Long Time Lurker Attempts a Trip Report

16 Likes

Went with the grilled cheese and enjoyed it very much!

9 Likes

Ahhh, I have a daughter with the same move every time I try to take a spontaneous pic.

11 Likes

Gideons didn’t work out, they were not doing a VQ tonight and the line was too long to wait in the heat. Had to settle for gelato instead. How early do people start lining up for Gideons in the morning?

7 Likes

The Edison is so visually stunning and the entertainment top notch. Sorry it didn’t work out at Gideon’s. You might have a chance if you’re at DS late night, say after 10.

6 Likes

Popped over to SSR to grab my refillable mug and coffee this morning. I had been debating on wether or not to get it since we are not at a Disney resort this trip and only at Dolphin for 4 days. But I decided to go ahead because I do like the design of the 100th anniversary mug and I like to use them at home. Also, with all of the late mornings where DD will be sleeping in, I’m sure I will still be getting up much earlier than her and will have free time to wander out and go over to BW or YC to get coffee if I want to. Plus, when we walk to Epcot, we will be passing by BW so it will be easy enough to get something from the fill station then (I plan to carry a backpack to the park so easy to throw the mug in there). And mainly, i just wanted to prove that walking to SSR from Buena Vista Palace was doable. I had been looking at Google maps before the trip and it looked like it should be easy enough, but when I searched up the question on DIS boards, all of the answers I found basically said it can’t be done and it’s against the rules (which is the DIS response to every possible hack) and that you have to walk over to the pedestrian bridge, through Disney Springs, and then over the bridge to SSR which would take much longer. I can tell they definitely don’t want you crossing the road in front of BVP because there are signs pointing you to the walkway that goes to the pedestrian bridge, but at 8 am there were barely any cars on the road, so jaywalking was very easy and the main entrance to SSR is right there across the street from BVP parking lot. I did still have to walk a little ways because the resort is a bit down the road after you walk through the gate, but it only took about 10 minutes total. The gate attendant did open his door and ask me where I was headed, but I told him I wanted to go to Artist’s Pallet and he said no problem.

13 Likes

Haven’t stayed here yet, but looks lovely. Actually at one time, I came very close to pulling the trigger on a DVC contract for SSR, but unfortunately DH wasn’t on board so I didn’t go through with it. Still trying to figure out how to convince him we should do it. In his eyes it’s a timeshare and timeshares are bad, even though I’ve shown him the proof of how DVC increases in value, unlike all other timeshares. Stubborn man.

17 Likes

This is my favorite “side effect” of my kids growing up - they want to sleep in, and I am a fairly early riser and enjoy the solo time in the peace and quiet of a just-waking-up resort

pro-tip - bring a facecloth from the room to put inside the mug to catch any drips remaining so your backpack doesn’t get soiled :slight_smile:

7 Likes

This is what I enjoy about traveling with DD. It’s the best of both worlds - traveling with a companion, but also some solo time as well. She is perfectly happy to hang out in the room when we are not at the parks, so I have the opportunity to do other things on my own and it’s often so much easier to manuever when you’re solo.

14 Likes

After getting my second cup of coffee at SSR, I walked over to Disney Springs to see if Gideons was an option. I’m sure there was probably a better route, but I followed google maps directions and it took me through the golf course, through the watermelon lot, and in to the entrance next to Cirque. By the time I got there, it was 9:30, the line was really long, and there was no one at the door taking VQ. So that’s not happening this trip sadly. Another option is maybe we drive over to the other location later in the week when we have a car. I know they let you order ahead at the other location, right?

10 Likes

DD selected Rain Forest cafe for today’s lunch.

14 Likes

He needs a name. Any suggestions?

7 Likes

Woo hoo! Just got room ready text from Dolphin!

10 Likes

13 Likes

Ooh, I like that much better than cramming paper towels in there. Wouldn’t leave the paper towel taste/smell in there.

6 Likes

Snoop Frog

13 Likes

Hi btw, and welcome to the madness…we have tips, tricks and witty banter for days…you’ll love it here.

Thank you for the trip report and have the best time! I’m excited for your dinner at Via Napoli. It’s one of my personal must-do’s.

7 Likes

Jeremiah. (Was a bullfrog)

12 Likes

Have a fabulous trip!! I hope the heat subsides a bit. It was brutal last week. Sorry Gideons has been elusive. Maybe it would be better during the week if you can find a time for it. Enjoy the time with your DD. Mother/daughter time at Disney is a great thing :heart:

7 Likes

Made it to Dolphin. Not bad for a “no view” room!

22 Likes