Marathon Weekend 2024

Awesome!

@NoBellePrizeWinner is a good source for the experience of charity running too

I’m signed up to do my first marathon. I only think of it as possible at Disney. Plus I am so looking forward to crossing the finish line with a Margarita!

2 Likes

YOU ARE GOING TO ROCK THIS!

It will be the most challenging, most amazing experience of your running life. And it will change you in all the best ways!!

You can go the distance!

3 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

You got this!

“I know every mile…will be worth my while.”

1 Like

Thanks for summoning me, but thinking about runDisney puts me into a melancholy. The long-term let down of my Dopey 360 cancelation has really hit me hard. So much so that I don’t know if I’m a DisNerd anymore. Havent been on here but maybe once a week or so for 5 minutes, realize I’m not interested in any of it (sorry) and get off, havent listened to the Dish (which I was religious about before), and have no plans in my head whatsoever to return to Disney. What the heck happened? I think something in my brain snapped.

But I am still passionate about running for charity, so if I can be of any assistance at all in that regard, please send me a private message. I have run for St. Jude, Autism Speaks, Spina Bifida Association, Give Kids the World Village, and a few smaller charities as well

Don’t be concerned about me though, I’m personally doing fine. I’ve stepped up into the committee chair role with my kids cub scouts pack (there are about 60 families, so its a huge commitment), and I’ve also joined the board of a new local nonprofit that was created last year to carry on the legacy of Luke, the boy who died of Leukemia in 2021 and why I ran Dopey Dos for my Legs for Luke campaign:

I’m still running too, but not in any hardcore way. At least not yet. In a few weeks we have our family’s “cancerversary” (day our son was diagnosed), and is when I announce my annual fundraiser. This year I’m running in memory of Luke again, and am fundraising for the new charity I mentioned. It is called “Live Like Luke”, and I’m calling my fundraising campaign “1000 Miles for Luke”. Last year I ran 600 miles total, so this year I’m stretching myself big time and setting a goal of 1000 miles.

The mission of Live Like Luke is to provide financial support for families while their child is in the hospital. The goal is to lessen their daily burdens so they can focus on being with their kids. For now we are collecting donations through the Communities Foundation of Texas until we have completed the set up of a 501c3. Here is the link to our donation page.

If anyone is interested to stay updated, maybe I’ll share my fundraiser here once it’s announced.

ETA: the LLL fund has already raised 50k this year and granted 30k to families. It has a lot of steam already!

7 Likes

I love this work that you do, my friend

It’s okay if you’re not a Disnerd anymore - we are still friends, like it or not :wink:

3 Likes

I am in awe of your fundraising and leadership of the youth. That sets a great example for future generations. :+1:

I can relate to not wanting to look at anything Disney for a while. I sum it up to Post Marathon Weekend Depression (PMWD).

It happens to me every year. You put in all that work, effort and focus into training for Marathon weekend and then it is gone. There is an empty void and the feeling of not knowing what to do with one’s self.

I typically do not check TPs that often for the first couple of months post-race. Once there is an announcement for the next Marathon weekend race, I typically start checking in again. The excitement starts to rise as I switch into planning mode.

The ultimate solution to removing this PMWD for me would probably be perpetual planning mode for another race. I need to win the lottery so that I can do that.

3 Likes

Awesome everyone. Great input @Nobelle (BTW, love the name).

DS12 and I ran together last night…first time in a while. Took about an hour to get the 5k in; but that was because there was a LOT of Disney chat styled after the March Madness brackets. And me being slightly mischievous, picked Little Mermaid over ROTR…which broke all his brackets :). DS12 was laughing so hard, and I kept a straight face while doing my BEST to explain why Little Mermaid was better than ROTR. This went on for a good 8 minutes; what a lovely way to spend an hour.

After looking at the charities, we picked Jar of Hope. Its a group working to find a cure for a type of MS that impacts boys. With most patients being wheelchair bound by 15, so it was a charity DS12 can better appreciate, given similar ages.

Be well everyone; keep running. Lets make Marathon Weekend an awesome event.

4 Likes

Way to go - we’ll be there cheering for you!! Keep posting on how the training is going.

1 Like

Thanks still trying to get my baseline back. Had a hip labral repair last august and then COVID in January and a few other bugs. I swear my family has only had one week of being relatively health since school started in September and that was while we were at Disney this past February. :rofl:

2 Likes

2 Likes

Wow; congrats! Thanks for posting.

1 Like

First week returning to training; my Garmin watch-based running coach yelled at me for skipping training for a few weeks and Garmin pushed a video to my iPhone about what happens if you skip training.

So for spite, I decided to run/jog a full 5k distance…non stop….and I did it!! From couch to a 5k jog/run in 4 months.

Sending positive vibes to all out there; keep training. You got this!!

4 Likes

Solid work!

I did a 5K the other night out of stubbornness. It was slow and difficult but I did it. Maybe I’ll try a little more measured return to running now that I got that out of my system.

1 Like

Congratulations on completing a 5k. That is a serious distance to complete. Good for you! I think this shows that the largest barrier to any run is the mental game. You were able to calm the mental demons and get the distance completed.

Congratulations. It is good to see you are making your way back into the running game.

2 Likes

Started my half marathon training yesterday. Here’s to the next 24 weeks!

5 Likes

I love the structure of a prescribed plan. It keeps me honest.

Related: I’m not currently following a prescribed plan. Ergo I am not doing anything LOL

3 Likes

Same. I thrive when I live in my own created structure.

1 Like

And it sounds like you need to create a plan!

1 Like