I Just Rode RAT. Ok, Not Actually

Why would that outrage anyone? Even if true? If someone is truly desperate enough to pay for an APR on top of their ticket and Genie+ and LL$, that’s on them. Especially now that there’s no “special dates” after 10/1. If I would learn someone did that, I would actually feel sorry for them.

No, the whole source of my “outrage” (and I’m only using that term now as it’s the buzz-word) was the general notion of people being told “don’t do this” and then they do it.

These blogger sites do it ALL THE TIME to get those clicks, and then standard guests do it cause they see it can be done. And it annoys me because it just makes the CM’s jobs that much more difficult.

1 Like

And I can see why MDE would need to know this as well. Can the guest leverage a second mortgage against their house to pay for LL$?

3 Likes

I think it’s standard practice

Just adding that DFB posted a ride preview for RAT themselves today on IG. So I think the theory that the first thing was an embargoed media event, and the embargo lifted today is a good one.

I was really looking forward to Tron. Even this roller coaster wimp, who’d never ride Everest or get on Space Mountain again, thought that I’d be OK on a “motorbike”. And that it would be kind of like test track, fast, banking and a few up and down movements.

Then the other day I paid attention to some photos of some “pull through” testing …… :scream: Some of those drops look like sheer drops. My brain went into overdrive, if I’m “secured” from the back I’m going over the handle bars as I head face first down that track.

And so that’s a no from me. I actually feel really disappointed, even miserable, about it. I had never really noticed how intense it’s going to be.

There’s just a glimmer of hope because the ride vehicle is on a platform, like BTMR. I think only Everest and Space have a 48” height requirement at WDW. Soon to be joined by Tron and I assume GotG (which I definitely won’t ride).

2 Likes

Completely agree. Loved the first movie - stoked about a ride. But Splash is too much drop, so Tron is probably not happening.

I sometimes entertain the idea of how much money would it take to experience Tower of Terror. My stomach flops at the thought of anything less than 6 figures, and even then it’s trying to flop.
:smirk:

1 Like

Curious…have you watched any on ride YouTube videos of the one in Shanghai? I don’t remember there being significant drops…but maybe I will have to watch again to be sure.

My big concern with Tron is that the ride capacity won’t be high enough to match demand, so it will be yet another ride with huge waits. And I keep waiting for the rumor to come to fruition that SM is going to completely gutted and redone after Tron opens…which is good and fine (it needs a redo), but will only add to the strain on Tron.

3 Likes

It’s a “real” roller coaster. No upsidedowns and all of it is under cover and indoors so no HUGE drops but it had dips as I remember it. But mostly it’s about speed and racing the other tron bikes (the other color) and sorta like Hagrid but instead of sitting up you’re lying down which makes it feel scarier.

5 Likes

Ratatouille looks fun to me, but along the same lines as MMRR, except not as cool. It will probably lose the BG within a few months. I’m glad there is another kids ride at Epcot though.

3 Likes

That’s a Disney MDE coding error … it’s supposed to be ADR.

1 Like

So we have to pay for dining reservations soon?

Now that wouldn’t surprise me

I think it was jest. But honestly it wouldn’t surprise me

Funnily enough I have watched ride throughs and it looked OK to me. But there’s no disguising the track for Tron has some steep drops. They’ll be over in a flash, since the whole ride is under 2 minutes, but they’re still there.

I agree 100% with @janamelia. The drop on Splash is too much for me. I rode it last time sitting in the back of a boat with youngest DS . As we approached the drop I slid down in the seat and braced myself against the back of the seat in front. I might ride it again but not certain.

My concern with Tron is that it will go the way of Rise and Rat. BG and the LL+ only, no standby. Let’s face it, if Rat is having BGs, then Tron certainly will.

4 Likes

Amazing how, for close to 30 years, people just went to the parks, waited in whatever the line was for a given attraction, and the earth still revolved around the sun, and the sun rose daily in the east.

3 Likes

30 years ago, wait times rarely exceeded 30 minutes for any ride (at least, in my experience). Times have changed.

Personally, I am not afraid of long waits. At Cedar Point, waits of 60-90 minutes are norm. But then…those rides are way more exciting.

Even so, wait times at the newest rides in WDW have been having astronomical wait times…at times.

So…we go during lower CL time periods.

There’s a video somewhere that talks about the ride and vehicles. In the USA version the vehicles are slightly different in that there are some that are side by side. Ali key looks intense on POV videos too and it’s anything but.

I went to Disney close to 30 years ago. Waits were definitely more than 30 minutes for many of the attractions. I was a teenager and remember having to spend time with my family in line. :laughing:

I’ve heard stories of the line being hours long to ride the Superdooperlooper at HersheyPark when it opened in 1977. My mom has talked about waiting in line for the Comet at that park for quite some time as well. She hasn’t ridden it since she was a teenager.

I’ve gone to HersheyPark since I was a kid. There were definitely lines that were long than 30-60 minutes. I waited an hour for the old Canyon River Rapids (RIP) as a teenager.

Long lines have been a part of amusement parks since they have been open.

Edited to add a link about the wait time.

1 Like

I didn’t say “30 years ago,” I said “for close to 30 years.” Fastpass was introduced in 1999, or 28 years after WDW opened. Aside from a VIP tour, which was hardly known in those days, there was no way to skip the line.

Space Mountain, 20000 Leagues Under the Sea, Jungle Cruise, even the Country Bear Jamboree had hour-plus waits in the early days. I waited in many of those lines. And unlike relatively recent times, there was no sign giving an estimate of how long the wait was. If one lucked out, an experienced CM might be able to estimate based on how long the line was.

2 Likes

I remember waiting in lines w/ my family when I was younger too. I don’t remember signs w/ wait times posted, I don’t remember tracking the time… I do remember my feet aching after a time :joy: No one thought about the wait. If we wanted to ride something we got in the line and waited, joked around, laughed etc. Some lines were shorter than others but I don’t remember noticing.

I was there in 1971 w/ paper tickets and then back again over and over the years. Perspective helps :wink: I think timing the lines makes waiting worse :thinking:

1 Like