I Just Rode RAT. Ok, Not Actually

I thought I’d seen a ride through with side by side bikes. Either way it looked fine on the video, it’s the photos of the actual track that have me concerned.

What is Ali key? Wondering if that’s a typo or something I’ve not heard of.

1 Like

Hahaha. That was autocorrect. Slinky

3 Likes

Gotta love autocorrect. :joy::joy:

Slinky is a maybe for me. I managed the Legoland dragon, albeit with some trepidation. Way too much open track for me, the fear of falling out is increased exponentially when I can see it’s possible. Whereas BTMR is fine, nowhere to fall far.

2 Likes

We’ve become an instant gratification society. Even people who were alive then and waited in those lines find them intolerable now. I’m guilty of it sometimes too, although this particular genie thing neither upsets me nor intrigues me.

5 Likes

I think it’s also about opportunity. If you can see a way to “skip the line” it’s far more frustrating to wait than a line that literally everyone has to wait in if they want to do that ride today. The choice between wait-forever or don’t ride feels different than wait-forever or something you can’t afford or don’t ride. Having an option that isn’t feasible for you (because of money or time or really anything) makes it harder to watch other people taking advantage of that option, especially when you have an awareness that their ability to exercise that option makes your wait longer.

FastPass+ was free and the illusion was that everyone had the same opportunity (3 per day), so if others chose to use it on different rides than you did, it still seemed fair. Now, we Liners know that there were a lot of things going on behind the scenes that make it a lot less fair (on-site earlier booking window, paid Club level, strategies that allow people to get way more than 3 per day, etc).

Plaid tours were not well known enough, not as in-your-face, and so exorbitantly expensive as to not really factor in to most people’s awareness of it as a choice.

4 Likes

I know this was true for us. I was waiting in the line for … Hagrid’s I think. A ride without a skip-the-line option. I saw some people using another line, skipping the line I was in, and my reaction was “How do I get over there?” I later learned it was their DAS, then I didn’t worry about it.

1 Like

I agree with your thoughts. I think the main difference between MaxPass (which I liked) and Genie+ is that with MaxPass there was still a free paper option, so I didn’t feel as bad paying for the convenience of the app.

3 Likes

I (very selfishly) like the no free paper passes on Genie+. It means less people trying to get those ride reservations. If I were a better person, I’d probably think differently. But, I can totally see DD and I wanting to ride Frozen 5 times in a row (DH bailing after the first) on a Med. Crowd day. That thought brings me too much joy to feel bad about being selfish.

1 Like

I think this is very insightful…that psychological element.

1 Like