Magical express ending 1 Jan 2022

So it’s all official. And the 30 min to every park:
A Look Ahead at Walt Disney World Resort | Disney Parks Blog (go.com)
and that’s in essence what they are doing now (though it’s really more than 30 min and it’s for all guests not just hotel ones)
If it’s going to be all parks 30 min early does this mean no more paid early morning hours? Maybe they’ll keep doing the evening paid extra nights?

2 Likes

We always joked at MCO that DME was our first Disney park “line”

When I think back to 1995, we got off the plane, took the Mears shuttle (there was no DME at the time) and it all went as smoothly as using DME did this past December. Actually, it was nicer because it was a smaller shuttle and I don’t recall having to tour so many resorts before we were dropped off.

I think Disney is just cutting costs by making guests go back to paying for this service as they used to do. But it does whittle away at on site benefits, so I am anxiously waiting to see what Disney intends to do to attract guests back on site going forward.

1 Like

Also the last time we took DME was 2012/2013 New Year’s trip. Lately we’ve been driving, renting a car or taking a car service. We haven’t actually used Uber/Lyft but limosine (but not in the actual limosines just a big SUV because we’ve been a big party that it was cheaper to do that than two Ubers)

Isn’t the only thing left Fastpasses? Or something new in the works?

1 Like

that’s a good way to put it! i’d get my magic band on while the plane was rolling up to the gate so i’d be ready.

2 Likes

FastPasses? What are FastPasses? :wink:

4 Likes

I put them on when we leave the house in the morning for the airport! even without DME. Just in the mode.

2 Likes

That’s awesome!
A train to the least interesting Disney destination!

perfect

3 Likes

I also remember trips before DME, however in our case we hired a towncar service. It was faster, and in some ways more convenient, bc towncar drivers generally meet you at luggage claim and help with luggage.
But it was pricey.
I didn’t mind losing some time to get there for no added cost and especially the luggage service.
This last trip without the luggage service was a PITA, but still doable. The WC accessible ME buses made up somewhat for the loss of luggage service, since this was the first trip with that as a factor.
But Im at a loss for trips going forward.
I don’t want to drive in Orlando, so car rental is out.
Accessible taxis are a pain. Ugh.

Mears and the ride share services have to be thrilled at this.

And I was getting all keyed up to take this DME… oh well, back to taking a taxi.

1 Like

Nope, southwest leg out of Minneapolis!

I’ve never used DME because I’ve always needed a rental car. In theory, I wouldn’t care if I thought the savings would go to me since I’ve been subsidizing everyone else’s DME ride (which is probably a hugely expensive operation). But we all know Disney will not be lowering room rates as a result of this.

I bet they would like to cancel the whole thing ASAP but they probably have a termination fee if they cancel before the end of a contract term. Right now they’re probably losing more money on it than they’re getting in additional onsite guests. But by next year, they will wish they hadn’t terminated the contract. They need the incentive for people to stay on site. Unless they have something planned to get people from DS to their resorts, the train is no replacement.

4 Likes

Ha ha! Why did I think you were in Washington? Oh well. We have a very slow moving light rail system here as well.

Hey at least we’ve still got the Minnie Vans

Right?
Wait what?

6 Likes

Mears is probably losing a huge, stable source of revenue. Big risk for them to allow this contract to go.

1 Like

Sorry I didn’t know Mears was involved in the DME.
I just know them as the taxi company running out of MCO.

1 Like

I wouldn’t mind a bigger advantage for ADR’s for on-site guests and differentiated based on resort level even. Deluxe-60+length of stay, Mod-45+length of stay, Value-30+length of stay, off-site-30 one day at a time.

Also, mixed feelings on FP+, but give 3/day/person for Deluxe, 2 for Mod, 1 for Value, and a very limited selection of same-day to be only for off-site guests, 1/day/person.

I think they need to justify not only cost of on-site vs off-site, but among the three on-site classes better as well with their large price differences.

1 Like

Not to mention the almost two-year gap before the train would be ready.

Once the train is running, they could provide an on-site transportation of luggage similar to what they do now for resort split-stays…so that probably isn’t a huge deal. And with buses running to each of the resorts from DS already, that isn’t a problem either, really.

But what will they do from January 2021 to end of 2022? Probably just make people figure it out on their own! After all, they probably assume with the 50th, the 40th, and back-log due to COVID, they won’t be hurting to fill the rooms, regardless.

2 Likes

OK deep breath so now the magic starts after I step out of the taxi.

5 Likes