Memes and Jokes (Part 2)

That was essentially “our new shit-show of an app caused so many problems we can’t handle all the crap flying at us, so ‘Peace, out’.”

11 Likes

4 Likes

Seems about right.

4 Likes

Good authors, too, who once knew better words now only use four letter words writing prose…anything goes!

Actually, I wonder if this tells us less about when words or phrases were used, and more about how many books are digitally catalogued from those time periods.

3 Likes

Oh, there’s obviously a social mores aspect to the whole books ngram results, and I agree there has to be some function of the number of books from each time period as well as OCR ability over time. (Not sure if they continuously update the OCR results as tech gets better or if they just let the early scans sit as is.)

Their info page has some fun usage and tidbits.

Still, fun.

2 Likes

Today’s Dilbert cartoon. Especially since today is Tuesday, I immediately thought of Disney and its not-so-lovely IT/phone/chat systems.

19 Likes

This is so familiar now it isn’t even funny

5 Likes

My favorite part is how they took credit for the resolution of things :woman_facepalming::rofl:

8 Likes

14 Likes

On a common theme… I was searching the newly released 1950 us census for family at lunch.
The National Archives used software to turn the handwriting into searchable text. Did a fairly good job, but still lots of weirdness. Looks like the software got a little flustered in the middle, there.

12 Likes

I appreciate Many Ms too :rofl:

3 Likes

Ha! I didn’t even catch that! :laughing:

3 Likes

One for the Brits…

11 Likes

Blurred for the faint of heart. :sunglasses:

snoopy

13 Likes

13 Likes

Well played