Is Walt Disney world going to close

Interesting they are keeping the resorts and disney springs open. The fact I may be able to fly and use the accommodation could affect trying to get a refund or ability to change my dates. Our vacation is a package and I hope the fact that the parks are closed will be enough to make changes?

Theyā€™ve already announced they are waiving change fees on packages, so you should be good to reschedule.

2 Likes

I tried to log in to figure out my best option for rescheduling and got nowhere. Figured I would give it a few days and then try again.

Thatā€™s reassuring. Iā€™ll continue to watch this space!

Over here at DLR they are also closing the hotels, but not until the16th, while the parks are closing on the 14th.

1 Like

Is Universal going to be open? Any news?

Itā€™s closing on the 15th (the parks, but not the resorts and not CityWalk).

So not even anything to do in Orlando. I wonder if the beaches will be packed.

Anyone know the logic behind the current end date? Just a nice a neat date to use or is there science behind the 2 weeks?

Not necessarily:

1 Like

Probably just a baby step move. They donā€™t want to close any longer than necessary, and they have the option of extending it if they decide to. They really donā€™t have enough information to plan any farther ahead than that.

Itā€™s also fair to say at this point that the panic has become a crisis in and of itself. Even if a business or other entity is convinced the threat is negligible, they have to be cognizant of the appearance of indifference. Businesses donā€™t want to damage their brand or be sued, and politicians donā€™t want to be run out of office because of the perception (true or not) that they failed to take appropriate action.

3 Likes

Does anyone think the parks will reopen on 4/1?

Iā€™m looking at you, Shanghai, Tokyo, Hong Kong - all still closed many weeks laterā€¦ Iā€™m not super hopeful that this will end after 2 weeks

Thoughts?

6 Likes

I agree with you. I just really HOPE it doesnā€™t play out that wayā€¦but I kind of fear the writingā€™s on the proverbial wall.

ETA: I canā€™t help but feel that with the availability of test kits now coming on line, we are going to see a massive uptick in reported cases. This will contribute to a kind of/sort of unreasonable fear that it is getting worse really fast, which means the April 1 date would be pushed out.

1 Like

If I had to bet Iā€™d place on the parks being closed till May.

1 Like

Im starting to come around to my backup plan for late May. We could ride SE right before it closes, and hopefully Remyā€™s if it opens in time. This got me to thinking about refurbs. I wonder if they will be able to accelerate some things without guests in the parks during the day. Iā€™m thinking about the Castle re-painting and things like that, which Iā€™m sure they focus more work during the third shift right now. Just thinking out loud here. I also wonder if Disney will push hard to reopen the US parks because as it is right now, that entire division of the company is about to have zero revenue. I know nothing about how the company operates, but it seems to me that could be disastrous if it persists for more than a month or so.

Domestic parks have been Big Disneyā€™s piggy bank for several years now. This is going to reverberate strenuously through the company.

1 Like

I also think with Chapek at the helm now, there will be more of a push to get the parks open as soon as possible.

Can you tell Iā€™m hoping my April trip will still happen? Lolā€¦

3 Likes

Iā€™m going at the end of April. Hoping itā€™s still going to happen but I guess weā€™ll see!

3 Likes

Iā€™m hoping so too. I donā€™t want to cancel two trips (just canceled March last night).

Since they have to pay the employees, might as well get the work done faster. I expect they will take advantage of it, unless prohibited by some state mandate.

Less than zero, really. They are still paying their employees even though most of them wonā€™t be doing anything. Basically, they are bleeding money now.

4 Likes