I'm a Florida resident, ask me anything

@Outer1

It’s really kinda outta hand, imo.
But, whatya gonna do?

You are agreeing that if your traveling around these parts, just get a sunpass? No?

Well mine was mostly sarcasm. I haven’t lived in Orlando for about 15 years. If you’re interested in getting out and see anything that isn’t just tourist attractions off the I-4 corridor it probably wouldn’t hurt. Even if you try to avoid toll roads you’ll inevitably end up on a toll road.

1 Like

I agree. And now they have toll roads without pay stations at the turnpike. It’s rather confusing, I have even seen people try to back up, like drive in reverse, when the change their minds about the on ramps at these spots.
With a sunpass, you’re free to move about the cabin, and you won’t be receiving mailed out toll bills at $2.50 a pop… on top of the actual toll fee.

1 Like

I’m still waiting on a bill from our trip to Texas last year where there are NO toll booths anymore.

Uhg. Good times. Just don’t forget to pay them! That’s where my husband gets himself into trouble.

1 Like

Cocoa Beach always makes me think of “I Dream of Jeannie”!

1 Like

!!!VERY IMPORTANT MARINE UPDATE!!!

If you are reading along, and are currently in the Orlando area and also considering a drive west to Sarasota or Manatee County (which includes Bradenton and Anna Maria Island) specifically for the Gulf beaches… DO NOT BOTHER

These coastal communties are currently experiencing HIGH red tide levels making the beaches unfit for swimming or even visiting. This is especially important to individuals with any respiratory illness or conditions.

This information is accurate as of today 9/26/16… this situation will be ongoing but should clear in the coming weeks. I will update this reply when the beaches have returned to their previous quality.

1 Like

Yes, we don’t believe in employing people here. Toll booth operators, or even places to toss coins, would be an unnecessary expense for the international company contracted by our former governor (now on Dancing with the Stars) to run our very, very bad toll roads.

1 Like

Oh the actual roads were a dream to drive on. Smooth and easy to get around. Of course I’m comparing them to Oklahoma where toll money up and evaporates like a fart in the wind because somehow the toll road never gets paid off and sure isn’t getting any improvements.

No offense to any Arkansans on the boards, but I have always found their roads to be the most jarring.

Our toll road with the highest speed limit in the country just went bankrupt. How can that happen? Bad, bad management. SH 130 Toll Road Operator Files for Bankruptcy | The Texas Tribune

1 Like

And twisty and winding and please don’t let me fall of this cliff’y.

That is brilliant, thank you. All of it is the type of thing we’d be interested in. We are meeting DIL’s for lunch in a couple of weeks, so I will find out their plans for us. Holmes beach is part of their address, after that it just says Florida and lots of numbers. We are very lucky as our flights are a Christmas present from DIL’s. 20 years ago at Uni I was a Dali fan, one year I had over 50 prints bluetacked to my walls. A seafood restaurant on the Island with a good view would probably be at the top of my list of things to do. I love the pictures, especially the thin bridge, my girls would love that. Thank you again your help is much appreciated. I’ve bookmarked the page, now I just need to print or copy it.

1 Like

Oh man, it sounds like you would LOVE the dali museum!! Some of the art is like floor to ceiling size. You see one thing up close, and something entirely different from far away.
Happy to help and glad I got some options of interest for you!! Safe travels

1 Like

It seems Disney has tried to make Disney Springs attractive to Florida residents as well as vacationers. Two new huge parking garages tell me they want crazy crowds for their nighttime entertainment and shopping. Would you ever consider a trip for your next shopping spree?

1 Like

Very unlikey.
I’m not a big shopper and I’m cheap.
Frugal? Maybe that’s better.
There are too many places nearer me for nightlife and shopping if I get a wild hair than to drive that far over.
Disney is about 3 hour drive for me.

1 Like

Omg. I would NEVER think to put my child on an alligator. Wow. I’m of the mindset that a healthy distance from a wild animal is the best policy. :smiley: The only other place I’ve seen alligators in the wild is in Costa Rica. We did a couple boat tours and got to see them swimming around. I think they are crazy and neat animals…but again…from a healthy distance.

Anyways, thank you so much for your detailed answer! I really appreciate it. I’m stoked to be swimming with manatees. Like…it’s a bucket list item for me. Hence the 2 hour round trip to do so. I’ve heard of Homosassa Springs, so it was awesome to get a little more perspective on it. I really want to do an airboat tour. We just don’t have those things in Washington State.

My daughter would probably prefer the zoo over the space center. If the weather is good, we will likely hit up the beach. She’s a beach nut. We were on the Oregon coast in July and it was about 55 degrees, raining and windy. She was still in the water and digging holes for sandcastles. Ha!

1 Like

Someone along the way in this feed mentioned the beautiful photos from the “secret” beach. I couldn’t take the credit… I decided to add some photos that I have taken from around Florida. Description below each photo.
For your viewing pleasure :slight_smile:
(ps. totally not a photographer. I have a camera phone, I take photos sometimes)

Taken several years back when I lived on the river.

A shot near the Gumbo Limbo tree on the grounds of Desoto National Memorial.

Vine cave covered in flowers (you can’t see those from the inside) on a Florida fruit farm.

Pier and Gazebo at Lochaloosa Lake and boat launch.

Random sunrise while heading to somewhere in Florida. I honestly don’t recall.

Just after a storm passed. A boat launch located in Saint Petersburg, Florida.

Gazebo and garden located at Palma Sola Botanical Garden.

Sunset while driving over the Skyway Bridge.

Not a real sign found anywhere in Florida, but it’s funny, right? Also, very good advice.

Banyan Tree showing its great perseverance. Somewhere Florida. I don’t recall exactly.

Looking up at the tree top walk and look out tower located in Myakka State Park, Sarasota, Fl.

In the look out tower at Myakka, Sarasota, Fl

Sunset on the river, taken from Palmetto, Florida.

One of the walking paths located at Robinson Preserve in Bradenton, Florida.

Dragonfly in swamp. Everglades National Park.

One of the piers at the Bradenton Riverwalk, in Bradenton Florida.

7 Likes

So beautiful! Thank you! This is one of my all time favorite threads!

2 Likes

@PrincipalTinker, I get the impression you are a veteran of these boards… as such, I take your reply as a HUGE compliment. :blush: thank you.

2 Likes

Well Forum Friends,
Today is the day!! This tiny ship hits the high seas… traveling over tonight and first park day TOMORROW!!
Looks like there may be some rough weather ahead, if you’re the type, please say a little prayer that our first ever family Disney trip won’t be washed out.
SEE YOU ALL NEXT WEEK!!
all the best, weeship.

8 Likes