Paypal Cash Back on Disney Gift Cards

How do you even get this deal, I login and see the shop disney logo and codes, but no option to actually shop.

It has been months since I first used this deal, but I sort of recall there may have been a button the first time I visited Paypal to add it to my stores? (Not sure about that anymore, though.)

But, now when I visit the link I shared above it looks like this - which just sends you to the shopDisney site, similar to how Rakuten etc work.

I believe you have to access it on a desktop to get the shop link to activate.

1 Like

Just used the PayPal 12% cash back link for Shop Disney last night and the pending points showed up today. 1800 pts ($18) for 150 gc (Iā€™ve been sticking to the physical 50th cards that are mailed). I used my CSP card and I think Iā€™ll get the additional 5 back from the offer plus the travel points! Great deal!

2 Likes

Woohoo!

2 Likes

So they donā€™t exclude gift cards? the wording on the terms seems to say they exclude themā€¦

ETA: I just tried it, so I guess Iā€™ll seeā€¦ Will update here! Thanks for the heads up- I donā€™t usually check PayPal as I usually use Rakuten.

1 Like

They often say excluded in the terms but still work. We all share when it does. Lately the 50th anniversary gift card seems to be a winner, the original red Mickey card can be a miss.

If you stack with an offer on your Visa plus a rewards card it can pay off well! :slight_smile:

As JJT responded - it seems to work (and this is probably the third time). Rakuten also usually works - PayPal just had the better deal this week. Because I had heard the physical 50th card works - Iā€™ve just been buying those and so far itā€™s been a success. Good luck!

I tried two styles of gift cards, mixed in with some regular shopdisney stuff. So weā€™ll see what turns up! I tried the RetroMap and the Sorcerer Mickey. So far everything is in ā€œpendingā€ status so it may take a bit. Interesting that the Red gc is sometimes a no-go, when I can get the 5% back for the red one if I buy it on Target using my target red card.

ETA: this update showed ā€œpendingā€ as in the purchase was still pending, but showed 0 points. I got the notification of pending points earned about 6 hours later.

Target is a different animal than cash back sites, no risk of any card not working there, but also no chance of 12% back either. :slight_smile:

On PayPal itā€™ll sit in pending for 60 days, a bit shorter in Rakuten and least in iBotta, but Iā€™m not sure how long on those last 2 as Iā€™ve focused on PayPal for awhile.

2 Likes

I just got notification of the full amount of pending pointsā€¦

I bought just over 100$ of random shop Disney merch (gifts) and two gift cards- one for 100, one for 50. The gift cards were the sorcerer Mickey style and the super cool retro map. The pending points matches to 12% of the purchases pre-taxes exactly, so thatā€™s awesome!

Thanks for this tip. Now to wait to make sure it all processes from pending to $ but I feel like the big hurdle is over, and maybe other gift card designs will function for other people as well.

1 Like

I know you canā€™t generally buy gift cards with other gift cardsā€¦but what about the American Express gift cards that (usually for me at least) work like credit cards in all other ways?

We have a program at work where we can give recognition to others for going above and beyond, assistance on a project thatā€™s really not their true responsibility, etc. Iā€™ve gotten a few of these awards and have always just redeemed them for Disney gift cards directly. However, I just received another nice surprise yesterday and when looking at the redemption site, I discovered that we can now get the Amex gift cards too versus just the pre-selected ones to specific businesses! Now I have this idea of instead of going for the straight Disney gift card, I should get the Amex one instead, load it on my Paypal account, go through PP to Shop Disney, and try to get the 12% backā€¦so not only would I get the award amount, but Iā€™d get myself an extra award too! :smiley:

Think that would work?

1 Like

I think itā€™s worth a shot!

Sounds like an interesting theory!

You must Be the Data Point, grasshopper.
Kung Fu Pebble

2 Likes

LOL- Challenge accepted! I just ordered the Amex card. Itā€™s physical, so Iā€™ll have to wait for it to actually arrive to test this out, but Iā€™ll report back!

2 Likes

Ooh love it. We have that system too and Ineas happy to see Disney GC on there. This idea you have is an interesting oneā€¦

@jjt how certain are we about these Paypal cash back deals? I need to order a lot and Iā€™m debating if the sure discount at BJs is better than waiting months to see if the 12% really works.

Funny, I was just transferring some of the cash back out of my Paypal account!

So far so good - when it comes to cash back portals thereā€™s no 100% guarantee something weird wonā€™t happen, but to date my initial tests all came through pending and posting normally.

Iā€™m still waiting on 3 transactions to hit the 60 day posting, which should all occur over the next 3 weeks or so. Saw one Liner report that their generic red Mickey GC did not always post, so might want to stick to the 50th anniversary design.

FWIW - I just saw someone on the Ways to Save FB group yesterday report that they had done a TON of various purchases on iBotta - but only some of them were shopDisney or GCs, and they had their account put into suspension before they could cash out. I think they said their amount in iBotta was $750?

That is nuts - I usually try to cash out any of these when I reach the minimum amount I can transfer, or at most I might wait awhile for a last transaction or two to post if I know Iā€™m not going to be using the site enough to hit the minimum again soon.

With that much cash back I suspect they were hitting iBotta a little too hard and raised suspicions - does not seem like a GC related shutdown - but just wanted to throw that out there if you are thinking about their site at some point. They have a lower % cash back, but people say it posts to account in weeks rather than Paypalā€™s months. (I havenā€™t used that site at all or even looked at it.)

2 Likes

So I should choose the physical 50th anniversary design card? How quickly do you receive them in the mail?

People have used the 50th e-Gift cards too with no issues Iā€™ve heard of - but Iā€™ve only done the physical so far. Took about a week to receive? Maybe 2 weeks for one of them?

1 Like