Is Walt Disney world going to close

And we all thought Bob Iger was a dummy.

“Here Chapek! Have fun! I’m out!”

2 Likes

I agree. At least until May. My wishful thinking is hoping they’ll be back open by then. My trip is May 1-9. I wonder how crazy busy parks will be if indeed May 1 is the first day they’re reopened.

I find it impossible to believe that the parks would reopen in 2 weeks. I hope I’m wrong but I have a feeling this will take months. Also, slightly off topic but I think the number of cases in the US is far, far higher than what is known and will continue to rise. To be clear this is based on nothing but a hunch. The way this has been handled at the highest level of govt is disastrous…

6 Likes

When the mention of closed until May was brought up it occurred to me…They have extended the waiver on all cancellation fees until June, could they be planning a June re-opening? Even July?

1 Like

I think there are a lot of people trying to move their vacations, even some of those who have one in May. I’m sure they are just trying to be as accommodating as possible. I wouldn’t read too much into it. I’m sure they will take it one step at a time. My TA thinks we should be good for our May trip when I asked her about a back up trip (I scheduled one anyway for June).

On the President’s press conference, one of the journalists just essentially asked the doctors “how long” and they said it really depends on how successful we are at “flattening the curve.” They said if we’re successful, maybe 7, 8 weeks, if we’re not, months. This is just my paraphrase, but it doesn’t sound good.

2 Likes

I’m really curious how they think shutting down everything for months is going to work for society as a whole. There is more to it than just private business and how much money they will lose. There are special needs kids that need services that they will not get. There are people that are going to lose their jobs and livelihood. This is just crazy.

1 Like

it is crazy, i agree. i would suspect special needs kids will still get the services they need though. Social workers are still social working. They don’t get to work from home. Vulnerable people who receive social services still need those services, and as long as they do, they’ll continue to be serviced. No one is banning those who provide individual services from working.

I actually am one of those social workers. So far, I am still doing visits. At this point our therapists are continuing to go out as well. But if the state decides to put a stop to it, then yes, they will lose those services. I work with kids under 3. However kids 3 and older will not get their services because schools and our IU are closed. If they have private services through their insurance that could continue at this point. I’m sure emergency situations will get taken care of, but these kids will be affected.

3 Likes

hey, me too! We are still doing in-person visits. But, you’re right, that is “for now.” And could change any time. This is unprecedented. We’ll have to wait and see.

2 Likes

Or supplies. This is our only concern with all this hoopla. It started when we found out the skyrocketing prices of latex gloves very early on in this. Glad we’ve accumulated a surplus of some necessities, but we are still worried about it. It makes us all the more aware of how precarious our situation is if something truly serious happened, like nuclear war. Our son’s life depends on certain supply chains.

5 Likes

I arrive May 2. This is also on my mind. If open, will it be insanely busy? I am taking my kids out of school to try to lessen crowd levels for our first trip. Ugh. But unless every rescheduled person starts to declare their new intentions, it’s completely unknown.

1 Like

It’s the only thing we have in terms of slowing this thing down.

The economy will suffer horribly.

But money ain’t everything and people’s lives matter

10 Likes

That’s a person trying to be positive and kind. They can’t really know. But I DO hope that is correct. I’m a May visitor too.

Same here. I do not fear the illness. I fear supply chain interruptions

5 Likes

I also wonder…let’s say they open even by end of April so May visitors can proceed…do they open full force? Are characters out? I’ve read that it could be partial…open in increments. With my littles not being experienced riders, I just can’t do this unless it’s full on. Characters, rides, experiences, etc. I don’t know what they’ll prefer, and it’s just not cheap enough to throw my hands up and wing it with leas options.

I thought she was as well, but as I said I booked my back up trip on Disney’s website. I hope she’s right though.

I would go with partial open.

But we are fortunate to go at least annually and often more.

By then it will feel good just to get out of dodge and relax a while.

1 Like

I’m not talking about the overall economy, I’m talking about individual people. The intent of this situation is not to stop the virus, but slow it down. But do we slow it down so much that it wrecks people financially, mentally, physically and/or emotionally? As you said, people’s lives matter. We still need money to pay for the basic necessities. There needs to be a happy medium.

1 Like

I was just thinking about this, too. There are probably a lot of projects that can be expedited with empty parks and available cast members (in small groups). It will be interesting to see if/how they take advantage of this time. Maybe get some marketing photos done of an empty park?

It’s also a bad case of “be careful what you wish for” for anyone who was worried about the castle refurb going on during their trip. :see_no_evil: It might get done faster now but maaaan, not worth all this!

1 Like