. We all choose to leave the kids’ money here for the next couple of days so they have a chance to evaluate all of their options for souvenirs. We’ll see if they’re still on board with that idea tomorrow. :upside_down_face:

After this, we started slowly hitting up some rides. Teacups, Buzz, Ice Cream Bars and Cotton Candy in Tomorrowland, PPF, HM and Pirates. Finished out the night with a 7:55 p.m. mobile order at Aloha Isle from our PoC boat and a pick up two minutes before close.

After we finished our Dole Whips we took some pictures in front of the castle. Then we walked the GF path back to our car and drove home! Poor DS rubbed a bad blister on his foot and I let him ride in the stroller on the walk back as he was trying to solider on but was limping and clearly in pain. Poor kid.

A little pixie dust as we walked to our room - Le Petit had closed for the evening and asked us as we were passing by if we wanted anything to take for free. We walked away with three trays of brownies! Woo more dessert!! Finished the night with those babies and Moana.

All in all, it was a great day. And I gotta say, I think I might be one of those people who likes life without FP+! It felt so nice having a more relaxed schedule not having to rush to our next FP! The kids were happy just being there and not too bothered by not riding much. They did fantastic in their masks! I was so impressed with them. We just kept talking about how happy we were to be there together! It feels so good to be home.

Epcot tomorrow!

25 Likes

I told her she wasn’t smiling in the pic and she said “of course I’m not smiling! This is awful!” :joy:

2 Likes

For not RD’ing, you all accomplished a lot! A great day. Wonderful pics. Looking forward to tomorrow! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

Great pictures! I love them sleeping in a row. Do they really sleep like that? My 2 kids were constantly kicking each other, pushing, and shoving in the bed they shared on vacations. I finally told them if they couldn’t share a bed nicely, we won’t be going on vacations. That quieted things down in bed.

1 Like

Thank you!!! I decided yesterday I really dislike attempting rides mid-day. It’s just far to crowded and the end of some of those lines are hard to find. WtP ended past Cheshire Cafe.

1 Like

Thank you!! They were just like that to watch the movie. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Two slept In that bed, one on the pull down trundle and another with me. They were all keyed up Wednesday and giggling and carrying on at bedtime but last night that was not an issue! All four crashed pretty hard! :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Morning all! Currently sitting waiting for our food at TAF. Current mood of the children…:joy:!

5 Likes

Made it to IG at 9:20. First ones here and one of the CMs reacted with “ummm ok Epcot doesn’t open until 11. You’re going to wait an hour and a half?” Seemed like an odd comment like people don’t do this everyday!

1 Like