Got my fast passes today with the help of a leading reservation! (changed from throwaway room)

I was pointing at myself!

I donā€™t think it was you I had in mind when I went off on my rant!

Iā€™d do this first if my group was small enough.

Does that matter? Canā€™t you umbrella the other members of your group?

Can I? Iā€™m afraid to play with something as valuable as a FP+!!!

Paging someone learned to the thread?

@OBNurseNH ?

(She might be in bed. Sheā€™s old. Once sheā€™s had her early bird dinner at Applebeeā€™s sheā€™s usually straight off to bed with a couple of bottles of wine. Youā€™ll not get sense out of her after that.)

2 Likes

Iā€™ll have to go back and read the origin. But usually if your party is all connected under MDE you can.

If someone could direct me to the details of this inquiry it would be helpful. My old, feeble, wine-addled brain needs all the help it can get.

1 Like

Yes, you would be able to umbrella everyone in.

As long as those people all had separate tickets linked, which were not part of a package.

With the new tickets however, you would need to check that the dates worked out. You donā€™t get 14 days to use your tickets unless you have 10 day ones (not exactly sure but I know you usually get an extra day or two to use the tickets for shorter stays, pretty sure you only reach 14 days with a 9or 10 day ticket).

And you canā€™t activate tickets early either.

I too havenā€™t read every post, so donā€™t know the complete story, as to who asked what etc.

Thatā€™s just the beginning of possible RS abuse. You could use the same child to activate RS on everybother member of your party if they went in one at a time, then swap bands and have the ā€œtoo afraidā€ child go in. Basically if you abuse RS and swap bands you can sell your soul for effectively infinite Fastpasses.

With the tickets now being date specific, can you still book at 60+14 if your tickets arenā€™t until the 60 day mark?

Can you explain, not sure I understand the question.

You can book for 14 days at 60 days out if you have a ticket that is valid for at least that long. So:

• a 10 day ticket, maybe 9 (not sure how long these are valid for)
  • a flexible ticket, which costs more but is valid for 14 days
  • a U.K. 14 or 21 day ticket
  • an AP with an onsite stay for 14 days or more
  • an old-style ticket

Thanks. You answered my question (I believe). I have a 4 day base ticket for Apr 27-30. I booked a leading reservation From Apr 13-Apr 30. Based on your answer, I wont be able to book FPP until Feb 26 (60 days before Apr 27.) Is this correct? Essentially, having the leading reservation does me no good since I have a 4 day ticket associated with dates.

This whole thread is making me sad. I think it is one thing to have lots of information ā€“ which Liners share with all comers, which is totally honorable ā€“ on how Disney works to optimize as anyone could do if they had the information ā€“ thatā€™s fair ā€“ and quite another to cheat the system by lying, whether actively verbally as described on the RS scheme, or passively through dishonest behavior via the resort reservation-never-meant-to-be-kept scheme.
Iā€™m going to bed before I regret my recent decision to become active on the site. :pensive:

7 Likes

I understand you feeling that way, but reading back I think most of us probably agree a similar level of whatā€™s crossing the line, while there will always be a grey area of what is or isnā€™t okay Iā€™ve been pretty encouraged.
A good example is my own approach vs @ryan1 where I felt it was okay to book and pay for a campsite for one night to save myself money and get the FPP benefits, in the end Ryan didnā€™t.
However I wouldnā€™t feel at all comfortable booking and then entirely cancelling, and it seems like most here feel the same.
With the Rider Swap stuff, no oneā€™s actually condoned using those, but I did find it very interesting to understand what people might do. Again, at least the majority here wouldnā€™t feel those were acceptable. In a diverse world thatā€™s probably the best we can hope for.
Personally on a UK forum I got myself deleted from a thread for condemning someone who advocated DAS scamming, the only time thatā€™s ever happened, because I felt so indignant about it and made that clear.
This community must be one of the most informed Disney users in the world (which is why Iā€™ve come here to learn). I donā€™t think itā€™s inappropriate for us to explore all the ways the systems can be used and even abused, and thatā€™s certainly the way Iā€™ve approached it. Even SneakyPete who explained how it can be abused was clear in his condemnation of RS scamming, so I hope that helps you not feel too sad. Weā€™re all Disney system fanatics, and discovering and discussing the ā€˜flawsā€™ in the system is fascinating - it doesnā€™t mean we advocate it.

11 Likes

Thank you ā€“ I really appreciate this thoughtful post and your kindness in offering it.

3 Likes

I too understand how you feel. In many ways, I kinda agree with you. But I think my lines in the sand have altered.

I would absolutely call someone out for scamming the DAS. And to be honest if the question I answered had appeared in a thread of itā€™s own, and/or it had been clear this was a ā€œI never meant to keep this reservationā€ situation, I may well not have replied. Thatā€™s what I tend to do if I donā€™t agree with whatā€™s being proposed. But because it appeared far down on a thread, I didnā€™t really think about it and just answered it as clearly as I could.

Generally I now find it relatively easy to just ignore threads on topics that will rile me. Iā€™ve decided that itā€™s pointless to get worked up over people exploiting loopholes. Many people think the use of a Rider Switch at all is cheating. So too the ā€œumbrellaā€ system to book FPs for friends and family with different check-in dates or even off-site.

I take the view the system is designed to do those things, therefore it isnā€™t cheating. Where it seems the system is not sophisticated enough to cope with things, like the leading reservation, then itā€™s not my problem and if they really wanted to stop it they could - and indeed they have started closing loopholes.

3 Likes

I do not want to put myself at the center of this conversation by constantly replying, but I do want to thank you very much, as well.

Many years ago when miles programs were all the rage and actually useful, a common practice was to book a room in middle-of-nowhere, Idaho or somewhere with the rock bottom cheapest rate during 3x or 5x weekends or some promotion like that to rack up miles faster. The rooms, of course, never got used. This practice was rampant and no one gave it a second thought. People would discuss in forums very much like this one who got the lowest rate and where. These practices were celebrated even publicized in international newspapers! It was fun. Outsmarting the system was not considered fooling the system.

I subscribe to this school of thought. I donā€™t particularly think that using throwaway is immoral or unethical. Iā€™ve seen and used this sort of practices for a good couple of decades. The fact that this is Disney makes no difference to me.

Iā€™m not excusing myself but I always end up scratching my head when I see how polarizing this topic is. I just canā€™t process why a few clicks on my computer here and there are the difference between right and wrong for some, or why anyone would care.

Full disclosure: I donā€™t use throwaways. I just cancel outright within the agreed date.

3 Likes

Would this be a good place to divulge how I churn credit cards? Have $1200 sitting on cards now for next trip and hope to churn two more before fallā€¦

2 Likes

Iā€™m with you on this @SneakyPete . At the end of the day Disney is in business to make money. Their responsibly is to the shareholders. Period. They have made taking a trip to the world very very expensive. I am lucky in the fact I can afford to take my family to the world. With that being said, they establish their guidelines for canceling rooms with a refund. They establish the rules for FPP being tied to tickets and not a reservation. They donā€™t restrict this practice to certain people. Anyone can do it. You arenā€™t cheating any system. Itā€™s not an elite program where only a few can do it. Anyone can do it.

2 Likes