Just food reviews... Honest ones only please ;)

I know, but I really appreciate honesty and for those that like something I do not it helps me w/ the rest of their reviews and I’m ok w/ that :wink:

1 Like

We have never been to Y&Y (mostly because there isn’t a thing on the menu that dd15 will eat) so we are trying it for the first time in 11 days. :grin:

Our family favorite is Tusker House (usually just at the end of breakfast so we can have choices from both the breakfast and lunch buffets), but we are trying new restaurants and while Tiffins is intriguing to me …dd is all kinds of excited about the Y&Y menu.

It could be a one and done, but I felt like we needed to try it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s what Yn’Y ended up being for us. I was on a mother daughter’s trip and finally could go there. The guys nixed it every time

I LOVE Chef Mickey brunch b/c it’s both breakfast and lunch together.

Same. Everyone always raves about it but it was meh for us (this was about 5 years ago).

I’m tempted to try it again sometime but haven’t gotten around to it…

1 Like

We did that w/ WC… and now after 3 tries understand that it really is a NO for us. It’s fun to watch all the antics but the food is meh. I won’t go back to Yn’Y b/c we tried three different dishes that were all disappointing.

1 Like

In my opinion, the AK has the best food of any theme park, not just at Disney, but anywhere. There’s great food no matter which way you want to go. I haven’t tried many of the restaurants here because the good ones are just that good.

If you want QS, you have Flame Tree and Satu’li
If you want drinks and small plates, there’s the sacred space over next to Tiffin’s
To sit down with characters, there’s Tusker House
To sit down without characters, go to Tiffin’s.

That’s really all you need to know about AK. I’ve been to Harambe Market and Pizzafari, but because the restaurants above exist, I won’t go back to either one. It’s hard to compete against the best.

4 Likes

Ooh! Another one I forgot to review.

:+1: :+1: But both my wife and I LOVED our breakfast here. The Tonga Toast was my wife’s absolute favorite food of our entire trip. While I wouldn’t rate the Macadamia Nut Pancakes quite that highly, they were still absolutely delicious…and the side of ham was actually even more amazing. I want to return just for the ham.

2 Likes

I want so much to dish about restaurants because we love to eat in the World (and it shows) but . . . I’d be working off pre-Covid experiences which can’t be relevant currently. Maybe ever.

We did enjoy a couple of eateries in December 2020 even tho the menus were short. And if you’re gluten/dairy you mostly had the same choices every restaurant, lunch or supper.

I get that tough times require certain machinations with pre-doing stuff to foods at a central location and then shuttling said foods to restaurants. We knew that and adjusted expectations. Maybe 7 days is too long during a pandemic, we were tiring of eating at WDW when we left.

We tried Satu’li and Docking Bay 7 for the first time. We’d eat both places again, especially since we usually leave HS to eat.

We were looking forward to Yak & Yeti Restaurant since we’ve eaten qs several times. Doubt we’ll go back. Perhaps our expectations were high. Despite the assurances of a dairy free dish from our indifferent server, we were rushing from AK less than an hour later. (I did complain; :thinking: only an auto response, tho) The food wasn’t awful, even the dairy-ish dairy free; it just wasn’t mmm mmm good.

We tried Whispering Canyon again, after maybe 25 years. Again, not horrible - and no one got sick! We’d probably eat here again in another 25 years . . . or not, well, I guess the kid could eat at 41. The dairy free will only be 65. (What’s the oldest WDW guest? )

We were planning to eat at Sunshine Seasons because we’ve liked eating here in the past but ran into difficulty. So walked up to Coral Reef. What a treat! We’d stopped eating here mostly due to crowds. Social distancing, baby! Quiet meal. Wonderful menu options. Great tastes. Awesome waiter. And nobody got sick. :grin:

We did wind up doing take-out from Artist Palette several times because it’s handy and we always enjoyed our food. Do I recall what we got? Of course not. We definitely remember we weren’t disappointed.

1 Like

This says it all. :laughing: :laughing:

2 Likes

:face_with_monocle: :thinking: :face_with_raised_eyebrow: In my defense, we also liked the food from Lotus Blossom. (And yes, I mean that ironically…I realize that isn’t much of a defense…at all!)

2 Likes

I am fond of the Macadamia nut pancakes and I don’t like pancakes. Tongo Toast… my guys thought it was too sweet and wished they had ordered the M.Pancakes :wink:

1 Like

I’m just joking… :crazy_face: I’ve not tried Lotus Blossom that I can remember.

Keep dishing ppl. The honest reviews are SO much more helpful than the usual hype we dish :wink:

Based on your opinion of Y&Y, I don’t recommend you try Lotus Blossom. It is basically about as good as a fast-food Chinese place. But, my wife and I still enjoyed it. You throw enough soy sauce on something… :smiley:

1 Like

see… now that’s helpful, Thank you!

Wow these lists remind me that there are SO many restaurants I haven’t tried! And a few I need to avoid :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

MK:
Pecos Bills :-1: :-1: I was hopeful for a good somewhat healthier QS option in MK. This was not it. I got the chicken and beans & rice and the flavor was awful. Probably the worst food I’ve had at WDW.
CHH :+1: This is a home run every time. Simple menu, everyone can find something, tasty. I hope they bring back the pot pie.
LTT :+1: It’s Thanksgiving dinner and it’s done well
CRT: :+1: :+1: I think it deserves MORE praise. One of the few places I think is worth the cost.
BOG :-1: :+1: Not bad and not good. It’s fun to do once but, personally, it didn’t impress me enough to go back. Not worth the $$
Captain Cook’s :+1: This is my favorite QS when I’m at MK. The food is unique and always good.
Ohana :+1: :-1: Unpopular opinion, I think it’s overrated. It’s good and I love the atmosphere but it didn’t quite live up to the hype for me.
Floridian Cafe :+1: Breakfast is so good (especially the biscuits) and the service is excellent. I plan to go back for other meals.
Geyser Point B&G :+1: Another one of my favorites on a MK day. The menu is a little limited but it’s all prepared very well.
EP:
GG :-1: Unpopular opinion, I thought it was meh. The food wasn’t bad but definitely not exciting. Upside, the characters were fantastic, very interactive.
Coral Reef :+1: Underrated in my opinion! I think the food is probably a little better than chain restaurant quality but the atmosphere is so fun and relaxing!
R&C :+1: :+1: Always excellent, LOTS of food, and love the atmosphere especially outside by the water.
Katsura Grill :-1: I had high hopes but it was just meh. Not terrible by any means. It was also hard to find a seat the day I went so I just avoid going back.
Les Halles :+1: Always a must stop for a sweet treat. Never disappoints.
HS:
ABC Commissary :-1: Bleh. The looked good but tasted bland. And the atmosphere is so boring.
Milk Stand :+1:
AK:
Satu’li Canteen :+1: :+1: The best QS in my opinion.
Y&Y Local Foods Cafe :+1: Pretty standard food but the portions were large and my kids ate it up. The only thing I didn’t like was the outdoor seating area was way too crowded. I will get the little mango pie again!
Tiffins :+1: I don’t know if this one lives up to the hype for me but it was a good meal and good service. I’m sure I’ll eat there again.

For those who like drinks: I think AK is the best for lounges over EP. Just my opinion!

DS:
Homecomin :+1: :+1:
Paddlefish :+1: :-1: The food is ok but it is not worth the $$. You can get better crab and lobster elsewhere.
Blaze :+1: A great lunch option and sitting on the outside deck is a nice spot.
WBG :+1: Not a place I’m rushing to go back to but definitely a good meal.

2 Likes

This. I was reading someone’s trip report recently and they rated a restaurant that I liked as bad, which isn’t uncommon, but then they liked one that I hated, and then from there on out I distrusted anything they said about food. :joy::joy::joy:

ETA: Names redacted to protect the innocent monsters.

6 Likes

Yes… tell me what you really think , It can’t be all sunshine and rainbows :laughing: :laughing:

3 Likes

Here are my impressions, only for places I have been in 2021, so all post-COVID. One thing I want to point out is that I’ve found our party’s experience in a restaurant can be different depending on the makeup, ie kids, teens or adults only.
I will devise my own system of stars:

• Adequate, filled our bellies, no one got sick, but wouldn’t go back
    ** Good food, enjoyed the experience, would do it again
    *** Excellent, would go every trip if possible

Hollywood Studios:

• 50’s Prime Time - Teens enjoyed the food the most, atmosphere was ok. Dessert (apple crisp) was disappointing. Staff at check-in were just plain rude, threatening to cancel our ADR because one of us had to take my little girls to the bathroom en route. Now I’ve talked myself into deducting a star.

** ABC Commissary - Some different menu items than just burgers etc, and AC.

** Ronto Roasters - the lunch/dinner roaster is quite good, as was the overnight oats. Makes a nice snack.

Epcot
** Chefs de France - our entrees weren’t exceptional. But the bread and fresh butter could have been lunch enough for me. We all enjoyed trying escargot for the first time.

*** La Hacienda - DH and I ate here and got the platter for two. It was divine! Only downside was that it’s all indoors and it was crowded. We asked for a table to the side.

** Teppan Edo - We thought the food was really good and kids enjoyed the table show. Our chef made some nice gestures to accommodate my fussy DD4.

*** Via Napoli - the first time DH and kids ate here, they did not like it. Then again maybe he just didn’t like dealing with the DDs without me :thinking:. I’ve been twice and both times got the family salad to share and the margharita pizza which is superb. I’d eat that meal anytime.

Magic Kingdom
** CRT - Food is good but it’s not the same without all the princesses. I don’t think we will go back until they are back.

** Skipper Canteen - Brazilian cheese bread was good as was my salad. Falafel was so-so. I didn’t care for DH’s Tastes Like Chicken.

*** LTT - We had tried this in the past when they had a lunch menu and didn’t care for it much. Actually DH’s aunt got deathly ill from the lobster roll. However, we returned for the regular dinner with teens and LOVED it. My DS’s talked me into giving up Toledo to go back last trip. And I wasn’t all that sad.

*** Sleepy Hollow - Love the fruit waffles. Has to be done at least once per trip and preferably every MK day.

Animal Kingdom

• Rainforest Cafe - I felt like I could have walked in here in 1990 and it would have been exactly the same. Goes for the food too. One and done.

** Yak and Yeti - Been there twice this year. The first time, we all really enjoyed it. The second time, I didn’t so much but I think I chose poorly (seared tuna salad). I wanted something light and no one would share the tuna nachos with me. Chairs/table always feel sticky in there to me.

*** Nomad Lounge - I could eat the tuna bowl, bread service and/or churros in here any day. I’m not a big drinker but I do love ginger beer so their Zanzibar Zinger is my fave. Just looked to double check the name and it looks like they have changed and renamed it. :astonished:

** Tiffins - Atmosphere is nice, food was ok, there just wasnt anything on the menu that thrilled me.

Have to go do some work…I’ll add another post with resort restaurants later!

1 Like

:scream: :scream: :scream:

1 Like