Orlando Theme Parks provide proposed re-opening date at Orange County Task Force Meeting tomorrow May 21st EDIT

I agree with them eliminating single rider lines. I am wondering about Express Pass lines. Aren’t those different things?

They are different things and I expect they will try to give some sort of favorability to those who pay or stay at the premier hotels. But not sure what that will look like with 100% virtual queues as they have proposed.

1 Like

If they use virtual queues, I expect the same entrance will be used for that as well as express pass.

1 Like

Wouldn’t the virtual queues be used in conjunction with standby? When it’s your time to line, a limited number of people enter and stand socially distanced in regular standby space (hopefully with switchbacks removed).
Perhaps if EP is still a thing then they still get to use the shorter EP line.

2 Likes

FPP for both Fantasmic and Rivers of Light are available after July 27- I see them on MDE for August 2. August 3rd for ROL as well. Can’t see 8/3 at HS due to FPP booked at AK. Strangely there are no FPP on 8/3 for Kilimanjaro Safaris and the shows.

Strange. I wonder why the Dibb isn’t showing those? Oh well. Add this to the 5,000,000,000 other theories out there that failed. Lol

Umm the trains at Germany? They’re must see.

There’s a huge amount of stuff far more - during olden times - than we could do in a day. And that’s not including a table service meal.

1 Like

I don’t know, I have never really used the Dibb. It seems reasonable to me that they won’t have the night shows, but guess they haven’t decided to pull them from MDE yet.

I would add two more …

Effective anti-viral substantially reduces the severity and CFR.

It turns out that there are so many asymptomatic and mild cases that the actual CFR is .2% or under. Unlikely, but not impossible. We don’t have enough data yet. I think people would accept a .2% CFR and go about their business with a but more hand washing.

2 Likes

That one seems valid.

Wouldn’t that likely put our hospitals in constant surge capacity during flu season? Essentially ~triple the normal flu hospitalization? I think they’d need to push more than hand washing if that is the case.

2 Likes

It now looks like Disney will be presenting their reopening plans and dates next week.

Yesterday, after Universal’s announcement of opening up June 5 to the public has made me feel much more excited and hopeful…and now with Disney planning to announce things next week, I am growing confident in our August trip!

4 Likes

There surely isn’t doubt that WDW will be open for you. The question is more what the experience will be. What attractions will be open / running. How you will access them (FPP / virtual line etc). What restaurants and shops will be open. Will there be capacity restrictions. And so on.

7 Likes

Me too!!! :crossed_fingers:

Yes. I am fairly confident the resort will be open for our trip at the end of July but am anxiously awaiting more detail on how the parks plans to reopen before I get super excited about actually going.

2 Likes

True. But we have already decided that if Disney is a no go, we will still go down to Florida, rent a really nice house, and focus on Universal. It is our backup backup backup plan. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have something similar. I have a friend (well, former customer) with a house in Florida. I stayed there during my first two trips in 2017 and 2018. It’s beautiful. Very relaxing. If it comes to it I could just stay there for a week.

1 Like

Is anyone going to test a subset of guests or team members that were there after park opening to see if procedures were enough?

My dream reopening procedure would be:

• Open one park for one day
  • Make it exclusive for Florida residents over 18 and under 65 who declare not to have any pre-existing conditions nor live with someone in an at risk group
  • Distribute tickets on a lottery system, having a guest group and a control group
  • Track what each guest does while in the park (Magic band style)
  • One week after the opening day, test both groups to compare covid prevalence
  • Do the same thing with team members

If covid prevalence is not significantly different, reopen. Else, look for behaviour patterns to identify hot spots. Repeat removing the more dangerous activities until covid prevalence is not that different.

Never going to happen, but it would be nice.

I do hope they plan on testing at least a random sunset of employees. If not, considering incubation periods, it might take a couple of weeks to notice that something is not as safe as expected.

2 Likes

Just FYI, Governor DeSantis will be holding Covid-19 press conference at 11AM EDT

I am sure that the re-opening of Universal will be a topic covered.

Orange County Mayor Jerry Demings was on CNBC last night stating that he was approving the plan and would send it onto the Governor on Friday morning.

2 Likes

That sort of assumes they would keep things closed or scaled back if there was significant increased spread. I haven’t followed the Florida briefings close enough to know the exact mindset in their leadership.

When pressed if there were criteria that, if met, would cause re-closures in Texas, our governor said there were two contingency plans. The first was to increase surge capacity at hospitals. The second was to limit medical procedures to free up hospital space. So basically, we are taking some precautions to slow spread, but he accepts widespread infection as long as the hospital system capacity can meet it.

I suspect Florida governor is in a similar mindset from what I have heard.

I would much prefer your approach of balancing risk vs reward. Beyond the mortalities, the utter disregard for the long term health damage to many of the hospitalizations that “recover” is stomach churning for me. “Recovered” just means tests negative for Covid. A friend was telling me about a friend of hers in his 20s that was perfectly healthy and will now be on dialysis the rest of his life.

I don’t think they have any kind of handle on those statistics yet. Yes, the risk to a healthy individual is low, but when you start to run the infection through thousands and thousands of people, the statistics catch up with you as a society.

2 Likes

Well, I love EPCOT for all the things - Soarin, Living with the land, (the tequila :crazy_face: ), World showcase in general. We are similar to Ryan1 in that we can live without the parades, meet n’ greets, and fireworks, we will wear the masks etc. but I think we would be on the fence with one or more of the parks being closed. Because ya, how do you fill the 6 days with park hopper tickets if one or more park closed? However, our trip is in December 2020. We’ll drive if we can’t fly from Canada. The thing is, we booked through David’s so unless we got an official full closure from WDW, I think we’d be out of pocket for the one bedroom at Boardwalk :grimacing: $$$. We have insurance but I don’t think we would be able to make a claim if Disney wasn’t officially and completely closed at the time of our trip. My partner thinks that we will be in the midst of a second wave of the pandemic by September but who knows…I’m trying to be optimistic. But yah, I think our breaking point would be the ride closures. (Even though after three days, I have to start popping anti- nausea medication because I get motion sick… :nauseated_face: )

1 Like