Happy 50th Walt Disney World

https://twitter.com/wdwnt/status/1444497561398747139?s=21

1 Like

Lil throwback

1 Like

Oh wow! This is super neat! Loving it already.

Will watch in full later - thanks for sharing!

Did anyone else watch this special? It’s currently on Hulu and supposedly will be coming to Disney+ “later this month…” (outrageous imo)

But I actually came here to post the couple of YouTube videos it made me find. And now I’m intrigued by @Randall1028 's throwback video too! They showed quick clips of each of these during the special and I am so glad the extended versions still exist.

1 Like

I tried and I didn’t get past the intro. Their over-produced “hear what paid-celebrities think of our stuff!” stuff is like nails on a chalkboard to me.

I wanted to see an actual sorta-documentary special, showing everything the park has to offer and where it’s come from, not hear every current ABC-employed actor say scripted and generic “it’s the most magical place” monologues.

Yup there’s a thread about it :slight_smile:

1 Like

They replayed it yesterday in my area. I enjoyed it. Learned some things I didn’t know. For example,

SPOILER ALERT!!!

one of the Backstreet Boys was once a CM at HS. Or, how the carousel was built a few feet off of where it was supposed to sit, so they tore it down and rebuilt. Oh, and how Roy was adamant the park would open on October 1st. The construction company said they couldn’t get it done on time, so Disney bought a construction company. The special also helped me appreciate how much buying Pixar and Lucas films has elevated the parks. There may or may not have been tears watching the orchestra play the classics. The conductor was awesome.

3 Likes

Aww man I swear I looked!

It was buried waaaaaaaaaaay down by now. No worries :smiley:

1 Like

Unfortunately the first video is no longer available.

Oh weird! Must be a location based thing. I can still see it! Sorry :frowning:

Well that could definitely be true.

I see they’re getting out more merch

https://www.shopdisney.com/mickey-and-minnie-mouse-dooney-bourke-crossbody-bag-walt-disney-world-50th-anniversary-400940065310.html?isProductSearch=0&plpPosition=2&guestFacing=Accessories-Adults-Bags%2520%2526%2520Wallets

OK am I the only person who sees pins and goes… “meh”?

1 Like

Depends on the pin.
We have a decent collection here at home.

2 Likes

Usually, but I did buy quite a few of the 50th pins.

1 Like

I picked up the official 10/1 50th pin.

There was also a collection of pins for each of the original attractions. Each pin was $25 :astonished: Dd skipped the 10/1 50th pin and opted for the exclusive HM pin that is a part of this collection. Even though I am a huge Small World fan, I wasn’t all that excited about that pin. I like my 55th anniversary pin of the actual ride better.

1 Like

Then and Now, the lands of Magic Kingdom

4 Likes
4 Likes
1 Like

I hadn’t realized previously that there are 50 characters, neat. I wonder if anyone has tried a scavenger hunt type trip to find and get photos of all the statues? I know I’ve seen many in trip reports.

1 Like