Leading Reservations for dining?

The system has been incredibly wonky over the last month or so

(which is to say more incredibly wonky than usual)

3 Likes

For a few minutes, I was getting what could be normalish availability for Teppan Edo and Skippers, but not CM or BOG. I think it’s really hit or miss if it’s functioning properly right now. So sorry it’s not behaving properly for you!

2 Likes

Thanks for your help! Luckily I got everything I wanted (just not always when I wanted) when my booking window opened. Although I accidentally booked CM for 2 and I need it for 3. I wanted to be able to tweak times and maybe switch a restaurant or two if/when they extend park hours. I guess I will just keep trying (akin to banging my head on a wall).

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing this topic. I am booking reservations for June and have booked the campgrounds as a leading reservation. Trip is booked for 6/26- 7/3 and my leading reservation is for 6/16-7/3. I am booking for 8 and based on what I have read from others in this forum, I will have access to one day’s restaurants per day. Planning on canceling my leading reservation in the beginning of May. I will share my experiences to try and help others.

4 Likes

So this discussion has me a little puzzled. I never heard of this technique until now.

The last time I did a lot of advance planning for a WDW trip was in 2011, when ADRs could be booked 180 days out. (I’ve been to WDW a few times since, but those were sorta last-minute things.) Now I’m planning for a bigger trip in October. I think I get the gist of how this works, but I have a few questions about specifics.

Background: We’ve already booked two packages to cover five people – three in one room and two in another (at Pop, if that matters). Both reservations were made under my MDE account, with one room in my name and the other room in my brother’s name, and these are packages including park tickets. This is NOT a split stay – we’re booked for October 15-24, but arriving very late on the 15th and leaving first thing in the morning of the 24th. Therefore we only need ADRs for October 16-23.

We want some hard-to-get ADRs – Oga’s didn’t exist last time we were there, and Space 220 may be open by then. We also want to get a few old favorites, including Le Cellier. Oh, maybe also BOG. (My wife and I have been before, but the other three in our party have not and really want to go.)

So to employ this technique, I understand I’ll have to make another reservation beginning October 5 or 6. Here are my questions:

1. What should the check-out date be for the leading reservation? October 24?
  2. When should I book the leading reservation? Now?
  3. Will I be able to put yet another reservation under my MDE account, with two already in there?
  4. Would a leading reservation beginning October 5 allow me to book ADRs for all dates through October 23?
  5. It seems to me that if somebody were to compare the leading and ‘real’ reservations, it would be obvious which is legitimate… e.g., I have park tickets and park reservations already for October 16-23, and the leading reservation wouldn’t even have park tickets associated with it. Are there “gotchas” I should plan for?

Any other advice that you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2 Likes
  1. What should the check-out date be for the leading reservation? October 24?
  • Yes
  1. When should I book the leading reservation? Now?
  • Any time before the 60+10 day for your first day of your stay (my quick math says August 6th with a reservation starting October 5)
  1. Will I be able to put yet another reservation under my MDE account, with two already in there?
  • Yes, not a problem
  1. Would a leading reservation beginning October 5 allow me to book ADRs for all dates through October 23?
  • You would be able to book for each day one at a time starting with October 15th on August 6th. But plus side is you wouldn’t have to wake up early each day and if you missed a few days you could catch up. Just try to give yourself as many of the 60+10 days as you can, and no less than, say 60+4.
  1. It seems to me that if somebody were to compare the leading and ‘real’ reservations, it would be obvious which is legitimate… e.g., I have park tickets and park reservations already for October 16-23, and the leading reservation wouldn’t even have park tickets associated with it. Are there “gotchas” I should plan for?
  • No one will notice or care, at least based on years of people doing this. No guarantees, but it’s unlikely to change because you are actually giving them money to hold your reservation, even if it is refundable. Disney likes to have your cash for a few weeks. It helps them manage their cash flows - like taking out thousands of small loans. :slight_smile:
2 Likes

Thanks, Jeff! I really appreciate the quick reply. Your response made me think of a couple followup questions…

First, does the leading reservation have to cover five people? I recall being able to book ADRs for a greater number of people than I had listed on a reservation before, so guessing I only have to list one person on the leading reservation (me, I guess). But then I’ll be double-booked – Oct 5-24 on the leading reservation, and Oct 15-24 on the ‘real’ reservation. Seems like it could be a problem.

Second, isn’t it a dead giveaway what I’m doing if I have a room reservation beginning Oct 5, but don’t make any ADRs for dates prior to October 16?

Thanks again for your help with this. :smiley:

2 Likes

No, just one. You can make dining reservations for as many people as the system will let you as long as the lead person on the hotel reservation is on the dining reservation. There is no problem with you being double booked at two resorts.

Perhaps if someone at Disney was assigned to look for people doing this and to stop / prevent it. But by all accounts they are not currently focused on this.

1 Like

Oh, so I guess it makes sense that the leading reservation should be at another resort. Maybe at one of the All Stars…

Yeah I would find the cheapest room or campsite you can that has availability for all your dates.

1 Like

I’ve seen others mention campsites for leading reservations. Is there some advantage to using a campsite for that vs. using a resort?

Just cost. You only have to deposit one night’s stay for the whole leading reservation, then the entire thing is refundable. So it really doesn’t matter that much. It’s about $100 for a campsite vs. about $150 for a value, etc.

Having just booked two rooms at Pop recently, I can vouch that the deposit is $200 per room. Maybe because it’s the rack rate… hoping for a discount offer to come up for my dates.

Thanks again for all your help on this, Jeff. :+1:

1 Like

If you did a package it’s $200 deposit period no matter the nightly cost of the room. A room only rate is one night’s cost so it varies depending on the going rate of the season and the price of the hotel.

I thought that the advantage to getting the campsites is that you can book for longer than 14 days there. I paid a down payment of $210 for my campsite.

1 Like

Oh that may be true as well. I think there is a 14-day limit that @Tall_Paul1 encountered, but it might have been on rooms with the seasonal discount. You may want to just play around with it when you’re booking and see what options are available for the dates you need, then book whatever is cheapest.

Okay, that’s something to keep in mind. If there’s a 14 day limit on a resort booking, then a leading reservation beginning Oct 5 would mean my check-out date on the leading reservation would be Oct 19, which is before my actual check-out date of Oct 24. So I might need a second leading reservation to cover ADRs from Oct 20-23, beginning Oct 10?

ETA: Or, I could make the leading reservation for the dates Oct 9-23, which is a 14 day reservation and covers all the dates of my actual reservation except the check-out day (which doesn’t matter for ADRs). The only problem with this idea is that I don’t get 60+10 that way; I think it would be 60+5.

I had a leading reservation for 22 days from May 18-jun 9 no probs at asmovies
And I didn’t really need past the June 7th because the other res kicked in by then since it was a 12 nighter

2 Likes

Hmmm… I guess I’ll have to just try making a reservation and see what it allows me to do. Thanks for your advice. :smiley:

Okay, it looks like availability for my leading reservation dates is really limited, with some resorts unavailable and some room types already booked up. I’m guessing availability is limited to those hotels currently open? This makes me think I should book something now, even though I wouldn’t otherwise have to do it until August.