Marvel Cinematic Universe

You and I are about the same age. I remember when it song came out (the apartments I lived in my final years of high school were just a few blocks over from where NoDoubt lived/did live garage shows).

To me, IJAG was very, very empowering ballad in the exact sarcastic way I lived my angsty teen years. It actually taught me to be ticked off at the stereotypical way we were being viewed while also embracing a very powerful awareness of who I was as a woman. A tractor driving, cowboy boot wearing, sledge hammer-wielding badass who was tired of living life the way others expected me to. Man, just typing that out got me all excited!!

Anyway, that being said, CM was my least favorite of all the movies for exactly the reason that @qwerty6’s daughter gave. It was too much. I actually loved everything else about the movie. The entire storyline. But I just felt the message was too much for me personally. Meanwhile, I am OBSESSED with BW and I’m kinda really upset that we aren’t going to see more of her. Like I wanted her own back story movie the second I first saw her in Ironman 2 or wherever.

I just saw Gwen a couple of years ago, right before the first reports of Covid. I stood for the entire concert and probably screamed loudest for everything she played from Tragic Kingdom, including IJAG.

[The first single released from Tragic Kingdom was “Just a Girl”, which details Gwen Stefani’s exasperation with female stereotypes and her father’s concerned reaction to her driving home late from her boyfriend’s house.](Tragic Kingdom - Wikipedia)

8 Likes

Me too!

3 Likes

Now that I jumped all of the Girl Power thing…I’d like to put in for the Nat/Clint thing as well!

I liken it to two guys who fought in a war together. Like in the trenches, nasty shit.

The bond they share and carry back home surpasses most. Even some marriages. I liken their relationship to that.

9 Likes

I haven’t had a chance to respond to this I thin you are about 15?20 years older than I and I can see what you are saying about CM and your backstory. :heart:

3 Likes

Hawkeye is my absolute favorite. I love me some Clint and can’t wait for the Disney+ show next week. And if you haven’t seen my boy sing about Hawkeye, enjoy: Hawkeye Sings About His Super Powers Ed Sheeran Thinking Out Loud Parody cut - YouTube

4 Likes

Me too! To be honest I was ready to dislike it from the beginning and the space scenes, but as soon as she hit earth, it started to work. I really liked Brie Larson here, I had zero expectations going in as I don’t think I’ve ever seen her in anything, that I can remember at least. But she was great, badass, funny.

2 Likes

Carol Danvers character was likely born mid 1960s. Her growing up would have been a little less gender specific than mine. In the Navy in the early 70s, I rarely had any one being as rude as the AF guys in Carol’s bits of memory. I’m quite sure the Navy guys didn’t think I belonged either but only a few wanted to make an issue of it. But then pilots seem to have more ego, if the movies are to be believed.
DH is in a fb group for old submarine sailors. They’re all being supportive of the woman submarine sailor/astronaut Kayla Barron and that’s gratifying.

4 Likes

This is so true. I think their bond is that they have both done terrible things, they both know they are capable of doing terrible things. But they want to be their better selves, but the other lurks in the shadows. Kind of like the Hulk which is why I really love his story in Ragnarok.

5 Likes

And that “for one” is why they are likely making some serious changes with the role in BP2 due to Wright who has been publicly and vocally anti-vax. That kind of character love and people who have difficulty separating the actor from the role… - plus just the responsibility of being the actor playing the role. Just look at how Tom Holland has talked about the responsibility he feels even as himself because of playing Spider Man.

I’m guessing you’re right based on Beverly Bass - the first female captain of an American Airlines plane. She faced not only MAJOR sexism from the male (mostly retired military) pilots but also a lot of resentment from female flight attendants when she started with AA.

3 Likes

Letitia Wright is a hero to me on and off screen. Let’s not get political please. It’s been a fun thread.

1 Like

I’m not getting political.

TPTB are the ones who are making the changes. Not me. I’m just reporting what is going on.

3 Likes

I was under the impression that BP2 is delayed because of a stunt accident involving Letitia Wright. They talked about it on the Jim Hill podcast. I think there are even articles about it on the inter-webs.

2 Likes

Yes filming will be delayed til early 2022 because of that, but there could be further delays due to the vaccination issue mentioned above. This wouldn’t be the first movie production to halt due to a vaccination standoff. I’ve read they are filming other parts right now but at some point they would need Wright back obviously to avoid much bigger delays.

3 Likes

Endgame:

Thanos: I am Inevitable
Stark: And I… Am… Ironman. (Snap)

So. Freaking. Good.

Such a full-circle moment, and to think it wasn’t in the original script but came later when they felt that scene was lacking a little something.

7 Likes

I have experienced this as well - from female coworkers who had traditional jobs.
Surprised me. Both the resentment and that it’s ok to show it.

4 Likes

Chills. Chills then sobbing. Because I knew he was going to die.

6 Likes

Just pointing out, since Antman gets little love here, that without Antman, we’d have no Endgame?

I know - the Pym particle. But, Antman came back from the quantum realm.

twice

Antman saves the day. :sunglasses::heart_eyes::rofl::wink:

7 Likes

Yep. Indeed that’s true.

4 Likes

Hmmm I must’ve missed the post-credit scene with her de-lousing it

2 Likes

Apparently it may come down to more than just her statements. She is recovering in London and if she remains unvaccinated, she does not meet the US requirements for someone unvaxxed to come into the country. So it may delay things unless and until the policy changes if she keeps her decisions as they are.

4 Likes