Happy 50th Walt Disney World

Sadly, I slept late this morning. When I got to my email from ShopDisney, many things were already gone. I managed to buy a few things, though.

That’s what disney understands and why they’re successful and what chapek seems to NOT get. People don’t go extreme skiing because they love mountains, or run long distance because pounding your joints is fun, or go to the beach because sand in your shorts is cool. It’s because of the way it makes you feel.

I was chatting w my husband about which neurotransmitter disney people are deficient in, and is it the same one as people who do extreme sports :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: and then I hypothesized that we are simply a variation on a neurotype… one that doesn’t exist in a constant state of low level contentment like a more normal/boring neurotype, but rather our baseline is a more depressed state, and disney solves that problem with bursts of extreme euphoria and anticipation of said euphoria at different intervals… and that’s why you get depressed if you’re gone for too long… people who don’t get disney either have a higher baseline of contentment and don’t need those regular dopamine surges or get them another way.

Cause, you know, I had science freshman year of college :rofl::rofl::rofl:

9 Likes

Also, the two Ns. Novelty and Nostalgia.

1 Like

100% explains me!!!

Disney Depression is real,
and Disney trips are the cure!!

My DD7 almost missed the bus this morning because we were watching Live stream of MK opening. Oops!!!

Happy 50th! Stay magical!

6 Likes

Well thank goodness the Shop Disney site has the 50th anniversary soap dispenser.
Glad they didn’t bother to clutter their inventory with mugs or anything…

1 Like

6 Likes

Gah!! I love that mug!!

2 Likes

I was also late to game on ShopDisney. I actually did almost get the soap dispenser :joy: I settled instead for this. Not at all 50th related, but in 10 years or less, the nostalgia value of this will be huge.

4 Likes

Sadly the mug is not dishwasher or microwave safe.

But I bought it anyway.

2 Likes

Normally I’d steer clear of mugs like that.

This one?
Honestly I wouldn’t care if it required a shrine and the occasional ritual sacrifice, i want that 50th Anniversary mug

5 Likes

Well we had a great day at the 50th…as our focus was not popcorn buckets, food or merch :joy: Other than 40 min wait for Jungle Cruise, we pretty much walked on ever ride, max 10 min wait (including Mine Train!!) A wait would say 15 min…and be walk on. Haunted 20 min…walk on.

It was awesome. Loved the new Fireworks too - we watched from bridge by liberty square as we did not find a spot until 10 mins before start.

9 Likes

Although I could not be there, WDW and I share the same Birthday year. I am a few months older.

To celebrate, I dipped into my Disney Insiders points and ordered one of these!

8 Likes

https://twitter.com/wdwnt/status/1444497561398747139?s=21

1 Like

Lil throwback

1 Like

Oh wow! This is super neat! Loving it already.

Will watch in full later - thanks for sharing!

Did anyone else watch this special? It’s currently on Hulu and supposedly will be coming to Disney+ “later this month…” (outrageous imo)

But I actually came here to post the couple of YouTube videos it made me find. And now I’m intrigued by @Randall1028 's throwback video too! They showed quick clips of each of these during the special and I am so glad the extended versions still exist.

1 Like

I tried and I didn’t get past the intro. Their over-produced “hear what paid-celebrities think of our stuff!” stuff is like nails on a chalkboard to me.

I wanted to see an actual sorta-documentary special, showing everything the park has to offer and where it’s come from, not hear every current ABC-employed actor say scripted and generic “it’s the most magical place” monologues.

Yup there’s a thread about it :slight_smile:

1 Like

They replayed it yesterday in my area. I enjoyed it. Learned some things I didn’t know. For example,

SPOILER ALERT!!!

one of the Backstreet Boys was once a CM at HS. Or, how the carousel was built a few feet off of where it was supposed to sit, so they tore it down and rebuilt. Oh, and how Roy was adamant the park would open on October 1st. The construction company said they couldn’t get it done on time, so Disney bought a construction company. The special also helped me appreciate how much buying Pixar and Lucas films has elevated the parks. There may or may not have been tears watching the orchestra play the classics. The conductor was awesome.

3 Likes

Aww man I swear I looked!