Leading Reservations for dining?

Let me start by saying that I did a search for this and only found posts that were BC (before Covid) - and some of those discussions were about FP - so I apologize if it has been discussed more recently. I would also like to add “asking for a friend” and that I am not necessarily advocating using leading reservations…

Do leading reservations still work for dining? Seeing that many people are having issues booking ADRs even at 60+several days, it just got me wondering if this loophole still exists.

3 Likes

They do. The loophole is there. If one waits until within their actual 60 day travel window the ressies will hold after you cancel the leading res

3 Likes

Yup. I did it for my upcoming trip in 10 days and I did it for the trip I took in December.

3 Likes

I thought this only worked for fast pass and that dining would be broken up due to the split between the leading and normal reservation?

If too many did this (I have), how would they even go about stopping it? Making the deposit nonrefundable? That would screw over a bunch of people legitimately needing to cancel, and one could still get around it by making one long reservation and modifying it down to the real one.

2 Likes

I think you’ve got it backwards. They closed the fastpass loophole, but the dining one still works.

Theoretically they could do what they did for fastpass and tie the adr to the room so if you cancel one, they all cancel. I hope not, bc I do it pretty often.

Is this another “why we can’t have nice things” gimmick? Not to OP, just asking in general.

3 Likes

Where you book 67 days out? But then what? Why cancel?

I don’t think so.
I see it as Disney gets to hold those deposits and make interest off them so if they wanted to stop it they would.

3 Likes

This would be hard though because anyone can make dining reservations, right?

Yes. Off site can make them at 60 days and have to do each day individually. On site can do 60+10 all at once. It could be done, but I think it’s above disney’s IT level, lol.

3 Likes

Oh, so people are booking a room somewhere, making the reservations, then canceling the room? Ah.

Not condoning. Not a fan either, but just because I’m a rule follower by nature.

10 Likes

It’s like if I have a room reservation that I intend to use for 3/27-4/3 but I want a jump on ADRs so I make a SECOND reservation for 3/24–4/3 so I can get into ADRS even earlier. Then cancel the one I don’t want. All the ADRS stay.

5 Likes

Oh! Thanks for explaining!
Might make things a tad more difficult for others, but not as bad as canceling all together. I just wasn’t smart enough to figure it out on my own, and probably won’t ever try it because it could affect others. But I’m not going to get as huffy as I do about parking at Contemporary.

It sounds condescending, not meant as that though.

5 Likes

I didn’t take it that way.

1 Like

That’s why, I only ever had my reservation leading up to not overlapping, I think that’s why, thank you for clarifying

1 Like

I was afraid to do this for awhile because a CM once commented to me on the phone that if there are too many cancellations on your account they will shut it down. But, I’ve had lots of cancellations for various reasons over the years since then and so far they continue to be happy to take my money!

2 Likes

:joy:

That’s as foolish as the advice they gave out the other day that you don’t have to get in line for the buses early in the morning

7 Likes

No kidding! Sometimes I wonder what they are trying to accomplish.
But, it was in a situation where I had been trying to book a resort reservation and (gasp!) MDE was malfunctioning and telling me the reservation was not going through. Finally gave up after it told me it was no longer available and later surprise! I had about 10 identical reservations!

2 Likes