Got my fast passes today with the help of a leading reservation! (changed from throwaway room)

Well, I think there is a difference. There are XXXX number of FPP for an attraction for a given time window. It is a limited resource. When XXXX is gone, there is no more. Accruing miles with your frequent flyer program is not taking miles for a XXXX limited number of miles. When one games the airlines, they are making money and you are not disadvantaging your fellow travelers, because the miles awarded are not coming out of a set number of miles, which when used up are no longer available to other flyers. When I have a reservation at a Disney resort and can go in at 60 days out and score FPPs (which I absolutely do the minute they open), those are FPP times not available to others. But that is fair: I have the reservation, I am staying on property, I get the priority because Disney set it up that way. Everyone else has the same opportunity, if they have that reservation. But when someone books a reservation to get that 60 day out opportunity just to get the FPP, they are not only breaking the rules, they are reducing the opportunities to get a FPP to other Disney visitors who are following the rules (assuming they intend to use their reservation).
No one has to agree with me: I just thought I would explain why I think there is a practical and moral difference.

6 Likes

I do not mean for this to be sarcastic in any shape or form, but I ask out of genuine curiosity, is it an actual rule? If so, I would be interested to know where it is stated.

Thanks for explaining where you are coming from. :+1:

As someone who can not afford to stay on property, I at least had an advantage by knowing more than the average guest and worked the FP system. Once they started rationing the rides, I cancelled my 2014 trip. I braved it back in 2016 with every hack I could financially swing.

Until they close the loopholes, Iā€™m going to continue to use them.

(I have never used RS and I pay for what I reserve.)

1 Like

Not true, because you eventually use the miles to book a flight, thereby taking a seat that someone else was also trying to get. You would not have gotten that seat, had you not churned for miles.

Iā€™m getting sad again ā€“ I think Iā€™ll bail. Thanks to all for the discussion, and giving me lots to think about.

The world is an arbitrary, cold, uncaring place where every attempt to create order or values is met with chaos and contradictionā€¦so letā€™s all go to Disney World!!!

3 Likes

So I personally think that 90% of this is gray area where each of us have to make our own decisions. There are many ā€œloopholesā€ that Disney could close if they wanted to like the throwaway rooms or leading reservations, etc. With the cancellation policies as they are, you arenā€™t technically breaking any ā€œrules.ā€ Itā€™s really only the out and out lying that burns my toast personally. The booking your adult as a child on the deluxe dining plan or saying you are dropping off and parking for free, etc.

This all being said, I donā€™t really understand the obsession that some people have with the ā€œhacksā€ I will call them. Listening to last weekā€™s Backside of Magic this morning one listener had written in to go over his extremely complicated plan of a leading reservation, a trailing reservation, a throw-away campsite and club level fastpasses, etc, etc. None of it was against any rules, per-say, but I actually felt bad for the poor listener that he felt it was required to have a good vacation! Yes, Disney takes a lot of planning but I donā€™t think you need 194 days for ADRs! (Which he was told wasnā€™t possible anyway.) Iā€™ve helped friends book an offsite trip at 40 days and they had a great time. I just think maybe expectations are getting a little too high these days.

9 Likes

GI would say there is a rule about FPs, yes. This is the wording from the FAQ on the website:

[B]You can choose your FastPass+ selections up to 30 days in advance of your visitā€”starting at 7:00 AM Eastern Time.

If you are staying at a Disney Resort hotel you can make your FastPass+ selections up to 60 days prior to check-in for the entire length of your stay[/B]

So staying onsite gives you the 60 day FP benefit. If you are staying onsite and umbrella in friends or family (the snow-birding grandparents is the example often used), that is your benefit of staying onsite.

So booking them at 60 days and not then staying onsite is against the rules IMO.

However, as I and others have said, Disney have chosen to close certain loopholes already. The use of unscanned magic bands for extra FPs was probably the most obvious one and, in doing so they effectively ended the major benefit of using one of the unofficial guide services offered. The guides now are really just essentially doing no more than any reasonably knowledgeable Liners!

I think this loophole may be one of the next on the list. But thatā€™s just my opinion.

It would be easy to do crudely: simply delete any FPs already booked when a reservation is cancelled. And make sure the cancellation policy is such that by cancelling in time to get a refund, you are already within the 30 day window. Make the last cancellation date 31 days ahead.

They would probably want to ensure that if there was already another reservation made for similar dates, that the FPs remained. Doable, just slightly more complicated. They wonā€™t really want to penalise someone who needed to arrive a couple of days later, or even re-booked to take advantage of a special,deal.

1 Like

Disney has over 200,000 employees worldwide with 1,000ā€™s of engineers and computer programmers. If the loop hole was easy to fix it would have been fixed a long time ago. The programming behind FPP is very sophisticated. It cost over a billion dollars to develop. Making changes to that type of software is not easy. I guarantee Disney has ran the statistics on how many people are cancelling rooms and then utilizing their fast passes that were associated to those reservations. If they felt it warranted changing it would be done. This loop hole is a small fish in the Disney pond. Like I said earlier, Disney is concerned about making money for their shareholders.

2 Likes

Rumors out there that Disney has wised up, and FPs will be canceled starting 2/4. Anyone heard more?

1 Like

No Iā€™ve not seen that anywhere, where have you seen it?

Reported on Disboards and wdwmagic in rumors sections

2 Likes

The poster has a good track record of being right.

4 Likes

I hope it is right.

2 Likes

There are some legit questions though. Will this affect if you change your resort? Or cancel and immediately rebook to take advantage of a discount?

Wow! That will be interesting if true.

That is my concern because I change resorts a lot up until sometimes right before we go. Heck, we just got back and I changed us from Swan to BC 5 days before we left. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This is a concern for me as well., I have been known to change my resort just a few days out based on new availability. Would like to see something official on how it will work.

2 Likes

Any annual passholder should be able to confirm on 2/5. Iā€™m not so I canā€™t. Just go in and make a reservation for 60 days out, book fastpasses, and then cancel.

1 Like

It says in that link that there would be a 2 day grace period before they were cancelled. I definitely think there will be something in place, they know people change resorts.

2 Likes