Magical express ending 1 Jan 2022

If only it could be like Hogwarts Express and be a cool ride with screens that gives you an awe-inspiring entrance into WDW, but we all know they won’t spend money on that.

11 Likes

I can’t say I’ve ever been on a DME that wasn’t almost full

6 Likes

We’ve got a light rail expansion in construction right now, and the timelines are …not short…

2 Likes

This is so odd! It was one of my favorite things, not having to haul luggage around. The release mentions “guest preferences” but I don’t know if I believe it.

1 Like

Shhhhh they might take free parking away from AP holders :grimacing:

1 Like

It’s hard to imagine anything they can put in place that would be equal to or better than the free buses. (And for the record, I wouldn’t mind paying for MDE if that needed to be the resolution.)
The train will be a hassle.
I try not to take Uber/Lyft when possible, to avoid the awkward conversation with the driver you’ve never met and can’t really hear over the sounds of the road. This would probably have to be the main option though without DME.

What I would LOVE, is the use of autonomous vehicles from MCO to your hotel. But that sure isn’t gonna happen by 2022 :wink:

3 Likes

I am looking at said light rail expansion out of my office window everyday … If you’re talking about the one coming south from SeaTac.

Driving on I-4 is terrifying to this out of town driver!!! In fact, I have an application in to UCF and while I really like their research and teaching opportunities, I am a little scared that if I do get the position I will have to drive on I-4 daily. :rofl::frowning_face:

2 Likes

I hear ya! We drove from NJ in 2019 and the I-4 is awful. And we’re used to city driving!

2 Likes

Tom Bricker posted a theory that it may have more to do with the deterioration of the relationship between Mears and Disney than as a cost-cutting measure. Which is the only thing that makes sense. Because otherwise there is very, very little left as an incentive to stay in an overpriced room on site.

Renting a car is a nonstarter for me, as I hate driving in cities and unfamiliar highways stress me out. Uber/Lyft is a reasonable alternative, but if I’m paying for transportation anyway, looking at an off-site hotel that’s half the price for twice as nice a room is looking better and better.

What I will really miss though is Resort Airline Check In. I loooved that.

17 Likes

Well my 2018 “once in a lifetime” trip may end up just being that. We have an April trip planned which won’t happen with all the restrictions in my state and kid’s schools. I was going to plan a 2022 trip with maybe just the kids but I don’t know. Maybe I will…I will have to stay tuned.

2 Likes

We showed up to MK 40 minutes before official opening and were let inside and rides were running; DHS we showed up an hour early and were let in 45 minutes before the park officially opened- while the ride we got in line for wasn’t running for a little while, other people in the park said that other rides were. I was thinking they would end this practice and only allow resort guests in if it is true about EMH

2 Likes

I agree with this more than anything. Fits with them moving the Mears bus drop off location at Swolphin. It’s almost petty.

3 Likes

I’ve had bad luck with DME taking us on a grand tour of multiple resorts every time we use it, so I wasn’t that enthused about using it next time either.

Another reason to seriously consider moving off site next time!

1 Like

People have always been refused as “not allowed, unsafe”.

1 Like

I agree DME is a cost-cutting measure.

But not the EMH cancellation. They still have to pay the CMs at all 4 parks for an extra 30 minutes, instead of one park for an hour. Isn’t that actually twice the cost?

3 Likes

I was under the impression that DME rarely left MCO without a full load of guests and you ran the risk of getting a three hour tour of WDW hotels.

1 Like

Here’s where I see this ending up for me: flying into Tampa because ultimately it’s usually cheaper. Renting a car. Likely staying offsite (depending on prices)
So it’s a losing situation for Disney because my money will be going elsewhere, and a little bit more of a hassle for me.

But if Disney is all about the $ right now, than so am I :joy:

11 Likes

huh. i really liked dme. yes, it may have taken a little longer than other transportation options, but it was my first step into the bubble—and i looked forward to it. it’s one of the offerings that made some planning for wdw easy. though i’ve not yet taken one, i’ve considered a solo trip and dme was a valuable convenience as i’d know my route and with whom to and from my resort.

5 Likes

I’ve been on dme many times with just a few ppl.

2 Likes