Longing for warmth

Okay, how many of you have gone out and thrown a cup of water in the air to see if it freezes before it hits the ground? It never works for me but I don’t think I’m doing it right.

This gal knows how to do it: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6628835/Barista-throws-coffee-air-Michigan-hit-freezing-brutal-7F.html#v-3370243671684694529

The slow-motion part is actually quite beautiful.

1 Like

Cold but not terrible here on Long Island right now: 28 degrees F with a wind chill of 17.
Tonight going down to 5 with a chill of -10 F and staying in that neighborhood until Friday.

We’re at -3 but feels like -25. School was closed so my girls were happy. We’ve been watch youtube videos of BWI so we can get even more excited for July.

2 Likes

I am going to fill balloons with colored water this evening and put them out on the front step. Then you peel off the balloon and have a pretty frozen colored ice ball.

4 Likes

I don’t mean this to sound rude…but…why?

I mean, can’t you do the same thing in your freezer? And what do you do with the “pretty frozen colored ice ball” after you’re done?

Inquiring minds want to know!

They are pretty.
My kids think it’s cool.
It only works in the winter so it’s a “thing.”

1 Like

So, do you like set them out on our porch kind of like a winterized version of a hanging plant or something?

We sit them in a line in rainbow order.
Check on them and see if they are melting.
I’ll post a picture.
We haven’t done in a few years.

1 Like

Ah. Okay. I can imagine that.

In our case, they would last until Sunday. Our temps head back up after tomorrow, and will be a high of 44 and rainy on Sunday!

1 Like

Right now it’s -19F, but feels like -37F. Another day off tomorrow because school is closed for the 3rd day in a row.

It’s 55 degrees in Texas! :smiley:

However, it will be over 100 for like a month in July / August, or as I like to think of it, training weather for my next Disney trip. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Looks like we won’t be getting much snow. It hasn’t started yet and should be done by 10PM. I’m fine with that!!!
Otherwise still crazy cold.

1 Like

I am sure you all have heard or seen the movie FARGO. Though the movie was not made in Fargo the temp here last night was -37 F. With wind chill it was -67 F. As for keeping warm most of us are used to it in the winter but this low is very rare. We also have had quite a bit of snow this winter so that will keep the temps lower than normal. If you look on the forecast map for the US you will see the artic vortex reaching down and covering North Dakota. This is the norm but not usually this cold. Furnaces are made for this weather and with a good insulated home, they don’t seem to have a problem. :robot:

4 Likes

DH has made sure we have several alternative sources of heat- gas, electric and wood. We’re not very cold right now but when we are, sometimes we’re using two or more of those at a time. In a pinch could get by with one.

3 Likes

Someday I’ll share my “Leaving Yellowstone” story.

1 Like

You lucky lot escaping to Disney…
Try Disneyland Paris in January, there’s no escape…
vlcsnap-2019-01-30-23h38m58s251
Oh yeah, that’s a frozen lake right there around BTM! :stuck_out_tongue:
I think one part none of us can quite comprehend until we get to WDW next month is the idea of Disney, in the warm!

5 Likes

As of 6:44pm EST 9 degrees with a windchill of -5

Thanks for suggesting this thread - Canadians LOVE to talk about the weather.

Where I live (Ottawa, Canada) it was - 5 F (or -15 C). We like to make the best of winter weather (skating, skiing, maple syrup).

We’re actually warmer than all the other Ottawas!
Ottawa, Minnesota was -26 F (or -32 C).
Ottawa, Illinois was -20 F(or -29 C).
Ottawa, Ohio was -9 F (or -23 C)
Ottawa, Kansas was 1.4 F (or -17 C)

Weird polar vortex thing to blame probably… I think I heard it broke into pieces…

2 Likes

I thought about it but half my Facebook friends have posted videos of themselves doing it, so I kind of feel like I got the experience.

1 Like

It was about 40 F today now it’s 15 F wind chill around 0 F.