Hurricane Season 2022 & other weather warnings 🐛

Interesting. Rain expectations increasing.

Trying to remember who all to tag in that part of TX…
@kerrilux_625778
@bmscott
@NoBellePrizeWinner

And possibly @drvillarejos in Louisiana?

Am I forgetting anyone?!?

Just a general heads up to @ehsanchez and @gingerSnaps543222 too, I guess.

7 Likes

Thanks for the heads up! I think maybe @Sophia818 and @DeepInTheHeartofTexas might be in the area too.

4 Likes

Thanks! I saw this post today, too. Apparently we’ve had around 4" of rain in my area in the last two days alone. As long as it’s not all coming down in a few hours I think we’ll be fine. Praying that this rain works more towards busting the drought instead of floods. Hopefully none of that 15"-20" mess between Dallas and Shreveport materializes in an overwhelming way!

4 Likes

Yup! We’re in DFW. Thanks for the heads up @kerrilux_625778 and @amvanhoose_701479! We literally just went 90+ days without any measurable precipitation and now to be looking at next week’s forecast feels a bit unreal.

7 Likes

We drove through the DFW area a few weeks ago and I was surprised to see how much worse the drought is up there than it is down here. I hated seeing trees dead from no water in 110 degree heat.

4 Likes

It’s still not even a tropical depression yet, apparently. Minor street flooding expected. Those along the rivers could have some issues, though, depending on rainfall patterns in the different watersheds.

2 Likes

We were looking forward to it, but it seems the rain predictions have dropped, but I guess it is better than nothing. We will still get rain though.

Looks like when I go to bed Sunday will be the first open windows day. I love that, get fresh air in the house.

4 Likes

It’s been a brutal summer. :persevere:

3 Likes

My niece in Austin sent this photo of a boat ramp at Lake Travis. I only know it was taken this summer.

She says they started getting rain Thursday, with lots of wrecks due to the oil on the roads from so many days of no-rain. The wind that came before the rain kicked up so much dust, visibility was poor.

4 Likes

|800x0

The tropical outlook as of 8 a.m. Sunday, Aug. 21, 2022. (National Hurricane Center)

After yet another system failed to organize into a tropical depression or storm over the weekend in the Gulf of Mexico, the National Hurricane Center is looking at a new system with the potential to develop in the Atlantic Ocean.

As of the NHC’s 8 a.m. tropical outlook, a tropical wave located near the Cabo Verde Islands is producing disorganized showers and thunderstorms as it moves west into the tropical Atlantic.

“Environmental conditions are expected to be marginally conducive for gradual development of this system while it moves westward to west-northwestward at 15 to 20 mph across the eastern and central tropical Atlantic during the early to middle part of this week,” according to the outlook.

Aug 21st - NHC tracks two weak disturbances with a low chance of development over the next 5 days. Elsewhere, fresh to locally strong SW #winds & #seas up to 9 ft have developed along & just south of the monsoon trough from 06N-10N b/w 120W & 125W. More at http://hurricanes.gov/marine pic.twitter.com/WfI4ZARlhH

— NHC_TAFB (@NHC_TAFB) August 21, 2022

The NHC gives the system a 20% chance to form into a depression or the next named tropical storm in the next five days.

2 Likes

|800x0

Tropics outlook Aug. 22 (The National Hurricane Center)

A tropical wave in the east Atlantic had its odds of development increase Monday afternoon as it pushes west toward the Caribbean, according to the National Hurricane Center.

A tropical wave, which formed Sunday, is located a few hundred miles west of the Cabo Verde Islands and moving at around 15 mph. The wave has a 10% chance of forming into a depression or a tropical storm in the next two days and 30% chance of development over the next five days. As of now, it is producing more concentrated showers and thunderstorms than Monday morning.

3 Likes

Paging the following for a status check;
@kerrilux_625778 @bmscott @NoBellePrizeWinner @DeepInTheHeartofTexas @Sophia818

Here in Houston, just getting intermittent showers or downpours. The bad news is, we think we may have a sprinkler system leak and our yard isn’t drying out thoroughly enough to sort it. The good news is, it’s keeping the yard wet enough we’ve just turned off the water to the whole system and can procrastinate having to deal with it. :crazy_face:

6 Likes

Hour east of Dallas, just intermittent showers. No flooding at all.

Thanks for checking on us :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

6 Likes

We’re about 30 miles north of Dallas and haven’t had too much rain. Just on and off for the last day - nothing major thankfully!

3 Likes

We are fine. DH is digging a root cellar but hit water shockingly early. The water level isn’t even as high as it was 4 months ago. The dry time was nice for digging without water.

But then we live in an exurb NE of DFW. Ratio of open land to concrete is really good. For example our back yard neighbor is a hay field. Our elevation is good. For us to flood, it would have to be biblical.

Now the goats are traumatized. Goats hate rain and hate getting their hoofs wet. We also have a litter of kittens and even being inside-only most of them weren’t happy with their first rain storm experience.

3 Likes

Thanks for checking on us! We are good here. Dallas had crazy overnight rain and the roads this morning were horrible. Numerous people having to be rescued out of cars, reports of neck high water, etc. Fortunately for us, the biggest concern I had was how to get my kids into school without getting soaked.

5 Likes

I’m NE too…Greenville area. Also have a hay field behind us!

5 Likes

We’re good. Got soaked taking the kids into schoool this morning though.

5 Likes

Expand

|800x0

The tropical outlook as of 8 a.m. Tuesday, Aug. 23, 2022. (National Hurricane Center)

The National Hurricane Center is keeping track of one tropical wave already in the Atlantic and another expected to form off the coast of Africa both with chances to form into the season’s next tropical depression or storm.

As of the NHC’s 8 a.m. tropical outlook, the wave located several hundred miles west of the Cabo Verde Islands has fallen in chances to form since Monday as shower activity remains minimal.

“Development, if any, of this system is expected to be slow to occur during the next several days while the system moves westward to west-northwestward at 10 to 15 mph across the tropical Atlantic,” the NHC said in the outlook.

That system has only a 10% chance of formation in the next five days.

A new potential tropical wave that could form off the coast of western Africa in the far eastern Atlantic, though, has higher chances.

“Environmental conditions could support some slow development of this system late this week or over the weekend while it moves westward at 10 to 15 mph,” the NHC said.

It has a 20% chance to become a tropical system in the next five days.

2 Likes

I know I haven’t lived here very long but it sure seems like there haven’t been as many hurricanes or possible hurricanes headed our way this year. Maybe it’s just me?

2 Likes