Mask update for WDW and DLR

I cannot believe how happy I feel about this policy change.

11 Likes

Hay, that’s universal not Disney.:grinning:

6 Likes

LOL… they’re next… I’m still happy, nothing can spoil my mood. Ok, please NO one spoil my good mood :rofl:

1 Like

The mayor declared a state of emergency today so I’m glad Disney responded. https://insidethemagic.net/2021/07/orange-county-fl-mayor-declares-state-of-emergency-ks1/

I was there last week with my family, 3/4 are vaccinated (our son is 11). We wore masks indoors and wherever we felt crowded. I echo the advice about a lanyard - it made taking our masks on and off easier.

5 Likes

I did two trips to WDW last fall when it was masking at all times - including a week on-site, so literally unless you were in your room, you had a mask on. (It got to the point where we would almost forget to remove the mask to eat)

Having to just wear a mask indoors, easy peasy compared to 14 hours straight.

…where I live there are zero mask mandates, they are even stupidly removing isolation requirements if you test positive next month. I still choose to wear a mask indoors. (I am fully vaxxed) I think it’s the right thing to do, especially to protect those who legitimately can’t get vaccinated i.e. under 12.

15 Likes

23 days out from WDW and even though I am fully vaccinated I was already planning on wearing a mask inside and in very crowded places. I just started wearing my mask again when I go to the grocery store and whatnot. I’m not worried about dying or being hospitalized since I’m fully vaccinated but I do not want to pick up Covid before or during my vacation and be laid up in my hotel room feeling like crap. (Not to mention spread covid around).

I’m glad Disney put indoor mask mandate back in effect. Now it would be really nice if they’d take a break with releasing more park reservations for a bit.

I KNEW I should have bought some Disney masks on sale when I was at the Disney outlet store on Sunday! :joy:

7 Likes

I don’t see it that way.

Once the Emergency Order was signed, Disney had to follow suit. The Mayor had said he expected all businesses to follow, and specifically said “including theme parks”.

History this last 18 months has shown that waiting a few days to give people notice simply allows it to worsen rapidly.

2 Likes

Am I the only person that’s nonplused about this change? I’m not mad about it, nor am I glad. It’s a change in policy during a dynamic time in history to respond in the best way we know how based on the information we have. It is what it is. Maybe I’m just at the point that I expect policies to be fluid. If I choose to go to Disney during a time when policies are everchanging, I have to expect that they might change.

25 Likes

I wish I had waited to buy the 6 day park hopper tickets I bought last night…… i just hope states don’t close their boarders again and require quarantines. I hope I didn’t just waste thousands on a trip that won’t be as fun.

2 Likes

I just wish they would require vaccine proof or negative tests each day of the vacation to enter.

But I’m not going until October. I’m hopeful Delta will burn out by then. *and another one doesn’t take it’s place.

4 Likes

I did 3 WDW trips during COVID when masks were required indoors AND out. It was different, but I am so glad I went. I hope you will be able to find the fun for yourself. But if you want to cancel given the change, I would call Disney to press for a full reimbursement given the change in policy.

4 Likes

A bit of a rant, I guess, but since we’ve done three trips in the past year to Disney/UOR, and each time had to wear masks (the first two, we had to wear them 100% of the time, and the last, when we were indoors/in line). Honestly, it was not a big deal. Even last August, when we were there in RECORD SETTING heat. We were hot…because it was HOT out, not because of masks.

With masks only being inside or in line, it is still easy enough. We’ve all been wearing masks for the past year and a half.

But other than that, things are almost as close to normal as you can get at Disney, with no more social distancing, things closed down, fireworks returning, etc. All the things that people missed are there. Just…you have to mask up when inside. No biggie.

But the fact is, the Delta variant is no joke. My wife was just telling me about a stat that said the previous versions of COVID, an infected person was spreading it to an average of 2-3 people. With Delta, an infected person is spreading it to 10! It is that much more contagious. And while being vaccinated offers a great deal of protection, the fact is, NONE of the kids going to Disney even CAN be vaccinated. So the mask wearing seems prudent. My parents just had a life-long friend of their pass away from COVID a few days ago. He was elderly, sure. But he had been fully vaccinated…and yet COVID still killed him.

It is disheartening that we were making good progress against COVID, but it is all being undone now due to Delta. So, good for Disney for mandating masks again. And to those with upcoming trips? Enjoy Disney. It is fun, with or without masks!

32 Likes

We will be in Disney in just three days and I have to be honest, I was feeling a little bummed about masks in ride pictures which, I know, is purely selfish. Thanks for putting this back into perspective for me. We will be IN DISNEY for the first time in over two years in just three days!!! :grinning:

12 Likes

It’s prohibited for them to do so by Florida law

3 Likes

I agree with you. If it were mandated outdoors, I would not be happy (no matter what anyone else says, masks make the heat intolerable for me). Indoors, meh, Doesn’t bother me. But neither am I relieved or ecstatic. My trip is in 4 long months. A lot may change in that time.

I do feel bad for those currently there. And I hope Disney doesn’t try to take advantage with their overpriced masks. But that may be too much to ask for.

3 Likes

I’m pessimistic on this. This is ramping up in the peak of summer and school hasn’t even returned. Shoot, there are still a plurality not back in “at office” work situations. We missed our chance to get out in front of this. Our trip isn’t until April and the wife and I agreed to start looking for a new destination in anticipation of strict mandates still being in place.

The Southeast is a hot mess and Disney becomes the melting pot.

3 Likes

Unfortunately but aren’t other corporations (cruise lines and others?) challenging this in court right now?

If they win, it opens the door.

1 Like

Sure but with any luck we will beat this stupid pandemic before those cases make their way through the court system which moves at a glacial pace on a good day.

1 Like

April is a long time from now, especially with Covid. It looks as if the Delta wave is or will be hitting the entire country at some point. I wouldn’t be too pessimistic this early. My trip is in 4 months and we are still full steam ahead. Who knows what may happen.

1 Like

One of the cruise lines was challenging the FL law so that they could follow CDC guidelines and start sailing again. They won initially but were challenged and lost. Cruises are going out of Cape Canaveral this week. I’m not following it too closely b/c I don’t like cruising but I know there has been a lot of back and forth there.

2 Likes