In room cooking ideas for light meals

Hot dogs in a kettle?

2 Likes

We also donā€™t like coffee flavored tea! We travel many places with a 1 L kettle in our check in luggage. The kettle heats lots of water quickly for tea, hot cocoa, cider, instant oatmeal, cup noodles, etc.

In addition to whatā€™s already listed, my family also like cereal, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, and hard boiled eggs for breakfast. We have been known to take into the parks rolled up lunch meat and cheese with crackers for lunch.

One year, we had so much prime rib leftover from our dinner at Storybook Dining, we ate it with bowl noodles and bagged spinach, all heated in the bowl noodles with water from our kettle! It was a simple, yet satisfying meal after so many days of eating out.

3 Likes

Whatever you plan, know that the fridges in standard rooms donā€™t have freezer compartments so donā€™t rely on getting anything that needs to be kept frozen.

Some people on chat swear by air fryers and bring them on vacation.

1 Like

We brought a sandwich maker and an electric kettle to Pop Century last year. I checked and the power requirements were on par with the coffee maker. We just made sure to keep things neat and put the Sandwich maker away before we left for the day. We made tuna melts and grilled cheese sandwiches.

2 Likes

Sure. A kettle makes boiling water which is all you need to heat up a hot dog.

1 Like

Iā€™m all for saving a few bucksā€¦butā€¦Iā€™m not really sure how many bucks youā€™ll end up saving buy trying to cook something in your room like this. Yes, youā€™ll save someā€¦but is it enough to be worth the hassle? Getting some food items that donā€™t actually require heating seems reasonable (bread, peanut butter and jam, that kind of thing).

I say this because my wife and I had intended to do relatively a lot of cooking in our DVC 1 bedroom with full kitchen. We didā€¦but in the end, the amount of money it saved us versus just finding something cheap to snack on instead was fairly minimal.

Having said that, it probably is more worth it if you are feeding more than a couple people.

4 Likes

Suggestions:
Plenty of shelf stable and canned things that you like for the microwave. Those hormel stew type things are shelf stable single serving sizes. Iā€™d bet other companies make similar things.

Shelf stable milk boxes - the ones that come in individual sizes or quart / liter sizes. You can buy several, and only put them in the fridge when you need them to save space.

Jar of peanut butter and jelly, loaf of bread.

A few nice loaves of a decent crusty bread, and lunchmeats with condiments that you enjoy for good hearty sandwiches.

A personal fave for me would be buying fully cooked, grilled chicken strips or steak strips, and having a stack of GOOD instant ramen, like a Shin Premium Roasted flavor.

If I were bringing a Foreman, I might be thinking quesadillas with aforementioned grilled chicken/steak. Avocados can be left on the counter for ripening. Iā€™m not a fan of jarred salsa for the most part, but if you can find ā€œHerdezā€ brand, itā€™s surprisingly edible, and they can be found in small cans. Tortillas, avocado, salsa on the shelf / cheese meat in the fridge.

If you can instacart a whole roasted chicken, you can pull the meat in your room at the desk, then store the pulled meat in a ziplock for the fridge for use.

If you are staying for weeks, one trick will be to balance fridge space between multiple deliveries. Iā€™d have a menu planned out for each delivery for the balancing act. Iā€™d also plan on balancing vegetables/fruits that wonā€™t necessarily need immediate refrigeration, like if I ordered some broccoli crowns, I could probably get away with not refrigerating them for a day, so I could get them with a delivery order, then I could plan on using them the next day for a meal, like ramen with added chicken, and broccoli.

Just also be VERY realistic about doing this stuff in the room. Space / counterspace / utensils are at a huge premium.

Pack a cutting board and a good knife!

Adding as I think about thingsā€¦

One FIRE silly dessert, totally shelf stable:
Little Debbie type snack cake of your choice, topped with one of those shelf stable pudding flavors of your choice, topped with nuts of your choice - cashews and pecans for me. Storebought brownies work well, and are better, but only last a few days.

Apples are ok for a few days. Apples + Peanut butter - great snack, imo.

Light breakfasts in room are a mainstay for my fam. We always have a few boxes of semi healthy cereal, or at least one that implies that it is healthy, like those Special K Fruit&Yogurt ones. Weā€™l have disposable paper bowls, and put the single serve shelf stable milks in the fridge the night before. Sliced bananas are a great option for us with this.

Iā€™d also consider buying a $5.00 styrofoam cooler. Free ice at the resort. If you know what you are doing, you can extend your refrigeration space with it. Expect leakage if you do. Iā€™d use the plastic bags from the grocery deliver to hold the ice, and a put a pool towel under the cooler. I also wouldnā€™t place the cooler in a carpeted area just to be safe.

3 Likes

I have asked WDW this question on appliances before I wanted to bring a toasterā€¦their answer. Small personal appliances are not allowed in disney world resort rooms at all. It is subject to florida state fire code statutes. If they find out you are using one in your room you will get a visit from security and you can be removed from the resort. Do people still do it? Sureā€¦but I would risk being that one person that got caught.

1 Like

Iā€™m impressed you thought to ask. I never even dreamt it was possibly not allowed.

I think itā€™s just crap every room doesnā€™t have a microwave. Every Holiday Inn and Best Western Iā€™ve been in has a microwave, coffee maker, and real fridge. Even the nasty motel in Williamsburg last year had all of those items.

3 Likes

Yeahā€¦I always ask those things. I work in a hospital and help out with compliance with governing agencies. I am very focused on liability lol. There are soooo many little things that have to be considered that normal folk dont thinknofā€¦ I have not seen the fire code myself so only heresayā€¦i will say that i am sure their sprinkler system in hotel room may not be set up for use of small apliances in the area. I would hate to set that off in a hotel room I am staying at :grimacing:

2 Likes

I agree with youā€¦but I also understand why. Those Holiday Inns nor Best Westerns, etc., havenā€™t any financial incentive for NOT providing them, unlike Disney. Disney sees their guests as captive audiences, and providing them a microwave means those guests will potentially spend less on food elsewhere on property.

I donā€™t disagree with you at all.
But, I always think of those times when the entire floor REEKS of burnt popcorn. And all you can do is sigh. If itā€™s not TOO bad, you can laugh it off, but when itā€™s BAD, itā€™s annoying a.f.

2 Likes

Am I the only person thinking about the episode of The Office where Michael grilled his foot? Just imagining @stustaff waking up to the smell of bacon cooking on his George Foreman grillā€¦

2 Likes

This is where I know myself well enough to wish OP the best and duck :duck: out of the thread - I wonā€™t have any useful contributions going forward. :wink:

Especially with the room security checks.

Whoever was using it forgets to put it back in its hiding spot - or you have to leave before itā€™s cool enough to - OR youā€™re using it when they come for the check and itā€™s game over.

1 Like

I totally forgot about those security checks. We just had one while staying at AKL. We were on the balcony and I turned around and he was standing in our room ! He was super nice and said when he saw us he got our attention not to scare usā€¦he said he knocked but I didnt hear him so he entered.:woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

This is why you use that extra lock thingy once you are in your room.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s how I knew they had tried to enter my room while I was taking a nap in December. The little arm thingy was fully extended out.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s what I would be afraid of: sleeping or showering and them entering :scream:

2 Likes

I definitely do that when traveling, especially by myself.

4 Likes