Paypal Cash Back on Disney Gift Cards

I ordered from Rakuten (3% shop disney) bc I had a CC reward (Chase Sapphire) that gave me 5% up to 100$ purchase. Mostly just wanted to check if Rakuten is still up for grabs. I got the notice that $3 hit my Rakuten account, so appears to be working. I ordered a physical card, in the new valentines day style. 3% isn’t something I’d get excited about generally, but stacking with the 5% and for experiment sake, I guess it’s worth it…

And I checked on my pending points in Paypal from my purchases back 7 days ago, and they are still in pending, but I also don’t see a current offer for PayPal Rewards with ShopDisney at the moment.

1 Like

Anyone here have any data points on whether Rakuten cash back tracks when you buy gift cards online at Best Buy?

I’ve a card-linked 10% back at Best Buy on my SW Priority card and Rakuten has a 10% cash back for BB today.

Doing a little digging and I think I’ve found some people saying that just the BB store gift cards are processed by another site, but 3rd party gift cards (like Disney) are processed by BB themselves.

So, wondering if Rakuten % back will trigger online.
Figured I’d ask people I trust to have good info rather than believe the rando Internet peoplez.

The card-linked offer has a $25 maximum back, which is pretty nice, so doubling it would be extra pretty nice. :dollar:

1 Like

I just checked my spread sheet and sorry, my last Chase BB I didn’t do through Rakuten. It was a flash 20% off. The good news is it did process through Chase.

1 Like

Did you decide to try it?

I did not - some clues from others that the Rakuten cash back won’t kick in for gift cards even if processed directly by BB.

After going through the Rakuten categories listed eligible 10% it did seem unlikely to work for this higher % back, anyway.

I have until March 13th for this card offer to expire, so deciding what my best GC play is. I’ve had several 20% cash back at other stores that sell gift cards lately, so kind of funny how 10% at Best Buy is feeling a little chintzy to me right now. :smiley:

2 Likes

What stores have you had success at?

Until Black Friday week, success at Rakuten and Paypal after buying gift cards regularly last June.

I was mostly focusing on Paypal because of the often 9% back - then my order around Black Friday posted with pending points = 0, as did others at Paypal and Rakuten. (Lots of discussion back in thread.)

I have not purchased anything since then until I tested out a new iBotta account the other day - was only 1% for shopDisney and still don’t even see any indication it even recognized that shopping trip. Don’t have high hopes there. (First time using iBotta at all so I don’t know how long things take to appear.)

So, at this point I’m trying to figure out if any of the sites work for shopDisney GCs. Peggy above reported points appearing at Rakuten using a new Valentine’s card, so I think that will be my next attempt.

I have used ibotta for other things before and they are pretty reliable. Not for disney though. They offer pretty good discounts for buying gift cards through them with percentages deposited imediatley into your ibotta account.

As you mentioned no luck with gift cards on paypal these but let us know if you find anything that works. I will start exploring possibilites as well :wink:

1 Like

OK, used the card-linked 10% back up to $5 offer on my Sapphire Preferred through Rakuten - which was a measly 1%, so the Rakuten part was mainly for data point gathering.

Bought this physical Mickey & Minnie card:

There was no click-through button to get to shopDisney from Rakuten - it seemed like I had to use the Rakuten extension this time. I’m not a fan of having extensions running all the time, so I installed it, hit Shop Now button and at the site it popped up an "1% on eligible purchases Activated!

After buying the card I disabled the extension. Will report back.

4 Likes

Very cute card design.

1 Like

My measly 1% from Rakuten is still in my account from purchasing physical GC with my various Chase offers a week ago. We’ll see if it sticks.

1 Like

I tried multiple times to get cash back with Best Buy and never had any success.

With Rakuten, for direct shopdisney GC purchases I’ve had luck with the physical card (Valentines Day card) but NOT with the digital gift card…

Can confirm I got this cash back from Rakuten. $3 back Ohhhh Yeahhh.

2 Likes

Just wanted to flag that everyone should check their Target Circle offers. I had a “spend $100” get $15 in rewards money. It works on third party gift cards and you still get the 1% Circle earnings on the purchae. People"s offer"s vary, but you should be looking at 10-15%.

6 Likes

Rakuten has (had?) a 10% cash back for ShopDisney. I just bought a 150$ gift card, physical, in the 100 years style, and I have $15 pending from Rakuten right now. I used Paypal to pay, hoping for an additional 5% off for Paypal using my Citi card, which is a promo for my dividend rewards card thru the end of the month.

2 Likes

Thanks for the heads up!

How do you know if the purchase properly applied to Rakutan to eran the reward? If you go to Shop Disney through the Rakutan account, how will Rakutan know you made a purchase and for how much? Is there a way to tell in the app?

1 Like

How long does the cash back stay pending for in Rakuten? Will you report back amd let us know if it goes through.

1 Like

I have the little button on my web browser (please forgive the very technical terms I’ve used :sweat_smile:). If I click on pending, it brings me to my account. It shows the dates, shopping and amount. When you go through Rakutan, it creates a “shopping trip”. You can keep track of the shopping # if you’d like. I don’t.

All of the shopping portals set a tracking cookie as you leave their portal for the shopping site.
So, I usually keep the shopping trip simple and click through from the portal and get the purchase done right then to avoid any technical cookie snafus.

(People sometimes think they can game the system and click through from multiple cash back portals prior to a purchase, but in reality almost always the last portal click will win.)

That being said: you will encounter technical cookie snafus and sometimes things do no track or they track and still don’t pay, so, there is some mental overhead involved to make sure it all happens. (Also, sometimes the payout isn’t until 30 days or longer because they want to make sure you didn’t purchase, get cash back, return.)

That being said: MOST of the time when I’ve sent in a case to Rakuten, Paypal etc they’ve just credited me the cash back or points almost immediately.