Magic band+

sadly, the site does not show the other side either.

ugh, thought we were past this “show only part of the thing” with MB+ launching.

And MB+ has some new designs too (though you can’t see anything more than these screenshots apparently?

3 Likes

Oh, this is frustrating. All the old OG still have their 360 view options available…just not these new additions. I told myself I did not need another MB+…but here we are with two new Tower of Terror options!

5 Likes

the site used to spin to show the other side too :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

3 Likes

agree that TOT band is very cool looking (y’know…from what i can tell) but I’m already running into the “you don’t need another MB” issue.

and I want the DVC one just because I’m DVC. I’M SPECIAL, DANG IT! MY MOMMY SAID SO!!

also, can someone explain why the Cruise one is more expensive by a significant margin? Are cruise people known for spending more cash “just because”?

6 Likes

Maybe it’s a limited edition ‘inaugural year’ band or something?

4 Likes

Even more nonsense - the Disney Wish doesn’t even USE magicbands - all of DCL is on the old keycard ‘Keys to the World’ system.

2 Likes

I was going to ask about that!

Yet. I’ve seen mention (rumor) that DCL has a MB+ launch in the works.

3 Likes

I would love that! Especially if it can happen before my Feb departure. Knowing the speed of Disney Tech, I suspect that it will likely go live around Feb 2024 though :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Looking closer at the Fantasyland MB, does it show the (now gone) Skyway and the lagoon from 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea?

Aaaand now I’m watching this: The Magic Kingdom - Park Maps Through the Years 1971-2020 | A History of Walt Disney World - YouTube

…because my memories of 20000 leagues is so vague at this point.

2 Likes

Such a great ride
And a fantastic movie
It was the first thing I watched on D+

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure the first time I was in Disney was June of 1984. We flew down to buy a salt-free car and drive it back. I’ll never forget, it was Donald Duck’s 50th birthday.

I didn’t make it back to Disney until 1993/1994. 20,000 Leagues either just closed for a refurb or I somehow missed it? I remember walking by it. I knew of it. I can’t recall if I experienced it. And I didn’t make it back until NYE 1996, so I think it was gone for good by then.

1 Like

I did however, get to experience Alien Encounter, and enjoyed it, for what that’s worth.

5 Likes

A what?

that was a scary mo fo attraction

1 Like

Per Wikipedia, it closed Sept 5, 1994 without advance notice, for what was maybe supposed to be a refurb. However, it ended up being permanently closed April 1996 without ever reopening.

We had the good fortune of riding it on a few trips, including some with our sons when they were young. It was fun, but hot, cramped, and very slow to load.

You know, one of those cars un-touched by road salt (but with a nicely sun-baked interior, instead).

2 Likes

On one of our band trips a friend of mine had a massive panic attack when we did Alien Encounter (which I loved) just before close, and I was elected to be the one to make the mad dash to tell the band director so she and the 2 who stayed with her wouldn’t get in trouble for being late.

I sprinted all the way to the ferry dock (where we were supposed to check in) and got there just in time to see it leaving. I still think of that sprint every time I walk through Tomorrowland Terrace.

5 Likes

I went for the first time at Christmas of 1993 and I have no recollection of that ride. None whatsoever.

3 Likes