OBNurseNH's Secret Star Wars Viewing Thread

New Kenobi trailer is here!

9 Likes

Iā€™m so #!@&ing excited!!!

:star_struck::star_struck::star_struck:

:yellow_heart::blue_heart::black_heart:

6 Likes

So incredibly excited and anxious about this series. After the first episode of the Book of Boba Fett, I was so excited and praised Disney in my post above, but I quickly began to dislike most of that series and had what can only be described as a very bad reaction to the finale. I said to my husband ā€œI found that hour of TV completely soul destroyingā€ :laughing:. A little over the top? Maybe. But Iā€™m a huge fan and felt that finale was everything I feared, when Disney bought Lucasfilm.

The use of Grogu in that finale haunts me. Why Grogu calmed the Rancor and not Boba completely baffles me. The end scene with Grogu laughing at light speed - please!

I thought Grogu was managed so well in the Mandalorian. Groguā€™s presence was so much more than a ā€œMerchā€ opportunity, but that Boba finale was everything I feared.

Anyways back to Kenobi - the series I was most excited for when all the live action shows were announced (along with Ahsoka) - fingers crossed itā€™s as good as I hope it will be!

4 Likes

Who have I become that Iā€™m browsing here

17 Likes

A hero.

3 Likes

Well thatā€™s a little excessive.

but thank you :wink:

2 Likes

DH is playing Lego Star Wars and Iā€™m sort of pheripherally watching.

He is in a part of the game with Qui Gon Jinn and Jar Jar
All of a sudden he does something accidentally and first Keira and then Mando and The Child show up

Iā€™m all - this game is mixing up all the timelines! :laughing:

6 Likes

We just bought that game this week too! My DS is already eyeballing all the extra add-on packs, including the Mandalorian pack.

3 Likes

@Jeff_Az and @EMgoblue Resurrecting the film music sub-thread from here last yearā€¦

Was FINALLY going through a bunch of notes and sources I had compiled over time to start reading up on film music and found a terrific podcast this week: The Soundtrack Show. Really loving how he discusses the basic musical theory in the first few episodes so far.

Thought Jeff or @EMā€™s son might like to listen if you donā€™t already.

I feel like someone may have mentioned another podcast in this discussion last year(?), but Iā€™m not seeing it.

I also found The Art of the Score podcast but havenā€™t listened to any yet - Iā€™m binging the Soundtrack show at the moment. (Happily, Iā€™ve had to do a lot more driving to field sites lately because of a few large projects at work!)

Iā€™ve compiled a Goodreads shelf with a bunch of books I want to go through - some appear to be more technical, so Iā€™ve requested Film Music: A Very Short Introduction and A History of Film Music
to start with so I donā€™t jump too far into the deep end and get bogged down. Guess Iā€™ll see how far I get!

I also found a Reddit thread that mentioned this group of blog posts to check out.

I find it a little funny that most blog posts and videos Iā€™ve found online tend to be about the same grouping of films and more recent composers - Maybe if I ever actually get a podcast of my own up and running, I can niche out with earlier flicks. :wink:

6 Likes

Argh, I knew I forgot something:
Anyone NYC area peoples: the NY Pops is having The Music of Star Wars concert in February 2023!

Tix on sale in August.

6 Likes

Ooh, is this in the works??

2 Likes

A pipe dream - this is all me starting my research.

But I donā€™t have any formal music education except for a few music history classes in college, so not sure if Iā€™d have anything useful to say beyond my appreciation of it all. (The Soundtrack Show host is enlightening me on a lot of things I already hadnā€™t thought about, even when I played in concert and stage bands in high school.)

Who knows, maybe I might find some good resources on older films and see if anything interesting appears to me to write/talk about.

4 Likes

Maybe you should team up with a skilled liner :smiley::smiley::smiley:

4 Likes

This is my favorite podcast! David W. Collins also did a series called Star Wars Oxygen that was a part of the Rebel Force Radio podcast where he covered most of the Star Wars saga as well, including some films he hasnā€™t gotten to on the Soundtrack Show. But the Soundtrack Show obviously covers a lot of non-Star Wars and non-Williams stuff as well, so both are worthwhile.

4 Likes

P.S. On one of the Jurassic Park episodes, he reads a letter from me. :hearts:

7 Likes

Nice!

3 Likes

Thereā€™s an unsurprising overlap here among Disney fans and soundtrack/score enthusiasts. Iā€™m not a big podcast listener, but this one sounds worth the time. I love deep dives into the ideas of the Elfmans, Zimmers, and Horners of the world.

And obviously Williams. Occasionally while playing pre and post-service organ music for church, I have no plan of what to play so I improvise either something original or tie together a medley of some kind. One time I had a strings-heavy sound and accidentally drifted into a bar of ā€œWelcome to Jurassic Parkā€ because it felt right. Oops. :rofl:

Awesome! Now I must take a listen.

6 Likes

What a coincidence! I play the organ in church too! My favorite little Easter egg is to play the part from Robin Hood where the church mouse is playing the organ after the ā€œNot in Nottinghamā€ song. :rofl:

9 Likes

Thanks for the tip! I will definitely have to check this out, especially now that Iā€™ve recently become addicted to podcasts :grin:

3 Likes

This touches on books, and the Mandalorian, and Rebels, and a whole bunch of things other than the movies, but is anyone else absolutely enamored with Grand Admiral Thrawn and his story line?

2 Likes