NY, NJ and CT require travelers from states with high coronavirus rates to

I think the Orange County Task force indicated that they are seeing most of the rise related to the opening of bars, as well as protests. I’m not sure about the second, but the bars apparently has been an issue because the bars themselves are not enforcing the rules that the task force laid out.

So, they seem to be contact tracing enough to get a sense as to what is causing the increased numbers. Hopefully this means they will be able to get a handle on it quickly. Apparently shutting down bars might be part of that!!!

2 Likes

Not sure who thought that openening bars was a good idea. After a few drinks even the best intentions go out the window. That should have been the last thing to open.

6 Likes

I wonder if protesters there didn’t wear masks? They haven’t had any noticeable impact here, and I was actually impressed by the mask-wearing here. Minneapolis had specific testing sites for protesters and found them to be in line with the numbers pre-protest, but it seemed like most were wearing masks there, too.

I agree. They opened the bars and restaurants here on 6/8, and I’m steering clear for awhile yet, but based on the traffic and full parking lots in my neighborhood plenty are still going out, though it doesn’t seem like they’re staying open as late as normal. The clubs haven’t opened yet, I don’t think, though I don’t know if that’s because they’re not allowed or because it’s not worth paying DJs and staff for 50% capacity, plus who wants to go to a half-empty club?

2 Likes

I have wondered the same thing. Is there no clause that allows them to bypass that in state of emergencies or something. Or can they do it just because they arent actually telling us we cant travel to a different state but just telling us we have to quarantine once we return? Not familiar with the laws which is likely what they are counting on

1 Like

Not a lawyer, and obviously they can do anything they want until somebody gets around to sueing them for it. I’m pretty sure they aren’t allowed to violate the constitution just because they think they have a really good reason. That would be the end of the 2nd amendment if it was the case.

I was remembering when there was the ebola outbreak years ago. There was a nurse who returned to NJ from fighting ebola in Africa. The state tried to madate she quarantine. They tried, they failed and she was let go.

1 Like

Quarantine laws have been tested in the courts (all the way up to SCOTUS), and have been found to be Constitutional use of States’ police power. They have found multiple times that because the intent is to protect the people within the state and does not actually bar people from partaking of the other states’ commerce, it is not a violation if the interstate commerce clause as long as the power is applied evenly. This does not prevent them from restricting only those who travel from certain states, as long as there is a reasonable measure used to determine which states are included… the “applied evenly” just means it needs to be applied to both residents and non-residents.

6 Likes

Thank you for speaking to this so much more intelligently than I could have!

2 Likes

Makes sense…thanks!

2 Likes

Agreed. The Texas Governor is being highly critical of millennials for going to bars. That he re-opened. What did he think would happen? It’s not like bars were going to survive off couples going out for a secluded two-drink date night.

And after he totally undermined Dallas’s attempted enforcement of the state closure of hair salons, some bars are apparently being pretty brazen about violating the occupancy limits and local officials are in this gray area where they don’t know if trying to enforce the limits will just get undermined. At least the state is now yanking liquor licenses.

There was an underwhelming amount of thought put into the risks of re-opening vs the economic benefits for various activities. Instead, it was “give me the guidelines for the safest way you think your industry can re-open and we’ll see how it goes”.

I hope all the other states will learn from what happening here in Texas.

2 Likes

Way back in March the state of Michigan imposed a capacity limit on bars, and the two biggest counties imposed even stricter regulations, with threats of losing liquor licenses. That weekend (the weekend before St. Patrick’s Day) the internet was full of pictures of all the super crowded bars, and on Monday the Governor said something to the effect of “Well, we tried to let you govern yourselves but you did nothing, so now we have no choice but to close you all down until further notice.” Then a week later came the total stay at home order and people acted all shocked.

Now, when we reopened they’re taking it more seriously which could explain why we aren’t having so many places that have to shut down due to outbreaks, though there is one in East Lansing, which is where Michigan State University is.

2 Likes

The good thing about this boat is that they at least they had us social distance and no one came by us with out a mask. When fishing it was hard to be out in the sun while wearing the masks. With that being said there is no way I could do Disney wile wearing a mask at least in the warm months. I’ve been happy to just get out and catch some fish. I had not caught a fish in over a year. Last year I went fishing but the weather kept the boat at the dock so I went but never got to actually go. I turned 50 the end of May and I have been out 3 time so far with a New England trip planed for next month.

Me a DW went to Cabela’s out in Hamburg PA. I was happy to see most people wearing masks, but there were groups of teens not which was sad.

Happy birthday, belatedly! My husband turned 50 on 5/19!

Thank you I was the 26th my Dad turned 80 on the 27th and my father in-law God rest his sole was the 25th. Please give your husband my birthday wishes belated as well.

1 Like

If you drive, how does NY know where you went?
Friend just went to NC last week before this edict went out. When she drives back to NY… what? State Troopers on every highway entrance into the state?

Honestly they wont, pretty sure this is on the honor system. So they are trusting the citizens to do the right thing. In New york the penalties are pretty steep if you do somehow get caught so I think they are hoping that will be enough to have people follow the quarantine rules. I know in new jersey they even came out and said they dont really have the resources to enforce and a negative covid test when you return would be just as good as a 14 day quarantine.

That makes a lot of sense to me.

Except that viral infection happens when the virus has created a certain amount of new viral cells in a body. That threshold is no the same for everyone and the time it takes to reach that point is different between different people. Some people take 3 after exposure days to develop active infection and others take 10 or more. If someone gets tested 4 days after exposure they could still develop active infection after that. It’s generally recognized that if you haven’t developed active infection within 14 days then you’re not going to, which is why that’s the quarantine period.

3 Likes