Just food reviews... Honest ones only please ;)

That’s too bad, but I get it b/c when service leaves a bad taste you don’t want to return.

ok this makes total sense. When you first wrote I thought about the sauce immediately.

That’s us too and we don’t mind QS b/c it’s still spendy for what you get :wink:

1 Like

This is what?

I will fight you.

The best QS on property is Satu’li Canteen and that is the end of the matter.

3 Likes

Famous bbq place in Austin. Pre-covid, on a typical day, you would wait four hours in line for it. The owner has written BBQ books, done a PBS series, and has a Masterclass.

Many people say Franklin’s is the best bbq in Austin. As someone who wrote a bbq blog for a while I would not agree. (In Austin, I would recommend Terry Black’s or Stiles Switch. Both have a much lower wait - less than an hour - and I think the food is better too).

4 Likes

Ah. Not capitalized I thought it was a food item like, for example a donut.

I think I have actually heard of that place before now that you’ve clarified!

1 Like

Stiles Switch is great. Just ate it two nights ago. But Micklethwaits is better and the line is usually not more than an hour. With Franklins you can order ahead as well (weeks ahead that is) online and you don’t have to wait. :-).

Also check out this movie @OBNurseNH Chef (2014) - IMDb

:+1: :+1: We loved Y & Y. Definitely one we plan to re-do on future visits. It is already in our plans for our 2022 trip.

:+1: :+1: We loved this place. Went for our Anniversary. Chicken was amazing. Went back, taking the family this past May (despite being a UOR trip). Sadly, the coconut rolls were no longer available, but we still loved our meal. Even so, we will probably choose to skip this next time only because there are other places we want to try, and it is a little off the beaten path.

:man_shrugging:

It is fine. I don’t think it deserves the hate I hear, but it also isn’t great. You go for the “atmosphere”…and by that, I mean watching animals so loud you can’t hear the people you are eating with in a conversation without yelling. I’d only go back to take young kids, otherwise skip.

:+1: This was good. We had our anniversary dinner here. I’ll admit the food wasn’t amazing, but it was definitely very good. But when you combine it with the atmosphere, it was great. Granted, we were seated on this indoor patio area, not the main area. I think the atmosphere would have been less romantic in the main area.

:+1: Granted, this is based on REALLY old info. We haven’t been since 1995. :slight_smile: But the atmosphere is stellar, and the food was decent enough. We haven’t been back, though, and so have no idea if it still holds true today.

:man_shrugging: I guess it was okay. I would probably not go back unless we just wanted to grab a quick lunch or something and happened to be in The Land at the time.

:-1: We didn’t really like this place. It doesn’t even really get much in terms of atmosphere, and the food was just weird. (What’s with the rectangular shaped chicken??)

:+1: I wouldn’t say it is great, but for QS, the grilled cheese was decent enough. The tarts, however, were an epic fail. Those things were terrible, and I don’t get the love for them. Neither of us could even tolerate finishing them. Sorry, but actual Pop-Tarts are better than those things.

:+1: :+1: As QS, Backlot is one of our favorites. We’ve eaten there a few times now, and it doesn’t disappoint.

:man_shrugging: Food was fine. No complaints, but also nothing about it stands out.

:man_shrugging: We didn’t buy too much from here. Food looked fine, but the cookie I bought there ended up being so-so. The cookie from Screen Door was actually better.

:+1: The food is always good from here, but not great. One of the better QS places at MK, though.

:man_shrugging: This is another one that we will choose if in the area, but nothing special either.

:+1: This place was surprisingly good, and if you account for price, might eke out a second thumbs up. I had trouble deciding what to even pick from there. I didn’t give it two thumbs up however, simply because there definitely better places to eat. But I’d return for PP without hesitation.

:+1: :+1: The family loved it, all around. Deviled Eggs were amazing. Chicken was great (or so I’m told…although I got the Cuban instead, which was also great).

Other places not from above:

The Plaza - :man_shrugging: Okay. The food was good, partially. My wife’s was great. I ordered the meatloaf because the server said they were famous for it. It was…mediocre at best. WAY too salty. The dessert afterwards was stellar, though.

Cosmic Ray’s - :man_shrugging: Truth is, we end up eating here more than we probably should mostly as a matter of convenience. Food is basic. Not bad. Not good. Just sustenance when you are starving.

Flame Tree BBQ - :+1: :+1: Okay. I gave it two thumbs up because it is, to our minds, the best QS place in all of WDW, not because the food outdoes higher quality TS places. But the food here did not disappoint. Portions were great, taste was great, and even the cole slaw was quite decent (something that a lot place just seem to get so wrong). Also, it is a nice change from standard QS faire.

Rosie’s - :man_shrugging: Again, basic QS. Not bad, not great. Just a place to eat when you are on Sunset Blvd and getting hungry.

2 Likes

Same!

1 Like

Oh. I forgot about Via Napoli. I’d give it a :man_shrugging:. It was decent. Fine. But lots of places have much better food. (Having said that, my wife’s Quattro pizza was actually quite delicious. I had wished I got that, instead of the one I got which had sausage on it…forget what it was called off hand.)

I forgot to mention the Italian restaurant too. Only ate there once and all 3 of us were very happy w/ our food. The server was a BIG flirt. I was there w/ DiL and a friend and he flirted w/ the only single one :face_with_hand_over_mouth: :laughing: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: (friend). It was hilarious!!!

1 Like

And I forgot Tony’s which gets a :-1: for me after this last visit but it was ok the time before that.

If you mean Via Napoli, I think the waiters certainly get a lot of attention. Our first time there every table around us claimed a birthday to get the waiters to come over and sing. There was a table of 5 or 6 women near us and I think they got birthday wishes three times as they kept coming up with a new member of the party that was celebrating a birthday! The waiters were very good sports.

And I love the Quattro pizza there. One of my favourites.

2 Likes

It was Tutto Italia Ristorante

Ooh, I love writing honest food reviews:

Be Our Guest : Pre-covid : “French” food that would make any Frenchman sad. An overpriced menu with American staples dressed up with extra butter. Post-covid : It’s now more expensive with fewer choices, but they no longer pretend to be French. Do you want to spend 90 minutes of your magic kingdom day getting meat and potatoes at 2-3x the price you’d find anywhere else in the US? This is your place!

Cinderella’s Royal Table : One of the few that lives up to the hype. Menu changes seasonally, but always has fresh food. The view and atmosphere is like none other, and the interaction with nearly every princess is a lot of fun regardless of the age. So good, it’s worth it to check on walk-up reservations if you didn’t get one months in advance.

Aloha Isle : If you love pineapple sherbet, this is your place.

Cosmic Ray’s : good location, quick bite, but don’t expect much on the food. You’re not here for an eating experience, you’re here to get a quick bite and get back on rides. Probably won’t make anyone ill, as they don’t season the food and cook the heck out of it.

Pinocchio’s Village Haus : If your kids are entertained by watching other people ride rides through a window, then this is the place for you. Adults, eat before you arrive, because the almost-pizzas are almost inedible, and nearly guaranteed to give you heartburn.

Crystal Palace : Southern-style food among Winnie the Pooh characters. Always a good place to people watch and prepare for your next coronary.

Diamond Horseshoe (pre-covid) : You have probably made every dish here at home at one point or another, and done it better than the ‘professionals’ here.

The Plaza Restaurant : Great dessert restaurant. Try and ignore the fact that they technically serve things other than dessert.

Columbia Harbour House : Their refrigerator room must be huge and clean, because I’ve never had a bad meal. Salad is crisp, seafood isn’t going to make you sick. Also, priced reasonably compared to everything else in the MK.

Skipper Canteen : Unique food for the MK - if you want to sit down and enjoy world flavours, this is a good place to eat. They’re not afraid to season the food here, and have chefs who know what they’re doing and a menu writer with a sense of humour. The curry and thai smell can get strong at times, so if that bothers you, stay away.

Pecos Bill : I didn’t expect much from theme park nachos, but Pecos Bill delivers. A pleasant surprise, with some meals large enough to easily feed multiple people. The meat is not quite chipotle quality, but the cheese and other toppings don’t taste like they’ve sat in a can for a week, which is about as good as you can expect here.

I can do honest food reviews for other parks later - opinions are fun :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Nice! very helpful indeed :wink: :laughing:

We haven’t been to WDW since Covid (next planned trip is hopefully August 2022) so some of these opinions may be woefully out of date. We’re also pretty easy to please, but here goes:

MK
Be Our Guest QS: :+1: Love the atmosphere in this restaurant and we’ve always enjoyed it as a nice lunch break. Do they still have the vegetable quiche? That was my daughter’s favourite.

Columbia Harbour House: Have had good meals here. Also a nice location.

Pecos Bill: We like the fajitas with all of the toppings. Not sure how the topping bar works now in Covid times. Guessing you ask for toppings when you order?

Gaston’s Tavern: :+1: Get the cinnamon roll! It’s the size of my head and absolutely delicious.

HS:
ABC Commissary: Decent food. We liked the salads. Not much atmosphere.

Starbucks: :+1: Carrot cake cookie!! An absolute must.

Mama Melrose: Meh. There are much better places to have Italian food at WDW. We did it for the Fantasmic dining package, but I wouldn’t bother going back.

AK:
Pizzafari: Okay pizza, nothing special. Cute decor.

Satuli Canteen: :+1: :+1: My favourite QS on property. Excellent meal.

Tusker House: Decent buffet. Good characters. Probably better for families with younger kids.

Epcot
Sunshine Season: Good variety of choices but I would always pick something in World Showcase over this.

Les Halles Boulangerie: :+1: :+1: We love this one. So many great bakery options both savoury and sweet. My kids insist on having lunch here at least once.

Akershus: Did this ten years ago so my then 4 year old could meet the princesses. Worth it for that but the food was definitely the worst I have had at WDW.

La Hacienda de San Angel: :+1: :+1: My favourite restaurant in Epcot. As a group of 4, we get the two different platters for 2 and share. Delicious. And the margaritas are awesome!

Teppan Edo: :+1: My two teenagers love this one. Good food and an entertaining show from the chef.

Via Napoli: :+1: Love the pizza (I always get the 4 cheese one) and the zeppole for dessert. Although it appears that the zeppole is gone from the most recent menu (BOO!).

Resorts:
Sanaa: :+1: :+1: Probably my favourite restaurant in WDW. Get the bread service. I also suggest sharing two entrees between three or four people. With the bread, it’s a lot of food.

Whispering Canyon Cafe: Awesome location. Food was decent. We’re not huge BBQ fans so it was good but not great.

Ohana: :+1: Really like it here. Great food every time we’ve gone for supper.

Kona Cafe: :+1: We’ve only done breakfast here but I’m a big fan of the Tonga Toast and everyone else loved the Macadamia Pancakes.

2 Likes

DHS honest food review is short - there are about 20 pop-up QS restaurants at any given time. Any of the varieties of pizzas, burgers, or seafood should be avoided.

Woody’s Lunchbox : The hidden gem of DHS QS. The meat is different here than any other restaurant, and tastes about two degrees better quality. Totchos (if cooked properly) are surprising and tasty. It’s not fancy, but food here is usually made properly. Even better in chillier weather, as there is soup.

Sci-Fi Dine-in theatre : On hot days, there’s nothing like sitting in the dark in a car to cool down and relax. Try not to fall asleep while you wait an indeterminate amount of time for you food to be made. Shakes are thick and rich (just like the 50’s diner). The burgers are… ehh… not special and overpriced. Still, they taste good enough and sitting in dark and cool means they stay tasting fresh all the way through to the end of your meal. Sort of worth it.

50s diner : Menu shrunk post-covid. It used to be VERY hit or miss on whether or not your cook seasoned your food or not. Now, only the safe generic dishes remain. If you like fried chicken, meatloaf, or pot roast, and want to see what a theme park does with them, this has a nice atmosphere and fun staff. If you have these enough at home, it’s safely skippable.

Mama Melrose : The pasta dishes here are often overcooked, but the meats are good. Having to avoid pasta at an Italian restaurant leaves you with about 3 menu choices, but they’re all pretty good. Price isn’t too bad for theme park sit-down meals.

Hollywood & Vine + Brown Derby : Both of these are very very expensive both in money and time. You’ll be here a while and pay the price, but leave full and taste some top quality foods. I haven’t eaten at either one very often due to the factors above, but every dish looked fresh while I was there and smelled fantastic. It’s just not worth it to me, but your experience may vary.

All of Galaxy’s Edge : If you’re getting food here, you’re doing it wrong. Get a drink or two, enjoy yourself, eat elsewhere. Docking Bay 7 has potential, but every time I’ve been there so far it’s like a cook read the description and made a meal without ever actually haven eaten the food before. It reminds me of a neighbourhood barbecue potluck where you don’t really know all of the neighbours.

7 Likes

I want you all to know that I’m judging you all as people based on your reviews… :kissing_closed_eyes:

13 Likes

I do that too :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: b/c anyone that says Y & Y is good can’t be trusted :kissing_heart:

4 Likes

That’s always the danger when sharing opinions. :clown_face:

2 Likes