Leading Reservations for dining?

Just piling on to this.

Think of it this way.

Say you have a non-split stay for 7 days. You wake up at 6 am on your ADR day to make reservations for your entire trip. But, the important point is that those that had 8+ day trips starting shortly before yours already had an extra day(s) to make their ADR’s. Even more important is that everyone whose stay starts the same day as yours have the same ADR day, and if you don’t wake up at 6 am you will be behind all those people. Particularly for the first days because all of them can also reserve those days. So, setting an alarm to get the ADR’s the second you can is important.

But, if you have a leading reservation, the only people that you are competing against each day are those that also have a 10+ reservation that starts on or before yours. That is a much smaller group.

2 Likes

I have been doing ours at 6 AM on 60+10 because I am up then anyway. But when I have checked later in the day (or even a day or two later), there is still good availability, at least for the things I want. A west coast person should have no problem waiting until they get up to do the reservations using this method. It is so much less stress!

3 Likes

OK so if I make a leading reservation 10 days before my actual trip, when that leading reservation’s ADR window opens I can’t make ADRs for any day except Actual Day 1.
Correct?

On the next day, I can make the ADRs for Actual Day 2 but no further, and so on?

4 Likes

Correct. If you made the leading rez 10 days prior to your original stay and including your stay, it will give you access to Day 1 of our original stay, one day at a time. In other words, you are getting the 10th day (as far as you can book in advance) of each day as you go of your original rez.

1 Like

Or each day you you can book 70 days out so you get the maximum benefit for each day. It so much simpler to just say 70 days than this 60+10 thing. Just book everything 70 days out one day at a time but at your leisure.

3 Likes

So if I check in Nov. 1– what’s the desired leading reservation? 10/21-11/1 or lead through your entire stay? So 10/21- 11/6? Do you use same MDE account?

This calculator should help.

I used my usual MDE account, except for a couple places I needed to split the ADR over 2 people because we have a party of 7-10 and some places don’t allow that many on a single reservation.

1 Like

Ok that makes sense!
Thanks so much… planning a split stay for next year so who knows what will change! Something to think about!

1 Like

Oh, and for the second MDE account if needed due to party size, just make sure to include them on the same leading room reservation.

2 Likes

Thanks only 4 of us so should well!

1 Like

You book it thru the end of your real trip so 10/21-11/6 and I used the same MDE account

1 Like

Do I book just room or package prob doesn’t matter right?

1 Like

At what restaurants were you forced to split your party? We have a party of 8 in December…just curious what I should be watching out for!

Yak & Yeti is tables up to 6 only. I made a quick-and-dirty list…let me find it…

ETA: It’s on this post:

1 Like

Just a room as it’s got a better cancellation policy.

2 Likes

Room. It’ll be cheaper deposit too if you get a campsite or all star reservation and you can cancel later

1 Like

Thanks for explaining! Was trying to figure out how it works. By the time I get back might be back to 180! :joy:

2 Likes

Was 180 easier to get ADR’s. There is limited capacity for restaurants, but then there are also more people that know they are going at the 60 day mark than the 180 day mark. Not sure which has the bigger impact.

Good question I think once restaurants are at full capacity we will be able to tell. I think most people know they are going at 60. At 180 I got everything I wanted and when I wanted last trip in 2018.

I think a lot more people made cancellations and changes when they were 180 days out, too. So stuff was always opening up.

4 Likes