Galactic Starcruiser Taking Final Voyage 9/28-30/23

I’ve been there :smiley:
I spent some time in Hemel Hempstead.

4 Likes

Lived there for a few months… 15-16 years ago. Lost count.

1 Like

No but there’s some American history at GCSE level (the exams you take at 16 when you leave high school).

4 Likes

I always hated history when I was a kid through most of high school. It felt so irrelevant at the time. But it did tend to focus heavily on rather high-level facts.

This changed for me in 11th grade, however. AP U.S. History, the teacher was so engaging…but one of the things she told us from the start was that there is no point in memorizing a bunch of random facts, dates, etc. Instead, what she wanted was for us to come away with understanding how the people FELT during those times. Suddenly, for the first time ever, history was actually interesting! And…since I was (and still am) terrible at memorizing things, it was a breath of fresh air. (Although…it wasn’t an easy class by any stretch of the imagination.)

So, can I rattle off the names of the presidents in order? Or what specific years things happened? No. But I did grasp a general sense of what was going on during various time periods.

As far as which King was on the throne during any of this? I couldn’t have even told you his name is George (despite me listening through the Hamilton soundtrack quite a bit) because I’m just SO horrible with remember names. Like REALLY horrible. (Fortunately, I DO recall that our first president was named George…so, I have that at least.) :laughing:

7 Likes

Does voting to separate count as rebelling? :wink:

I take an interest in Scottish separation votes/polls because Quebec almost voted to be ‘sovereign’ from Canada in 1995, and I lived through that.

4 Likes

Yes! I love this!!

I absolutely love history, now as an adult, but it was as dull as dishwater in high school :sleeping::sleeping:

Something I love doing is connecting people and events through timelines and filling in the blanks of the stories.
Visiting castles/historical sites and watching movies based on events helps immensely with this.
Knowing dates of births/deaths of random people in history (mostly) does not.

4 Likes

Not if it didn’t work :roll_eyes::roll_eyes::rofl::rofl:

4 Likes

This 100% … if you send an email asking for two pieces of information, most likely you get only one.

3 Likes

Wait did I have some sort of bizarro education? I learned all the presidents in history class and I used to be able to tell you them in order. (Ugh)

I don’t know ALL the English monarchs, but I do know quite a lot. I have several large textbooks on English history that I may read for fun.

Then again, I do read for fun and so far in 2023 have read 126 books on my library app and probably another 20-30 real books scattered around my home. My nightstand currently has 6 books to read and there’s 9 on the floor I have read in the last couple of months. I also speed read. Lol

I love history. And reading. Sigh

3 Likes

Repurpose Idea: Why not make it into a mini-land? There is no SW sit down, so use the one in the hotel. Guests line up for the ‘transport/bus’ to the mini land like the AK train. Arrive on the Starcruiser. There is the restaurant, put in a shop with exclusive merch, explore, get in line for ‘attractions’: 1) the bridge simulator/game, 2) modified Lobby Show 3) reworked scavenger hunt with all the interactive rooms. If the hotel is out, then maybe put the VOID in there or tear that part down and put in a dark ride or something. Put in screens in the transport to make it like the hogwarts express or the Space220 ‘elevator’. So there, you just expanded SWGE capacity. One ‘could’ even make it a ‘special’ park hopper entrance/exit with busses going to the hotel entrance so you enter/exit the mini land via the ‘transport/elevator’ up to the starcruiser. You could give other resort guests extra magic hours to start in the mini-land before the rest of the park opens.

15 Likes

I LOVE this idea!!!

1 Like

Can confirm. Whenever I send her a message, she replies instantly with “lol”.

She reads so fast it’s almost as if she hasn’t read it at all.

3 Likes

There are some interesting series on Netflix. There was a couple on castles that touched on the history of the monarchs and that led to some recommendations of other things related. I can’t recall the titles but it was way more interesting than hearing about it in World History class.

2 Likes

Exactly! That’s why I retained none of it, lol.

1 Like

I loved my 10th grade World History teacher who at the time did this revolutionary thing. Taught history by concept instead of chronologically. It was much more meaningful. I had a great US History professor in college. For the first time ever, I found US History engaging. It’s a shame that public schools have to dumb down history and rah rah America because really discussing our past and why we did what we did and how we grew from that and why our present is the way it is, is so much more interesting than rah rah Murica!

Plus I love the story about Sam Houston telling his wife to tell whomever I can’t remember was once his friend and an elected official that broke the Native American Treaty that S. Houston had helped create to wait till he was dead and then let him come in and “Kiss his cold, dead a$$” I mean I haven’t forgot it 25 years later (except the other man’s name! LOL)

4 Likes

It was Secrets of Great British Castles. Loved that series.

3 Likes

Yea this is what I was pondering earlier! I think you could do all this and keep it as a hotel, though it would probably need increased room capacity to make sense financially.

3 Likes

raise your hand if you think the hold music is super weird! :raising_hand_woman:

3 Likes

What hold music? I’m curious!

1 Like

For those of us on hold since 7a est trying to get our clients booked. And apparently they are not taking any more calls. Fairly infuriating since I got through right at 6:59:58 and called the correct line but got rerouted anyway.

3 Likes