NY, NJ and CT require travelers from states with high coronavirus rates to

I’m from Jersey and cancelled, but this was just one of many reasons. I feel at every turn starting with our April trip, then rescheduled to August, the vacation gods were just not having it this year.
Pros of going:

• nice tan line from the mask
  • storm troopers yelling at people to keep a distance
    Cons of going:
  • paying same price for much much less
  • 6 year old with no character greets, no parades, no fireworks
  • no idea what the wait for rides will be
  • swamp face from wearing a mask all day
  • no “cool zones” to cool off
  • when it pours (it will), can you duck into a store or will it be at capacity?
  • when it pours, will the mask drown me or can I remove it for a minute?
  • waiting an eternity online to reserve park days
  • waiting an eternity on hold to get moved from POFQ to who knows where
  • limited crowds on bus transportation, who knows how that will look
  • “not so scary” cancelled
  • quarantine when returning and having daughter miss beginning of school (maybe?), which was the reason to go in August to begin with
2 Likes

All valid reasons. I agree, my august trip is just for myself and one other adult. If my kids were going I would have postponed for the same reasons. I am still not convinced either way but decided to wait until 30 days before to make the final decision.

Exactly. A negative test only tells you your “right now” status. In order to be certain of a negative, you would have to test again later. I don’t understand why some states (Hawaii is one) are accepting this in lieu of a quarantine. If they feel a quarantine is necessary they need to get the gumption to enforce that.

4 Likes

yeah, i agree. We said same thing, that if it was just my wife and I we would wait until last minute. But with quarantine on return, that would of squashed that anyway. Good luck, a lot changes almost day by day so you may luck out!

What about checking on day six or seven then? Hope to remove the second week? I know our facility has three hour tests available.

Having only 10% of those reasons would make me cancel!

1 Like

Serial testing would be most effective, really.

1 Like

I’m concerned for people who left the state before this was announced. How do people handle two weeks of unpaid quarantine? :frowning:

I suppose that’s something we should all consider.

I guess it hadn’t occurred until now that such a restriction could be placed while I was traveling and I was only thinking about what has been set out before I go.

Right. There’s evidence that some people take even longer than 14 days. I know I wouldn’t want to be working with someone who was walking around the unmasked masses in FL 7 days ago. I barely feel comfortable working around people in Detroit even though we’ve barely even had any cases for 2 weeks now and everyone wears masks. They actually just lifted the county ban on going to work if you’ve traveled outside of the state at all.

2 Likes

If those are the rapid tests, our health dept has told us the positive results from that test are fairly accurate, but the negatives aren’t accurate enough to rely on. In practical use, people here that test negative on the rapid test are also getting the more reliable test done so as to be certain. (And isolating until the results are received.) Getting the quick positives allow contact tracing and such to kick off faster, so that’s it’s real value, but not as a measure of NOT having Covid.

It’s what we use pre-op so they must have value locally!

Well, it’s better than not testing at all. Because except for facilities that have on site machines, there isn’t really another option.

But in terms of not needing to quarantine after being in a hot spot, it’s a token effort.

1 Like

Rapid tests are most effectively used on populations where you can do multiple tests over a period of days (like the White House staff or hospital staff). They have a high enough failure rate that they’re not reliable enough for one-time testing, but if you’re getting tested 3 times in a week then the other tests will catch the failure.

3 Likes

Exactly.

Note: With a 3 hour turnaround, it’s possible they have a higher end machine on site, as opposed to just giving themselves cushion in running a rapid test, but I’d be sure to check on that.

I highly doubt the hospital is playing fast and loose with their patients. :woman_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

Is this the same hospital where nurses aren’t wearing masks except at the bedside? :smirk:

1 Like

Indeed.
It’s also the hospital that has opened its doors back to visitors and is part of vaccine trials.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/covid-19-vaccine-trials-begin-at-rochester-general-hospital/ar-BB15lCV0

It’s also the hospital that was a ghost town for six weeks and is working hard to get all the people who needed surgeries this spring in for treatment. :heart:

My own sister finally had her cataract surgery yesterday - bumped from early April. :eyes:

2 Likes

Some more neat info from my hospital-

We want all teams to be aware of the new travel mandate from New York State .

Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s June 24 Executive Order—issued jointly with New Jersey and Connecticut—requires 14-day quarantine restrictions on travelers arriving from states that have a significant degree of community-wide spread of COVID-19. As of June 24, those designated states were Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, North Carolina, South Carolina, Texas, and Utah.

RRH Travel Reminders

RRH is working diligently to put processes in place to help team members comply with this new requirement. The safety of our team members and our community is the utmost priority. Employees who are currently traveling or plan to travel to any of the designated states are permitted to work upon their return, provided they follow the process outlined below.

· Employees are required to call the Employee Hotline for clearance to work upon returning from any out of state travel.

o The designated states identified above may change; therefore please contact the hotline for updated information when returning from travel out of state.

· Employees are also required to call the Employee Hotline to arrange for diagnostic COVID-19 testing (via nasopharyngeal swab) to be completed within 24 hours of returning to New York.

· Asymptomatic employees may continue to work while awaiting their test result.

o Asymptomatic employees will also be directed to monitor their symptoms and follow any additional instructions based on their hotline screening.

This guidance from Gov. Cuomo is subject to change and it is recommended that employees reference the New York State website for the most current information. The quarantine rule does not apply for those passing through any of the designated states for less than 24 hours (i.e., stopping at rest stops for vehicles, buses, and/or trains; or layovers in transit).

SO - asymptomatic health care workers will be back to work.

1 Like

We were just discussing this on a leadership meeting call I had yesterday.

We haven’t had an update from Employee Health in quite a while (probably a month? which recently feels like forever). But our guidance was most recently the same as what your organization states: aysmptomatic = no need to quarantine while awaiting test results.

We were debating whether we should kick the hornet’s nest and ask for an update, putting a potential disaster in motion with summer vacations upcoming. If they decide to alter the recommendation to quarantine, we could end up in a critical staffing shortage. In the end we did figure the recommendation would be as you’ve outlined, and are asking for the update.

1 Like