Legs for Luke: A Dopey Report (LIVE 1/6-1/9/2022)

I’ve been dodging Omicron bullets for weeks now, Matrix-style, but I’m about to board my plane, so Dopey 2022 is happening!

This weekend I’m running the Dopey Challenge (5k, 10k, half, and full marathon) with the St. Jude Heroes team. There are 36 of us and together we have raised over $50,000 for St. Jude! You can join us in the race to end childhood cancer by donating to my fundraiser here: http://heroes.stjude.org/JordanRunner. I’ve personally donated over $2,500 so my running blisters are not the only skin I have in this race.

You can follow along through this live race report below. I plan to post a few pictures at each mile marker (during my walk breaks), but won’t be posting live commentary like I have done previously (Wine and Dine 2019 and Dopey 2020). Life has just been too crazy the last few weeks for me to prepare for that kind of report. So it will just be a photo report. Enjoy!

You can also follow me live on a map (I think) using the RunDisney tracker here: 2022 Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend » RTRT.me

Note: For those of you coming to the Touring Plans forum for the first time, you can create an account here: TouringPlans.com Basic Access. This will allow you to post comments below and receive notifications via email. Keep in mind that your “username” will be public. I’ve chosen this website to host my race reports because the forum software is easy to use on my phone and the community here is phenomenal.

28 Likes

THE BEGINNING… In 2018 I discovered passions for running and fighting Childhood Cancer when my then-2-year-old son became a cancer survivor. The next year I joined the St. Jude Hero team and with them ran the Wine & Dine 2-Course Challenge at Walt Disney World. This is a 10k race followed by a half marathon the next day. It was a life-changing experience. I raised $2500 for St Jude thanks to the generosity of my friends and family and shared a “live photo report” from the races. This sparked my imagination for future fundraisers.

THE YEAR WAS 2020… I had signed up to do the next Wine & Dine with St Jude as well, but because of the COVID pandemic almost all racing events were sort of canceled – they became “virtual” events. I decided to postpone my fundraiser to 2021, but I still ran the “virtual” races for St. Jude locally. To make this more interesting, I filmed it and talked about childhood cancer and St .Jude to raise awareness in a unique way: Runcast for St. Jude, 23min. Little did I know that almost at that very moment in November 2020, Luke, a neighbor’s child, was being diagnosed with Leukemia and starting a year-long fight for his life.

LEGS FOR LUKE… A few months ago, Luke came home on hospice care when treatment was no longer recommended. The news hit me like a brick. I did what I always do when life seems out of balance – I went for a run. And my passion for running for St. Jude was renewed. I used to run for St. Jude because the research done there helped save my son’s life. Now I am doing it to honor those that are no longer here to run alongside us, like Luke.

JOIN THE RACE… This year I’m all in for St Jude and have decided to run the Dopey Challenge in addition to the Wine & Dine races. This is a four-day race series including a 5k, 10k, half, and full marathon for a total of 48.6 miles. To go along with this, I’m also raising the bar on my fundraiser to $10,000: 4x the miles, 4x the money, 4x the impact. As a St. Jude Hero, I carry a message of hope that tomorrow can be better than today. With your help, we can make that hope a reality. Join me in the race to end childhood cancer by donating to St. Jude right now.

WHY CHILDHOOD CANCER?

More than 10,000 children will be diagnosed with cancer this year (about 30 every day).

Cases vary significantly, but it is not uncommon for treatment to cost over $1,000,000.

Although today’s overall survival rate is more than 80%, more than 95% of survivors will have significant health issues later in life, usually as a result of treatment.

WHY ST. JUDE?

Families never receive a bill from St. Jude for treatment, travel, housing or food - because all a family should worry about is helping their child live.

Treatments invented at St. Jude have helped push the overall childhood cancer survival rate from 20% to more than 80% since it opened more than 50 years ago. St. Jude is working to drive the overall survival rate for childhood cancer to 90%, and they won’t stop until no child dies from cancer.

St. Jude freely shares the discoveries it makes, and every child saved at St. Jude means doctors and scientists worldwide can use that knowledge to save thousands more children.

St Jude is a top-tier charity, receiving 4-out-of-4 stars by Charity Navigator and a Platinum rating for transparency by GuideStar, which gives you confidence that your donation is making the most impact it can.

31 Likes

Everyone keep in mind that I’ll be sharing this race report publicly with friends and family. So behave yourselves…. If you really can’t help yourself head over to La Cava

16 Likes

I hope you can hear all of us cheering you on from around the world!

11 Likes

See you there my friend! We can go the distance!

13 Likes

28 Likes

I live in Memphis, TN - home to St. Jude. They do amazing work, not only w. childhood cancer, but in the entire community! Thanks for your efforts!! GL!!

7 Likes

a beautiful thing! be well. many cheers to you from afar.

4 Likes

Best of luck for all the races. I’ll try to track you live during your run.

3 Likes

Race mornings begin with 3am wake up to get ready and catch bus by 330 to Epcot. Marathon weekend races all start and end in the parking lot there. Dopey is exhausting not only because of the mileage but also the early wake ups 4 days in a row.

19 Likes

While waiting in my corral I’ll post some pics from the race expo where I got my bib and some goodies.

19 Likes

Just jumping in to say good luck. I’ll be following and cheering from across the pond.

6 Likes

So I didn’t do this live because it was crazy crowded and I just wanted to keep going. I did take a lot of pics though.

29 Likes

Way to go! One down!

2 Likes

Congrats .

45.5 to go!

3 Likes

Nice! Get some sleep and rest up.

I love that Epcot was all lit up for you all!

1 Like

10k in 30 minutes!

19 Likes

Enjoy

1 Like

14 Likes