Longing for warmth

-23, feels like -42 here right now. But I’m hanging in there because next week I’ll be at Disney World!

2 Likes

6 degrees F and wind chill -6. And temps dropping. Our schools are closed so kids don’t have to wait out for the busses. 50 days until spring (and our Disney trip)!

If only the weather would obey the seasons. We often have snow and sub-freezing temperatures in April, and we had snow in November this year when it was still AUTUMN.

I think we should make a petition and give it to Mother Nature. Snow and sub-freezing temperatures are not allowed until the first day of Winter, and must come to an end on the first day of Spring.

2 Likes

Absolutely! I leave for Disney on the day after spring equinox and I expect no shenanigans from Mother Nature in FL, so please add that to the petition.

Started my day at -4 temp and -20 wind chill. It’s crept up 2 degrees in about 3 hrs to -1. I guess I should be thankful for that.

I was thinking this too. It actually warmed up here in Maine today. Snow, but warm (30) and the sun is out!

We would not consider 30f to be warm in England!

27F here near Boston… We have a forecasted low of 3F tonight. Nothing like the midwest is going through right now, but still cold.

17 days. 17 days. 17 days until I can escape from the cold and:

4 Likes

Honestly, I’m originally from South Carolina so I DO not consider 30 warm either. I’m on constant complain mode from Mid Nov to May :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wimps, the whole lot of you! (well except @ErinMN but I already know she’s tough).
Call me when it’s actually -30 f without the windchill, then I’ll be impressed!:rofl:

2 Likes

TUESDAY
2/5

66° / 40°

weather icon Mostly Cloudy

and don’t hate me either…if I can make it to next Tuesday

1 Like

BTW, just a little tip in converting F <-> C. For temperatures that are commonplace, where you don’t need an EXACT number, this gives a “good enough” approximation that you can do in your head.

If you’re given a temperature in C, then double it and add 32 to give you an approximation for F.

If you’re given a temperature in F, then subtract 32 and take half.

So, using @missoverexcited’s example of 34 degrees F, this would work out to APPROXIMATELY 1 degree C. If you convert it using the CORRECT method, it comes out to 1.111 degrees.

In my case, the -8 F is approximately -20 C.

Of course, the more extreme temperatures become less accurate. But when someone tells you a temperature using units you aren’t familiar with, it is an easy way to get an idea.

3 Likes

I noticed that immediately!
Celsius would look more like ours…

1 Like

This homeschool mom is computing 9/5th mentally.

-1. Windchill is -20. No school today! My students were so excited yesterday when they announced before the end of the day that school was canceled for today…

Or just live where it’s -42 today and you don’t have to convert!

1 Like

True. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Everyone here is really excited because we’ve had about 2 inches of snow.

1 Like

We were running pretty far behind on our snow but got 4 ft. last week and now everyone is happy! Perspectives are different when one lives in a ski town.

I’m ok with nice deep white snow, I get crabby when everything is just gray and dead.

2 Likes

Where I live now:

Where I lived until a little iver a year ago.

2 Likes