Magical express ending 1 Jan 2022

Are you talking about internal buses? Why not? They allow strollers, wheelchairs etc.?

Wow everything we loved about our 2018 trip is going away. Really disappointing. With little kids ease of a vacation was so crucial. Itā€™s why we loved our trip. Abd at the hotel rates, wow I hope they come back with some more perksā€¦

2 Likes

I think this makes Swolphin an even better option now.

7 Likes

They have never allowed luggage on internal buses.

1 Like

Maybe they will have a separate bus system to go from the train station at DS to the hotels? (trying to think of something positive) But, Iā€™m sure the train from MCO to DS will not be freeā€¦

2 Likes

Letā€™s put more out of town drivers here. :crazy_face:

Nov 15, 2017 ā€” TAMPA, Fla. ā€“ I-4 has been named the most dangerous highway in America by GPS tracking company, Teletrac Navman.

1 Like

What if you buy a piece of luggage in the park!? :worried::face_with_raised_eyebrow::flushed::grimacing::open_mouth:

1 Like

Why? Do they have an airport shuttle?

Seems like they would have to start if that becomes the substitute system (train to DS, then internal transportation to hotel). What a nightmare for families with small kids - strollers, maybe car seats for plane, plus luggage to all wrestle.

6 Likes

Not to mention safety hazard if it all goes flying and hurts someone. I doubt that is going to change.

No, just looking at it from the perspective that ME was one of the main things you couldnā€™t get with Swolphin, and if no one gets it anymore, then itā€™s no longer a relative disadvantage for Swolphin, so end result is thereā€™s less bad to cancel out the good of the price and location.

6 Likes

I get it. Disney wants to stop having guests stay on site. :wink:

14 Likes

The why is simple - money. Disney is doing everything they can to cut any cost that they can. DME was not a cheap service to offer. Cancel EMH, and thatā€™s a bunch of employee hours you donā€™t have to pay (ditto restaurants and stores and live entertainment).

2 Likes

I am heart-broken to hear this! I LOVE DME! I am so glad DH got to experience it for the first time a year ago before this stupid pandemic hit. It really is/was a magical experience.

I HOPE there will be a better solution then just the new train that is coming. Itā€™s not like the train can run all the time, so some people will have to wait for the train for quite a while I imagine. And if it only brings people to DS, then itā€™s still a hassle to get to your hotel. May as well just pay for Lyft/Uber.
And yes, the luggage transfer was soo awesome! Plus I just loved the feeling of being on those buses, knowing my vacation had already begun.

6 Likes

Yesā€¦

5 Likes

This really takes away the incentive of staying onsite. I really donā€™t quite understand this from a marketing perspectiveā€¦ considering so far all Iā€™ve heard is that people will just choose to stay offsite from now on. Assuming theyā€™re not going to drop room prices (I always assumed they were a little pricier to include DME), what is really the advantage now to stay onsite?
Especially for those of us who have AP. Now, for example, Iā€™ll just stay offsite, rent a car and drive to the parks where parking for me is free.
Unless they have some grand scheme with this new train that makes it super convenient (and included in the cost of staying onsite) I see no real upside to this.

3 Likes

Secondingā€¦

1 Like

I wonder with the increased use of rideshare services like Lyft and Uber, has WDW seen a decrease in the use of the DME?

1 Like

I think this is a hugely important piece too. Not a single shovel has been put in the ground and my understanding is that there are still a bunch of approvals/agreements required. I cannot fathom a reality in which this is up and running in under a year.

1 Like

Unless the timeline has changed, the train cannot be the replacementā€¦

So perhaps they are simply planning on making people use a paid option.

3 Likes