Marvel Cinematic Universe

Those were fun! Frozen II was my favorite I think.

4 Likes

I say cinematic release order. That’s how we have watched them and it worked fine for us. We actually were talking about a rewatch. There are just so many that it is easy to forget bits and pieces here and there. Will this be a family event or another surprise?

3 Likes

Not a surprise but neither a family watch. I’ll watch but I won’t hide it from anyone :wink:

6 Likes

I had never seen any of them and am currently watching. I started with timeline order (I did that order with Star Wars). I quickly got annoyed with it because there was too much it assumed you knew from previously-released movies. I switched to release order; the jumping around in time isn’t /too/ bad.

5 Likes

I wanted to see Infinity War and Endgame, after having watched the first two Avengers. My husband talked me into a marathon, beginning to end, cinematic release order. I enjoyed it, all of it, so much more than I expected. We did it again in chron order last winter break, like 3 movies per day. Regardless of which order you pick, I hope you’re surprised and delighted (ok, maybe that’s dramatic) but that you have great fun watching!

5 Likes

Thank you EVERYONE for your input into how to approach this watchfest :smiley: I am not why I am surprised, but I am definitely surprised at how passionate people are about this franchise too. I hope you’ll stick around for my journey. It will not be nearly as epic as my SW journey, as something like that can only really, truly be done once. But I expect it will be fun and I will seek your input on things as I go along.

I have decided will view in cinematic release order. Did you know that Disney+ offers you both viewing pathways which is how this question came up in the first place?

May start tonight, unless there’s a Star Wars movie on :wink:

Sad to hear that Spidey (at least the movies that I do know and like) are not part of this, but I’ll survive.

Looking forward to joining another fandom!

10 Likes

For your first time through, I would suggest cinematic release order. Do not just go by the Disney+ suggested order, they are missing some of the movies they do not have the rights to.

How expansive do you want to be? Movies only? Sprinkle in the TV shows?

Release Order -

1. Iron Man (May 2008)
  2. The Incredible Hulk (June 2008)
  3. Iron Man 2 (April 2010)
  4. Thor (April 2011)
  5. Captain America: The First Avenger (July 2011)
  6. The Consultant one-shot on the Thor DVD (September 2011)
  7. A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Thor’s Hammer one-shot on the Captain America: The First Avenger DVD (October 2011)
  8. The Avengers (aka Avengers Assemble) (April 2012)
  9. Item 47 one-shot on the Avengers Assemble DVD (September 2012)
  10. Iron Man 3 (April 2013)
  11. Agent Carter one-shot on Iron Man 3 DVD (September 2013)
  12. Agents of SHIELD season 1 (September 2013 - May 2014)
  13. Thor: The Dark World (November 2013)
  14. All Hail the King one-shot on the Thor: The Dark World DVD (February 2014)
  15. Captain America: The Winter Soldier (March 2014)
  16. Guardians of the Galaxy (July 2014)
  17. Agents of SHIELD season 2 (September 2014 - May 2015)
  18. Agent Carter season 1 (January 2015 - February 2015)
  19. Daredevil season 1 (April 2015)
  20. Avengers: Age of Ultron (April 2015)
  21. Ant-Man (July 2015)
  22. Agents of SHIELD season 3 (September 2015 - May 2016)
  23. Jessica Jones season 1 (November 2015)
  24. Agent Carter season 2 (January 2016 - February 2016)
  25. Daredevil season 2 (March 2016)
  26. Captain America: Civil War (April 2016)
  27. Agents of SHIELD season 4 (September 2016 - May 2017)
  28. Luke Cage season 1 (September 2016)
  29. Doctor Strange (October 2016)
  30. Iron Fist season 1 (March 2017)
  31. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (April 2017)
  32. Spider-Man: Homecoming (July 2017)
  33. The Defenders season 1 (August 2017)
  34. Inhumans season 1 (September 2017 - November 2017)
  35. Thor: Ragnarok (October 2017)
  36. The Punisher season 1 (November 2017)
  37. Runaways season 1 (November 2017 - January 2018)
  38. Agents of SHIELD season 5 (December 2017 - May 2018)
  39. Black Panther (February 2018)
  40. Jessica Jones season 2 (March 2018)
  41. Avengers: Infinity War (April 2018)
  42. Cloak & Dagger season 1 (June 2018 - August 2018)
  43. Luke Cage season 2 (June 2018)
  44. Ant-Man and the Wasp (July 2018)
  45. Iron Fist season 2 (September 2018)
  46. Daredevil season 3 (October 2018)
  47. Runaways season 2 (December 2018)
  48. The Punisher season 2 (January 2019)
  49. Captain Marvel (March 2019)
  50. Cloak & Dagger season 2 (April 2019 - May 2019)
  51. Avengers: Endgame (April 2019)
  52. Agents of SHIELD season 6 (May 2019 - )
  53. Jessica Jones season 3 (June 2019)
  54. Spider-Man: Far From Home (July 2, 2019)
  55. WandaVision
  56. The Falcon and the Winter Soldier
  57. Loki
  58. Black Widow

The second time through I would suggest chronological order. It is interesting to pick up the hints and threads from other movies that just happened.

1. Captain America: The First Avenger
  2. Agent Carter (season 1)
  3. Agent Carter (season 2)
  4. Agent Carter (one-shot on Iron Man 3 DVD)
  5. Captain Marvel
  6. Iron Man
  7. Iron Man 2
  8. The Incredible Hulk
  9. The Consultant (one-shot on the Thor DVD)
  10. A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Thor’s Hammer (one-shot on the Captain America: The First Avenger DVD)
  11. Thor
  12. The Avengers (aka Avengers Assemble in some regions)
  13. Item 47 (one-shot on the Avengers Assemble DVD)
  14. Iron Man 3
  15. All Hail the King (one-shot on the Thor: The Dark World DVD)
  16. Agents of SHIELD (season 1, eps 1-7)
  17. Thor: The Dark World
  18. Agents of SHIELD (season 1, eps 8-16)
  19. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
  20. Agents of SHIELD (season 1, eps 17-22)
  21. Guardians of the Galaxy
  22. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2
  23. Daredevil (season 1)
  24. Agents of SHIELD (season 2, eps 1-10)
  25. Jessica Jones (season 1)
  26. Agents of SHIELD (season 2, eps 11-19)
  27. Avengers: Age of Ultron
  28. Agents of SHIELD (season 2, eps 20-22)
  29. Daredevil (season 2, eps 1-4)
  30. Luke Cage (season 1, eps 1-4)
  31. Daredevil (season 2, eps 5-11)
  32. Luke Cage (season 1, eps 5-8)
  33. Daredevil (season 2, eps 12-13)
  34. Luke Cage (season 1, eps 9-13)
  35. Ant-Man
  36. Agents of SHIELD (season 3, eps 1-10)
  37. Agents of SHIELD (season 3, eps 11-19)
  38. Iron Fist (season 1)
  39. Captain America: Civil War
  40. Black Widow (watch credits scene after Avengers: Endgame)
  41. Agents of SHIELD (season 3, eps 20-22)
  42. The Defenders (season 1)
  43. Agents of SHIELD (season 4, eps 1-6)
  44. Doctor Strange
  45. Black Panther
  46. Agents of SHIELD (season 4, eps 7-8)
  47. Agents of SHIELD: Slingshot (season 1, eps 1-6)
  48. Agents of SHIELD (season 4, eps 9-22)
  49. Spider-Man: Homecoming
  50. Thor: Ragnarok
  51. Inhumans (season 1)
  52. The Punisher (season 1)
  53. Runaways (season 1)
  54. Agents of SHIELD (season 5, eps 1-10) – allowing for time travel craziness
  55. Jessica Jones (season 2)
  56. Agents of SHIELD (season 5, eps 11-18)
  57. Cloak & Dagger (season 1)
  58. Cloak & Dagger (season 2)
  59. Luke Cage (season 2)
  60. Iron Fist (season 2)
  61. Daredevil (season 3)
  62. Runaways (season 2)
  63. The Punisher (season 2)
  64. Jessica Jones (season 3)
  65. Ant-Man and the Wasp (watch credits scene after Infinity War)
  66. Avengers: Infinity War
  67. Agents of SHIELD (season 5, eps 19-22) – Concurrent with Infinity War
  68. Agents of SHIELD (season 6) – takes place in Endgame’s five-year time jump
  69. Agents of SHIELD (season 7) – takes place in Endgame’s five-year time jump
  70. Runaways (season 3) – seems to mostly take place post-Snap, but with no references to it
  71. Avengers: Endgame
  72. Loki (allowing for timey-wimey, alternate timeline weirdness)
  73. WandaVision
  74. The Falcon and the Winter Soldier
  75. Spider-Man: Far From Home

When you become super obsessed, you could try watching them broken up scene by scene in chronological order. :crazy_face: MCU Chronological Viewing Order: Official Scene by Scene Guide!

My top two:
Captain America: The Winter Soldier and Thor: Ragnarok. Both GotG movies are also high on my list.

8 Likes

58 things?

I’m gonna stick with just the movies for right now :laughing: Less than 100 days to DLR!

6 Likes

It is a large commitment! But I trust you could bang it out in a weekend :rofl:

2 Likes

Haha.

See also: marathon training

3 Likes

Not enough hours in the day…I see all the movies up to Spider-man far from home is 49 hours and 56 minutes!!!

3 Likes

UGH I forgot about all the series!!! I’m never going to catch up on all of it. :joy:

2 Likes

Right, and exactly why I say release order. If you watched Star Wars in release order then the whole big reveal episode V - Empire Strikes back is ruined. I think what time they took place isn’t important in watching them. It’s how the rest of us who watched them in real time watched them and it was intended to be watched that matters. Now I can 100% see watching them a second time in chronological order once you know all the reveals how they were intended

5 Likes

You’re wrong! Ant-man is 100% in the top two. I laughed harder in that one than any of the others and I have a huge crush on Paul Rudd since Clueless which ages me I know.

But Ragnarok is also great. I like the ones where they poke fun at themselves. I find the Captain America ones the most serious and Civil War is in my bottom two.

And now that Disney owns Sony do Deadpool and X-men count because Deadpool is probably my favorite. :wink:

6 Likes

@OBNurseNH, Oh my. The Netflix Marvel shows are way over the top violent, and unless you really like that type of thing, I would definitely skip those for sure (Punisher, Jessica Jones, Iron Fist, Daredevil, Luke Cage). Agents of SHIELD is better, but you can safely miss those as well. Don’t miss the One-Shots. While they aren’t integral, they are fun, and very short.

Definitely watch the Disney+ series, though (Wanda Vision, Falcon and Winter Soldier, Loki), because they fill in details you won’t want to miss between End Game and the movies that are releasing in the future. They are short series, and WandaVision and Loki are great fun.

6 Likes

Everything you said. Except I did like the first season of Jessica Jones which I only because of the love story I could handle it. The others were way too violent for me. I tried to watch them with hubby and I couldn’t stomach it.

4 Likes

I was so creeped out and traumatized from the first episode of Jessica Jones that I stopped watching. I have people in my life suffering from C-PTSD, so I think it hit home too much. I’m not into creepy. I really wanted to like it because I love David Tennant.

5 Likes

This second route was the one I did, up until Luke Cage/Jessica whatever, then I went back to just the movies!

3 Likes

I recently started watching them, having only seen Ironman and Cap America before. I’ve started with release order and I think this is the best.

I did some reading on which you absolutely have to see and which ones you can skip, as I barely have time to watch one every few weeks. Honestly, having watched some recaps of the ones I skipped, I’m happy I did. Some of these movies just aren’t for me. This was a pretty good take on it: The MARVEL MOVIES: What to Watch — and What to Skip | 13th Dimension, Comics, Creators, Culture

Obviously, there are as many opinions as there are people…

fwiw: Didn’t care for Thor and Hulk at all. Loved Ironman and Captain America, as well as Winter Soldier. Very mixed feelings about 1st Avengers. I’ve only seen phase 1-2 + Cap America so far.

2 Likes

I’m totally the opposite. Love Thor but didn’t care much for Iron Man, except maybe the 1st one. Shouldn’t be a surprise since I’m such a Loki fan.

2 Likes