Paypal Cash Back on Disney Gift Cards

I feel a bit ripped off (sort of…in a first world problems sort of way). I ordered two $500 gift cards from Shop Disney on a single order. I saw no fine print to say there was a maximum to the 10%. So, I figured I would get a $100 reward. But I didn’t. I got $50. That’s only 5%. I wouldn’t have done it for 5% because I would have waited for another 10% offer someplace else. I won’t use the gift cards until I need to pay my DVC dues.

BTW the 10% off is over today. It is 4% today.

1 Like

Yep - I should have also mentioned the mental overhead of all the various fine print.

Plus, often the fine print will tell you gift cards do not work - but they do, sometimes depending on which card you purchase. Have to keep an eye on threads here and other sites to see which ones work at any given time.

Worth checking the portals every day or two, the 10% will eventually return.

1 Like

Sad to report the 100 anniversary e card did not work for me. Got zeroed out on Rakuten :frowning:

Ugh.

Also just noticed I was supposed to get $25 cash back for my first order. But they only gave me $15.

It is hard to complain about “free money”, but at the same time, it is misleading to not follow through on what they were claiming.

4 Likes

Seriously. But I went in knowing the risk! Was going to start with a smaller value…

2 Likes

And this is where I get on my high horse about the principle of it. $10 isn’t worth a couple hours of work to get but a couple of hours is worth calling a company out on bait and switch tactics and dishonor.

1 Like

For sure - the whole process is kind of a see-saw of “is this really worth it to me if I’m going to have to pound on their door all the time?” or some other broken metaphor.

After a fair number of transactions last year, I think I’m at the point when I know I can stack a credit card-linked offer with a cash back portal of 10% or more plus also earn some credit card rewards points, I’ll give it a go. So, at least if the portal chokes, I’ve got the other savings to make me feel good about life.

The card-linked offers always work because they only rely on a purchase at the site, not a defined product 99% of the time.

1 Like

It is weird. Do I contact them about this, or do I wait? In the app, if I click on my shopping, I see the $100 back for the shopDisney purchase. (The instances above it were me poking around…I didn’t actually buy anything.)

Anyhow, and when I look at the Cash Back page, it shows the $100 plus $15. That should be $115. (Yes…I can do math. Yay me!)

But on the Summary page, it shows lifetime cash back of $65.

And I got an email congratulating me on my first $50.

So confused.

2 Likes

Okay. So, I checked my account from the website instead of the app, and it said I had $110! But if I added PayPal , it would add the final $5. I did, and now it says it will pay me my $115 to my PayPal account.

So, apparently I did get the full amount. That’s good. They just have issues with their app and, apparently, email.

Not sure why the welcome amount was only $15 instead of $25…but I am happy I ended up with the full 10%. Well, assuming it does actually end up in my PayPal account!

1 Like

I’ve never seen the varied amount weirdness before.
In any case I’d likely wait it out to see what actually happens, PLUS if you’re buying gift cards there is also the risk they see that and tell you those aren’t eligible for cash back, depending on the offer.

1 Like

And…now the app matches the website. :roll_eyes: (But in a good way because it shows the $115.)

Another weird thing. Last night when I did this I was able to click to see the fine print on the deal. Today, when I click it just takes me the shopping page.

I am almost certain gifts cards were not excluded, but I see no way to go back and check.

2 Likes

Good times.

As far as I can tell, I’m good for Rakuten. It shows “cash back on purchases” as $15 for the shop disney. There are some “pending” in my account but those are for hotel stays that I linked through Rakuten and haven’t completed yet. Once it shows up as a cash back value, I’ve never had a cash back drop off unless I cancel an order or something like that.

That being said, the small print excludes gift cards. But for the Gift Card Black Friday Debacle ™ from 2022, the cash back never showed at all on the Rakuten. The shopping trip showed, but no cash back.

The next “big fat check” won’t be sent for a while, though, so the time when I get the actual cash refund may be quite a ways away.

Boooooo.

1 Like

When this happened to me in the past I was so bummed. I tried to explain to my husband why, and he said, “But do you get the gift card?” I said, “yeah, but I didn’t get the DISCOUNT!!! Waaaaaaahhhhhh.” He just shrugged and walked away.

2 Likes

Which style of Gift Card did you order? Since it seemed the discount worked for you… Hoping…

That is my husband’s threshold too. I had $1000 tied up in one of those discount gift card websites that we are pretty sure they were ivesting in crypto and got in big trouble when that crashed. It took a long time to get my money back - and I was one of the lucky ones who got a refund i stead of a bum GC. So as long as I get 1:1, anything else is bonus!

1 Like

They come and go quickly!! Paypal discounts seem to stay longer. Right now the link through Paypal deals is 6% which isn’t totally worth it to me. But stacked with my other 5% CC offer, it comes close to my threshold.

The next one to look for is the best buy has disney cards through their website. They have had a 10% off the last two months on the 22nd.

3 Likes